Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

An update from the forum's favourite son...

• 25-11-2010 5:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭

Remember Stephen Ireland? ;)

He tweets rarely these days but this caught the attention today -

https://twitter.com/#!/StephenIreland
    might have to give trap a buzz to get a game!

This response gave me a laugh -
    Man City kicked u out. Aston Villa will do the same soon...I hear Darlington have a position for an ex-international. Forget it.Nobody wants u playing for Ireland , u asshole

Watch this space!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Remember Stephen Ireland? ;)

He tweets rarely these days but this caught the attention today -

https://twitter.com/#!/StephenIreland

This response gave me a laugh -

Watch this space!

Meh, if he did a U Turn i'd welcome him back with open arms. Hasn't lit it up with Villa yet but he's still a great player IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Meh. There's nothing to be said that hasn't been said a hundred times before. The only difference now is that he probably wouldn't get into the squad now anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Oblivion is beckoning, Stephen. Run along, good lad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,328 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

ziggy wrote: »

Yeah, but i think he has achieved just as much as those in his position in the Ireland squad!

I admire his sense of humour! :D

And I reckon that was Paul Green responding to him!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Enda Brady, Irish guy working for Sky News tweeted last week that Stephen Ireland would be coming back!

He's has just tweeted...
    endabrady
    and whatever anyone thinks, I'm told @StephenIreland will be welcomed back. "Water under the bridge, let's move on", I hear . . .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

Hopefully this is a sign of his intention to compete.
    He's looked very apathetic in some games for Villa but still manages to play the odd killer ball. I really hope he changes his attitude soon :/

Not really. He had a great season with City, what the season before last? Was played in a less attacking role for the start of last season and then frozen out in the second half. Bad start this season but i saw enough of him 2 seasons ago to describe him as a great player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭LeeroyJones

Beggars cannot be choosers................. so the question is, are we beggars?!!!

• Advertisement

Having a bad season or two doesn't make you a bad one either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Degag wrote: »
    Having a bad season or two doesn't make you a bad one either.
    Good thing no-one said he was a bad player so, just that he wasn't great.

And isn't Xavi's OP pretty much the definition of trolling?

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

28064212 wrote: »

Well it's great we all have different opinions then. He was a big creative force behind City that season. Never stopped running for the full ninety anytime i saw him. Often helping his defense out and straight away up to attack. Chipped in with alot of assists and goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

Well it's great we all have different opinions then. He was a big creative force behind City that season. Never stopped running for the full ninety anytime i saw him. Often helping his defense out and straight away up to attack. Chipped in with alot of assists and goals.

Wish he would do that at Villa.

Tbh, until he does then Ireland wouldn't be better off without him.
    He's not playing much at Villa cause he was told to work harder, he doesn't seem interested in doing so if he's looking to come back to the national squad.

It's a horrible shame. Great talent being wasted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

I thought this thread was about CHD. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Johner wrote: »

And I thought it was Boggles. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,953 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Mikeyt086 wrote: »

Headshot was the first name that jumped into my head...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Only if you're not familiar with Xavi!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

twitter isnt his apparently

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,026 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Meh. There's nothing to be said that hasn't been said a hundred times before. The only difference now is that he probably wouldn't get into the squad now anyway.
    LMFAO. I didn't realise we had a star studded midfield. We don't have one guy capable of playing midfield to a decent level until David Meyler is fit.

• Advertisement

eagle eye wrote: »
    LMFAO. I didn't realise we had a star studded midfield. We don't have one guy capable of playing midfield to a decent level until David Meyler is fit.

Ireland isn't playing well, but he'd still walk into our first team!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Beggars cannot be choosers................. so the question is, are we beggars?!!!

Yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭thegen

Well the IMF think we are;););)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Ush1 wrote: »
    Yes.
    Speak for yourself buddy. I'm no beggar.

I watched us barely fail to qualify for the last WC, no thanks to that balding little prick. And I'm telling you now, I won't be supporting an Ireland team with him on it. Fcuk him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

no one has put his jeep in yet so..........

this is another of his 'specials'

manchester-city-s-stephen-ireland-and-his-bling-bentley-15357-image4.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Jordonvito

IrelandPinkRange_468x269.jpg

say what....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Ebbs

Helix wrote: »

I doubt it too. His tweets are too normal considering hes a complete headcase.

He doesnt fit into Trap's system anyway, so cant see him being welcomed back straight into the team, which is what he expects I'm sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,833 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Whoever posted that reply on twitter deserves his/her own National day of appreciation.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

mink man surely?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Would like to see him play again. Would be a great player to have in our mediocre team.
    no one has put his jeep in yet so..........

this is another of his 'specials'

manchester-city-s-stephen-ireland-and-his-bling-bentley-15357-image4.jpg
    Jordonvito wrote: »
    IrelandPinkRange_468x269.jpg

say what....

Love the way these threads follow the same pattern.

Someone posts a picture of hes car and then the thread just flies off topic taking the piss out of him.
    Gets pretty repetitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

L'prof wrote: »
    Ireland isn't playing well, but he'd still walk into our first team!

I take it you don't mean Arsenal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Stephen Ireland does not deserve to play for Ireland after the disrespect he showed the whole country by refusing to line out for the national team. It is an honour and a privilege to play for one's country. He turned his back on his native land, and insulted every Irish person in the process.

You are not welcome in this country Mr Ireland (oh the irony of his name) and you are certainly not welcome back in an Irish shirt.

grenache wrote: »
    Stephen Ireland does not deserve to play for Ireland after the disrespect he showed the whole country by refusing to line out for the national team. It is an honour and a privilege to play for one's country. He turned his back on his native land, and insulted every Irish person in the process.

You are not welcome in this country Mr Ireland (oh the irony of his name) and you are certainly not welcome back in an Irish shirt.
    OTT IMO. He could walk back onto the team IMO. No central midfielder in our set up can even touch him i think. He made a mistake, that's true. Being honest i'd overlook it if he came back. He has 4 goals in 6 games, a small sample period but i honestly think he could have the same affect as a Roy Keane if he came back.

OPENROAD wrote: »
    I take it you don't mean Arsenal?

Haha, no! Not even with Fabregas injured and Ramsey at Forest!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,026 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

grenache wrote: »

Ah will you get out of it ffs.

Michael Laudrup and his brother didn't play for Denmark for a couple of years over the coach. Ireland made a mistake and probably was embarrassed over it when it became national news. Its rumoured that certain players went overboard after that giving him stick. It turned him off the whole thing but if he can get over it and come back then its fine by me. He is still only 24 years of age and its not like he always refused to play for the team, its only since that incident happened. It didn't help to have a hopeless case in charge of the team who was only too willing to blame him for his own failures at the time. Trapp didn't help things either with his comments about not making eye contact. He should have kept his mouth shut.

If he came back I'd be delighted, it would increase our chances of winning games. At the end of the day thats what matters most. Don't get lost in your Irish pride and forget that what we want is the best for the national team and Stephen Ireland improves that team a lot.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

Meh, if he did a U Turn i'd welcome him back with open arms. Hasn't lit it up with Villa yet but he's still a great player IMO.
    No he's not he's average. Attitude means a hell of a lot in football and his sucks. There is a reason he's a failure at every club he's played for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Mister men wrote: »
    No he's not he's average.

He really isn't.
    Attitude means a hell of a lot in football and his sucks.

He's one of the most professional footballers going. His dedication in training etc is second to none.
    There is a reason he's a failure at every club he's played for.

I didn't realise being voted a club's Player of the Year ahead of the likes of Robinho, Elano and Dunne (4 time winner) amongst others makes you a failure.

Not forgetting a nomination for the league's Young Player of the Year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,591 ✭✭✭jaykay74

OTT IMO. He could walk back onto the team IMO. No central midfielder in our set up can even touch him i think. He made a mistake, that's true. Being honest i'd overlook it if he came back. He has 4 goals in 6 games, a small sample period but i honestly think he could have the same affect as a Roy Keane if he came back.

In fairness to Roy he is pushing on a bit now.

Houlliers take on Ireland a couple of weeks back...
    "If you say 'he is a good player but he doesn't defend, he doesn't run back, he loses too many balls in crucial areas', then that is difficult. He needs to get rid of these 'buts' about him and be a good player. He needs to work harder in games."

I would say good enough for Ireland since the bar is so low :) He has gone backwards fast over the last season and the bit of this one so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭Sappy404

I wouldn't read too much into this. His previous tweet (from July) was "staying in manchester!"

That said, it sounds as though he's more receptive to a recall. If he gets his game - or a loan move - and shows signs of a return to good form, I'd not be against him playing for Ireland again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Helix wrote: »

that would be my feeling also, can any say for sure its not him?
    Mikeyt086 wrote: »

boggles is alive and well and in good form, just not posting here.

• Advertisement

davyjose wrote: »
    Speak for yourself buddy. I'm no beggar.

I watched us barely fail to qualify for the last WC, no thanks to that balding little prick. And I'm telling you now, I won't be supporting an Ireland team with him on it. Fcuk him.

I'm not your buddy, friend!
    canada-on-strike-20080403035617966.jpg

But seriously, our squad is by far the most impoverished with regards to quality in many generations.

I think if he wants to play and plays well, I've no problem with that. The real issue is, would Trap even play him? If he did I think it would only be on the wing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

L'prof wrote: »
    Haha, no! Not even with Fabregas injured and Ramsey at Forest!
    Thanks for Ramsey by the way, we'll take good care of him :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

potentially our best player alright, but i love the way we all assume Trap would play him.

*cough* Séamus Coleman, Andy Reid, even Steven Reid *cough*

R_H_C_P wrote: »
    Love the way these threads follow the same pattern.

Someone posts a picture of hes car and then the thread just flies off topic taking the piss out of him.
    Gets pretty repetitive.
    Yeah, but it's invariably Xavi who is the first to post a picture "to get it out of the way"

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

I hate all this crap like "he doesn't deserve to play for the team after the disrespect he showed". As an Irish supporter all I care about is winning games and qualifying for major tournaments. To do that we need our best players.

Now if I had my choice between Green and Ireland in midfield I know who I'd pick. Ireland gives us something we're severly lacking, an attack minded midfielder who's good on the ball and can score goals. Yes his attitude can leave a lot to be disired and I might not like him as a person but if he comes into the team and plays well then I'm more than happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭bullpost

I think he'll come back when he realises not playing for your country can count against you in your professional career.
    I expect to see him back, weave cap in hand pretty soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I'd jump at the chance to have him back. Hes the type of player that can win a game, last time I checked we didnt have to many of them in our squad.

bullpost wrote: »
    I think he'll come back when he realises not playing for your country can count against you in your professional career.
    How? I suppose you won't get quite the same exposure as you would at a World Cup, but any manager would much prefer if their players didn't play international football. You only have to look at Man United to see the advantages of giving up international football to further your professional career - Scholes, Giggs, Van Der Sar, Berbatov

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭bullpost

"I will speak to him. I prefer to speak to all my players, not with email. I know that he is a very good player and I am not one of those coaches who don’t like my players to go and play for their national team. I like them to play, it means they are at the top of their form if they are playing for their country," said Houllier.

Not a universally held sentiment but oddly enough our Stephen has ended up playing for such a manager.

Call it Karma!
    How? I suppose you won't get quite the same exposure as you would at a World Cup, but any manager would much prefer if their players didn't play international football. You only have to look at Man United to see the advantages of giving up international football to further your professional career - Scholes, Giggs, Van Der Sar, Berbatov

What benefits has he reaped?

• Advertisement
Advertisement