Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Limerick County Constituency/GE 2011

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭flutered

Both of ye cop on and post like adults. Thanks.

please tell where have i erred.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

flutered wrote: »
    please tell where have i erred.

The "hoover up the muckers vote" line was fairly condescending.
    munsterdevil's response, while inappropriately sarcastic, highlighted this.

That is all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭liammur

I agree, it was crazy to effectively divide Limerick into 3.

FF will more than likely loose a seat. I'd imagine Collins will be under most pressure as his Abbeyfeale stronghold has been sucked into the new Kerry North/Limerick west constituency

No. I would say Collins is practically guaranteed a seat. Don't know why though, as Limerick county has done very badly under FF.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭bacon&cabbage

liammur wrote: »
    No. I would say Collins is practically guaranteed a seat. Don't know why though, as Limerick county has done very badly under FF.

As usual Liam, quite brilliant political analysis :rolleyes:

The "hoover up the muckers vote" line was fairly condescending.
    munsterdevil's response, while inappropriately sarcastic, highlighted this.

That is all.
    i have lived in the counrty most of my adult life, the farming community has for as long as i remember have been known as muckers, some that i know actually call themselves muckers, what problem have insect overloard with this, the other poster made reference to my spelling, not my use of the word muckers, insect overloard jumped the gun and hit both of us, in another life i had sargent majors who were not as gung ho as the mods on boards.ie, as for my spelling i have some eminent medical people who are willing to give a valid reason for this happening, sometimes more often than others.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Get over yourself, please, or I'll lock this thread. Commenting about how I moderate on-thread is dragging it off-topic. If you want to argue the warning, send me a PM. If you want to post in this thread, do so to discuss the upcoming election as relevant to this constituency.

I'll lock this soon if people can't discuss matters maturely. Final warning.

As usual Liam, quite brilliant political analysis :rolleyes:

Only time will tell, but i will be stunned if collins doesn't top the poll.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭A Country Voice

I think theres a rumour around that John Dillon from Pallasgreen former IFA president might run as an independent.
    I havent seen confirmation of this though.
    He might pick up a lot of former "East Limerick" votes as he would be from the old East Limerick Constituency, (none of the other confirmed candidates are). The Agricultural voter might back him too, a lot of them did before!

http://www.rte.ie/news/2001/1218/farmers.html

Anyone know of anyone else?

A Country Voice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,211 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

How is Alan Kelly the Labour MEP able to spend his time canvassing in North Tipp while being paid to represent us in Europe? Also how come he can use the SIPTU offices in Templemore Nenagh & Thurles as his constituency offices?

labour cc james heffernan moved to a job in dublin from his job teaching in mitchelstown, does he now qualify for milage from dublin to limerick for co council meetings, if he does it must be a nice little moxey, if he gets elected to the dail will he claim expenses from dublin or from kilfinnane.

• Advertisement

one has to wonder now that cregan has decided to retire, will collins entice ryan cc his constituncy secetary to run, in an effort to hoover up some support in the east of the constituncy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Not many to choose from in fairness.
    I like Dan Nevilles work on mental health and suicide, but there's not a chance in hell I will vote for Fine gael. Over the last few elections I've just spoiled my vote, as theres been no one I wanted to vote for, I really don't want to do that again this year. Is there any decent independents running?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Cellach

John Dillon, former head of the IFA, is running as an 'independent', although that translates in this case as a 'vested interest'. He's a old style lobbyist, something along the same lines as Tom Parlon, of the construction industry federation fame.

I'll be voting for James Heffernan myself, can't abide Fine Gael, and wouldn't spit on Collins if he was on fire.

Threads merged.

Threads merged.

Doh didn't see this thread!

Yeah heared about this John Dillon guy as he was in canvassing the parents last week.
    Few of his policies I disagree with:
    Experts in each field of running the country need to be introduced to the Dáil if our country is to be properly run. The present system has proven to be a disaster.
    If we've learned anything from the financial collapse, it that so called 'experts' haven't a clue what they're doing.We had vastly experienced people in charge of the banking institutions,HSE etc and this didn't help us one iota. What about ordinary, working people, who work on the front line of service and business making decisions and having an input into government strategy?This imo, would be a lot more beneficial than calling in 'experts'. The government have spend billions on consultancy fee's over the years and its done nothing to help this country.

Theres nothing about introducing a progressive taxation system, or stricter regulations for tax exiles, so where is he planning to get the money to put into more jobs in West Limerick etc? Though I am very impressed he mentions white collar crime, as very few politicians do!

Hmmm,don't think he's for me tbh,seems to be be pretty similar to the other mainstream parties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

panda100 wrote: »
    Not many to choose from in fairness.
    I like Dan Nevilles work on mental health and suicide, but there's not a chance in hell I will vote for Fine gael. Over the last few elections I've just spoiled my vote, as theres been no one I wanted to vote for, I really don't want to do that again this year. Is there any decent independents running?

You could just not vote?! Please explain!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭TheDietShop.ie

I have to agree with the opinions on Dan Neville FG , he has done great work on mental health issues. I think he will top the poll.

The boundary change is probably going to work in Labours favour alright.

So voted in Rathkeale at half 7 this morning. Just gave one vote into the end to Jame Heffernan, as I felt he was the best of a very bad bunch. Didn't bother with preferences as there is no one else I want to see in the dail.

Anyone else voted?

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭A Country Voice

I'd love to know who the 9 people who voted for sinn fein in the poll voted for in the real election seeing as sinn fein didnt run a candidate in the Limerick Constituency.

I gave everyone a number all the way up to 9. I couldnt bring myself to write number 10 beside the green party fella who ran in the local elections in dublin last time out ha ha.

The craic starts in the morning :-)
    I suppose it'll be tomorrow afternoon evening until we know anything really.
    A Country Voice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

Sorry to be off-topic, but, does anyone know where the limerick county votes are being counted?

Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 640 ✭✭✭DBIreland

mud wrote: »
    Sorry to be off-topic, but, does anyone know where the limerick county votes are being counted?

Cheers.

The racecourse normally, not sure if you can just walk in though. Sometimes a pass is required to get in to these things.

I have to agree with the opinions on Dan Neville FG , he has done great work on mental health issues. I think he will top the poll.

The boundary change is probably going to work in Labours favour alright.

Dan Neville should realise that Limerick has been badly hit with the lack of jobs, and he's never raised this so i'm disappointed to see him do well. Hope the labour guy gets the 3rd seat.

I think Dan Neville is well aware of the situation, he has a son who has gone to Australia I believe, not sure about the rest of his children. Also works very hard on mental health issues which come hand in hand with recesionary times.

Not sure was it the best idea of FG to run 3 candidates as it looks like it will be a close run thing.

Well done to all 3 elected cadidates. Especially patrick o donovan, unlucky for the labour candidate Heffernan but a strong showing and a good base to build upon. next time

I really do not understand the people of Limerick county at all, giving its highest vote to Niall Collins?!

This is the same man who in 2007 backed the goverments proposal to pull the Shannon-Heathrow route,which proved detrimental to the airport, and backed other ff policies that crippled Limerick county. A man who claimed €155,329 in expenses,this is 5 times the average industrial wage, and that is on top of a salary that most of us can only dream off

Seriously,what is everyone thinking??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

I guess its a case of rubbish alternatives

I suppose politics is still very much localised in Ireland ad he picked up a lot of votes through the family name.

Still there needs to be a lot of reform done in the way we elect TD's, just because you have a name is no reason to be voted for, half the number of td's would be plenty

wingnut wrote: »
    I guess its a case of rubbish alternatives

i assume you are on about heffernan o donnell dillon etc, they are genuine people, i have seen on p.ie where collins has claimed 153k in expenses on top of his wage, never opened his mouth about local issues.

flutered wrote: »
    never opened his mouth about local issues.

Oh he has but it was all hot air. I wouldn't trust him as far as I could thrown him!
    I know all of my relatives around west Limercik are staunch FF supporters, wouldn't support anyone else :rolleyes: I think all we can do is wait for that staunch FF generation to die off, as that is the only way I would even contemplate moving home to live and work in West Limerick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

I gave my number one and two votes to Pat O'Donovan and William O'Donnell. Anyone who voted Fianna Fáil should get their head examined. Rather simplistic i know but it's true.

Advertisement