Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carpentry cost (doors, frames, skirting, architrave)

Options
  • 25-11-2010 6:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭

About to price around for the second fix Carpentry.

What should I expect to pay for hanging 12 doors including installing frames / locks and handles / architrave and about 130 metres of skirting (all red deal) and a small bit of shelving in the hotpress?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭ronaldo84

i would say about 2000 - 2400 euro for labour

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭braftery

is that labour only or material (doors, frames, locks, etc) plus labour ?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭martin46585

ronaldo84 wrote: »
    i would say about 2000 - 2400 euro for labour

would think you have quite a few duvet day if this is the "going rate" or maybe the thought of 85,000,000,000 has got people thinking about their share!!
    its not much more than a weeks work............:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭rok

would think you have quite a few duvet day if this is the "going rate" or maybe the thought of 85,000,000,000 has got people thinking about their share!!

Think it's on the high side myself but unfortunately :) the 2 quotes I've got back so far have been close enought to ronaldo84's estimate!

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭PaulieBoy

I would love to see ya doing that in a week. Closer to two weeks.
    I guess it could be done in a week but I would imagine the quality would be pretty poor. You would need a lot of filler!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭endasmail

jesus thats expensive
    weeks work ,just about for one man
    any lad getting 700 - 1000 for a weeks work is doing well in this day and age

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

My Man is 110 euro per day. If it is 2 weeks then we are talking 1100 euro.
    Best of luck.

I was just trying to work out the time needed to dothe work.

I am not a carpenter but my guess is;

1 Man

To place frame
    Fit lock
    Fit hinges
    Hang door
    Fit handles
    Fit architrave

would be about 6 hours per door

12 x 6 = 72 hours

Skirting

40 mtrs per day or lets say 5 mtrs per hour

130 / 5 = 26 hours

Shelfing

8 hours

Total =106 hours

Cost: €2200 incl VAT (1938 €ex VAT)

Thats about €18.28 per hour for a self empolyed fully equiped tradesman.

Are my timings way off ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

Thats about €14.90 per hour for a self empolyed fully equiped tradesman.

This mans tools cost a packet 14.90 is also below the rate set out for a carpenter if you can get a man for that and he has served his time fair play but you will find it hard

Carpenter wrote: »
    Thats about €14.90 per hour for a self empolyed fully equiped tradesman.

This mans tools cost a packet 14.90 is also below the rate set out for a carpenter if you can get a man for that and he has served his time fair play but you will find it hard

Carpenter,

I agree. That was the point of my post.
    My apologies for not being more ironic at the end about the hourly rate !

Sometimes I find it hard to understand how people work out the prices they expect to get work done for.

All jobs boil down to man hours and hourly rates.

Surely we need to start to respect the concept of quality workmanship and a job well done for a fair price. Fair to both parties.

Maybe you can confirm if you think my timings are about right ?

I think any good tradesman will always know the hourly rate he can charge and still keep his customers satisfied.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

braftery wrote: »
    To place frame
    Fit lock
    Fit hinges
    Hang door
    Fit handles
    Fit architrave

would be about 6 hours per door
    6 hours would be about right for a DIYer on his first attempt using tools from the ROK range at Woodies...

A pro with decent kit would have each one done in ~2 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭yosemite_sam

You should go down the pre hung route, it would take 2 hours on a cnc to prep the doors locks hinges and so on and they would be bang on leaving the factory. Get your doors delivered to some one with a cnc, and the chippy then has to fix them job done.

Hi All
    Before I say a thing just so as you know I am not looking for work I have being in this game all my life from the age of 16 (and doing the odd nixer with my uncle before that) and was a contract supervisor for 7 years so I know what I am talking about .
    1 3hrs would be about right for the doors and frames if the opes are ok I am not saying it cannot be done quicker but its all about the finish and I have seen some rough stuff in my time :o:o:o
    2 What are the walls like for the skirting the more cuts a carpenter has the more time it will take also are they solid block (I know people will say gun-o-preme on the back will do ) but it need to be fixed right or it will buckle over time .
    3 What area has to be covered with the shelving and is it mdf or what.
    I have seen mdf in a hot press aswell not a good job I can tell you .

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭sfakiaman

Gurgle wrote: »
    6 hours would be about right for a DIYer on his first attempt using tools from the ROK range at Woodies...

I'd say you're about right, I'm an experienced Diy'er and can hang three doors in a day. I would expect to do all that work in a week and not need filler.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 djml

Hi ROK I just had my house secondfixed by quality carpentry solutions ltd. Prices your getting seem a little high compared to what I payed. They would be worth contacting for a price as we are delighted with the standard of workmanship. We are based in waterford and they are based in meath but they didnt seem to mind. They were recomended to us by a friend so i guess their work is at least consistant. carpentry.ie is their web.:)

Thank you for correcting me on the timing ..

by the way, in my last post, my maths was wrong !! I corrected it now.

So ...

12 doors x 3 hrs = 36
    130m skirting @ 8m/hr = 16.25 (say 17)
    Shelfing = 8

61 hours

Cost €2200 (€1938 net) is €31.77 per hour

Now that kind of rate seems a bit steep to me.

braftery wrote: »
    Thank you for correcting me on the timing ..

by the way, in my last post, my maths was wrong !! I corrected it now.

So ...

12 doors x 3 hrs = 36
    130m skirting @ 8m/hr = 16.25 (say 17)
    Shelfing = 8

61 hours

Cost €2200 (€1938 net) is €31.77 per hour

Now that kind of rate seems a bit steep to me.

Yes it is at bit OTT haggle a bit but rember he still has to make a wage 1800 is about right if he is a good carpenter some people are going to say it can be done for less but and it is a big but what will the finish be like you have to live with it make sure the margins around the doors are right .

[QUOTE You would need a lot of filler!![/QUOTE]

its a joiner the op was after not a plasterer......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭SARAH ANNE

All very interesting,
    That work will not take a week,
    why
    because the carpenter will have a heap of fas young lads at it and if u findfault ul be asked wat do u know because like myself u are not an expert if we were we wouldnt be here,
    anyway
    the imf are in and chippys are looking foe two and a half grand a week, hmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭ronaldo84

i'am still working every day i am not self employed i am employed by a builder for a lot less than i was 2-3 years ago. i just gave a rough estimate thats all and am about right. i take it u are not a experienced at 2nd fix carpentry?? and self employed?? if u expect to get a job done properly and neatly you will have to pay. u could give some one a grand to do this job and there going to run trough it and **** it up. i know i couldnt pay someone like this. imagine having to look at poor work every day of your life?? i wouldnt for a bit extra

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46,127 ✭✭✭✭muffler

SARAH ANNE wrote: »
    All very interesting,
    That work will not take a week,
    why
    because the carpenter will have a heap of fas young lads at it and if u findfault ul be asked wat do u know because like myself u are not an expert if we were we wouldnt be here,
    anyway
    the imf are in and chippys are looking foe two and a half grand a week, hmmm
    Please keep the thread rant free

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Elbow

Have you already got all the materials OP?

If not pre hung doors are the quickest option and you'd get a better deal if you get the one company to supply and fit.

From my experience your looking at anywhere between 250 and 350 for a red deal door kit depending on style, This should include door, frame, locks, architrave and fitting.

How quick you'll get them swinging really depends on the condition of the walls, i was doing a bit of a foxer a few years back replacing 1 door in an old building and fitting a new door (frame and all) in an extension. Guess which took longer?

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭rok

Thanks for all the replies and info. We've got all the timber and hardware already, looked into the door kits option too they didn't have the door style we wanted, had a bit of a job getting the style we wanted.

I suppose it is hard to price the job without seeing it, variables like with skirting how many corners for mitering, lever on rose handles versus standard door handles etc.
    Gonna go with a fella I used before as I know his work is good, his price is quite close to ronaldo84's estimated price.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭SC024

Gurgle wrote: »

2 hours?

Can I have his number

Best of luck.

ah be jasus lads, i think i could get christmas out of this one....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

Care to explain your comment martin46585.?
    ah be jasus lads, i think i could get christmas out of this one....:rolleyes:

Care to explain your comment martin46585.?

do the maths......
    2400 euro /110 day = 21+days, takes you past christmas,

do the maths......
    2400 euro /110 day = 21+days, takes you past christmas,
    Try not to twist things around here please. Its a 5 day working week which equates to 10 days.

Can we all stay on topic now please.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭SC024

muffler wrote: »
    Try not to twist things around here please. Its a 5 day working week which equates to 10 days.

Can we all stay on topic now please.

Im confused, how does 2400.00, paying a man at 110.00 per day equate to ten days?

2400 divided by 110 = 21.81 days = 4.1 weeks @ 5 day week, 3 weeks @ 7 days week no?

• Advertisement

SC024 wrote: »
    Im confused, how does 2400.00, paying a man at 110.00 per day equate to ten days?

2400 divided by 110 = 21.81 days = 4.1 weeks @ 5 day week, 3 weeks @ 7 days week no?
    You quoted this post
    Best of luck.
    It clearly says "if its 2 weeks" then that is 10 working days @ €110/day = €1100

Now if you are going to quote people then dont change what was said please.

Advertisement