Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thread previews when hovering mouse over titile....

Options
  • 25-11-2010 6:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭

When you hover the mouse pointer over the title of a thread, a preview of the first post appears, but it doesn't stay long enough to read the whole thing. So I have to open the thread in a separate tab only to realize that the thread is actually a load of shyte.

Can you increase the time by a few seconds?

Thanks
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83,206 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

The preview stays up indefinitely as long as you aren't moving your mouse around. Once you twitch the mouse, it disappears again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

The tooltips like that are controlled entirely by your browser. There is nothing that boards can do to extend the amount of time they remain open.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

Read quicker :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

The tooltips like that are controlled entirely by your browser. There is nothing that boards can do to extend the amount of time they remain open.
    ^This.

There was an add-on for older versions of Firefox that held the tooltips open until you moved your mouse. I think the newer versions of FF leave them open indefinitely by default.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭0verblood

I guess it's cos I'm using Chrome? I just tried it again and the preview disappears after a few seconds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Yes, as aidan_walsh said, it's entirely up to your browser. It's a standard HTML tag that is being used, not some configurable JavaScript.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

0verblood wrote: »
    I guess it's cos I'm using Chrome? I just tried it again and the preview disappears after a few seconds.

I'm using chrome and it stays.

Same on Chrome on OS X, but I don't know how it works on Windows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

I'm using Opera and it stays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

Firefox on windows and it stays as long as the mouse doesn't move an inch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

I'm using Chrome on Windows, the preview only stays for about 4&1/2 seconds. Instead of opening the page though, I usually just rehover over it.

Sort of off topic, but I've seen a nice mod to vBulletin where you can click on an icon and see the entire first post of a thread - would be a nice addition to boards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Carl.Gustav

Obviously a talented team lol

I don't follow you.

How do you propose they change something the software doesn't let them change?

• Registered Users Posts: 83,206 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

eoin wrote: »
    Sort of off topic, but I've seen a nice mod to vBulletin where you can click on an icon and see the entire first post of a thread - would be a nice addition to boards.
    Im sure there are plenty of browser addons that allow you to do the same thing not just for first posts but for all sorts of links.

I don't follow you.

How do you propose they change something the software doesn't let them change?

are you kidding ?
    'the software doesn't let them'
    anybody worth his salt could implement his own solution or hack it or whatever.
    Software is a tool !
    when is the last time you heard a carpenter say
    'The hammer doesn't let me'
    because thats the equivalent of what you just said, and yes it is just that pathetic.

eh, it's nothing to do with boards, and they have no control over how long a tooltip is open for. it's to do with the browser you're using and the settings on that. I suppose boards should also change the default font you see in your browser or the zoom setting. the developers here are just magic that can do those things on your computer.

Carl, take it from at least one software developer here, that this feature is not something boards developers can change. it is purely down to the way whichever browser you're using is programmed to deal with it.

Carl, take it from at least one software developer here, that this feature is not something boards developers can change. it is purely down to the way whichever browser you're using is programmed to deal with it.

Sorry but are you telling me in 2010 soon to be 2011

it is impossible to program a tooltip to stay open forever

A tooltip is not a biggie

if the out of the box tags don't work then implement your own solution

it's not hard, it's web 2.0 to say you can't keep a tooltip open is just incredibly bizarre

I am sure it's possible - just probably not very important.

• Advertisement

Sorry but are you telling me in 2010 soon to be 2011

it is impossible to program a tooltip to stay open forever

A tooltip is not a biggie

if the out of the box tags don't work then implement your own solution

it's not hard, it's web 2.0 to say you can't keep a tooltip open is just incredibly bizarre

Well since you know so much about it, why not go figure out how to do it, and then tell boardsie developers what to do.

eoin wrote: »
    I am sure it's possible - just probably not very important.

as opposed to what, it's making use of the site difficult

can you name any other issue right now which is ' important'

this issue was raised YEARS ago - at least 2007 if I can remember correctly, yes I was browsing the site then and it was brushed aside then as it appears it is now, because whoever runs the site doesn't have the inclination to sit down and spend a few minutes looking at fixing a PROBLEM which is effecting use of the site.

It's a disgrace, it's an indication of what the people who run this site are about, they are about the most profit from the least work.

It's the same attitude that destroyed this country and every last person involved in boards should hang their heads in shame.

If your users cannot report a problem with the site without those running it resorting to herpa derpa thats what it says on the tin , then please sell boards to someone who is capable of looking into problems and implementing solutions.

I am so disgusted right now with the attitude thats coming across, an attitude of duh I just bought da web package i dunno nuffink bout how dis stuff works lol

If I spent the whole week looking for failure I couldn't come across a bigger one than a tooltip issue thats been open for YEARS

Do any of you people have the slightest bit of self respect ?

I reiterate - It's nothing to do with boards. It's a browser issue.

Well since you know so much about it, why not go figure out how to do it, and then tell boardsie developers what to do.

I would sort it out in 5 minutes, not even coming from a technical background but i've done a bit of web/vb/c++ for fun and I am damn sure

that a tooltip

lol a tooltip

once more for the guys down the back

A TOOLTIP

would not be a problem

whiteman19 wrote: »
    I reiterate - It's nothing to do with boards. It's a browser issue.

it's a browser issue because they are using default tags

solution = don't

yea that was hard wasn't it

Which is a bad idea for compatibility and accessibility reasons.

Which is a bad idea for compatibility and accessibility reasons.

OK lol

Implement solution if not compatible fall back to default

yea it really is this hard

it's so so hard to implement a custom tooltip

tooltips - the last unchartered territory

A crack team of the worlds top computer scientists have been seconded away to a secret location and for the last ten years have been working 24/7 to try to crack the final hurdle to complete human mastery of IT systems - THE TOOLTIP

Watch this space, and Godspeed scientists , good luck in defeating the fiery tooltip dragon

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Even better than "fixing" the tooltip to behave the same on all browsers...get rid of the damn thing. I HATE IT It is constantly in the frickin way. At least give a user setting to disable the damn things. The damn tooltip is the thing I hate most by a LONG way about boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Implement solution if not compatible fall back to default
    Jaysus, even worse. Custom-developed tooltip == more code in the page, less consistency across browser (not more), and more things that can go wrong.

One of the biggest follies that you see developers doing, in all languages and platforms, is writing their own code to perform a function which the platform or API already performs perfectly adequately and which has been tested far more rigorously than an individual can hope to test.
    In this case, the browser is the platform and it does a perfectly good job without adding significant bulk and bugs to the code on the page.

Also "testing" for compatibility to have a fall-back function is in itself a funny game. What happens when your compatibility test fails because of a corrupt cache or disabled javascript?

On a bog-standard website, you'll get away with this. But when the site is on the scale of boards.ie, there are so many permutations of what can go wrong with what is a very minor and possibly massively unused piece of code that it's simply not worth it for the possible headaches and for ongoing maintenance.

Instead, it's much easier to advise users for whom this is an issue, to switch to a browser which better supports their surfing needs. In this case, Firefox allows you to alter the display time of tooltips and is therefore the most appropriate browser for users who make use of them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Aye - it's the age old trap most novice developers fall into:

"If it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet"

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement