Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sawing loose logs

• 25-11-2010 5:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭

I recently took apart an old fence that we had and which was made out of rough logs about 1.5-2m long. I reckon I can get a year or two worth of firewood out of it. The wood is still sound and not rotten.

My problem is going to be cutting it all up. I have a chainsaw, but while it's fine for cutting standing wood it's not really ideal for loose logs like this.

I can think of all sorts of plans for securing the wood while I go at it with the saw, but I'm not convinced it would be terribly safe. What's the suggested way of cutting this sort of stuff ? Would I be better off with something other than a chainsaw ? Normally I would just go at each log individually with a hand saw but for the volume of stuff thatI have not I don't think that's going to be a runner.

I have a workbench vice which should hold each log steady while I cut but it sounds like it could be a lot of opening and closing work which won't really lead to a very efficient process.

Any suggestions ?

z

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭sealgaire

Yeah, get somebody to hold them :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Put two of the logs on the ground.If you can, put a wooden stake in either side of these two.Put the log to be cut in the middle and cut it, don't try and cut over the edge just let the saw run down into the two logs on the ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

Thanks for that mp22 - that makes perfect sense. I'll stake it out in the back garden and let rip.

sealgaire - not funny. There are people out there who would try cutting logs with someone holding the end. No, it doesn't matter that you put a smilie at the end.

z

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

2 concrete blocks/brcks.

Lay the logs down 2 at a time on the 2 bricks,and just slice through them with a chain saw or a leccy sabre saw.

Simple as that and Job done.:D

P.S.Done it this way with 5 large cordaline trees that were dug up out of my back garden.

Made for a nice bit of firewood.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Your back will thank you:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sawbuck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

SlimJimmc is right the sawbuck(sawhorse?) is designed for this sort of use and will considerably ease the back strain.

Link

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

tommycahir wrote: »
    SlimJimmc is right the sawbuck(sawhorse?) is designed for this sort of use and will considerably ease the back strain.

Link

Pointless and a waste of money for something that 2 bricks and a chainsaw or electric sabre saw can sort out in a few minutes.

That sawbuck would be great if you were cutting logs/wood on a daily basis,but for a once off like cutting up some fence logs,its a waste of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Brenireland

An Axe.Grand job.

Advertisement