Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Java and C++

Options
  • 25-11-2010 6:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 40

I'm doing a CS course in first year and we are currently using java for all of our coding. I was thinking of branching into C++ in my own time, but am not sure if I should go ahead as it might distract me, and was wondering if I should perhaps learn Java first before moving onto C++.

Do you think it would be better to study a second programming language as soon as possible, or is it better to get used to one language first?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23 hzhang

I'd suggest you to stick with Java first. Compared to C++, Java is much easier to learn for beginners.

You can wait till you get into 3rd year to start to learn C++.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

C++ can be quite a tougher to learn than Java. But Java will set you up well from a design / OOP point of view. No harm doing C++ in your spare time though but it may frustrate you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Might be an idea to try something a little different?

Obviously java and C++ are different languages, but a lot of java syntax is derived from C/C++.

So maybe try something syntactically different? Python? Perl?

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭seithon

I'm in the same situation as you, I'm now in 3rd year and branching out into C# and thinking about C++, I've also developed a hatred of Java :P

I find the head first series is handy for learning from scratch other then that just have at it more languages you have at least a familiarity with the better

Well going from Java to C# should be quite quick and easy going. However there are a lot to learn on other side of things like WPF/WCF/Delegates/LINQ etc but that comes in time too.

C++ developers are probably in short supply to so not bad idea get into that if you want. But they are in short supply for a reason.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40 ITguy2

Webmonkey wrote: »
    Well going from Java to C# should be quite quick and easy going. However there are a lot to learn on other side of things like WPF/WCF/Delegates/LINQ etc but that comes in time too.

C++ developers are probably in short supply to so not bad idea get into that if you want. But they are in short supply for a reason.

The reason been?

ITguy2 wrote: »
    The reason been?
    Because
    1: Colleges don't teach is in detail compared to Java.
    2: It's probably one of the more difficult languages.

But lets not get into this Java vs C++ etc.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Learning to program correctly, and getting a good understanding of the basic and advanced concept is far more important than the language you use to it. I'd suggest you stick with just Java, and put any extra work into learning more advanced concepts. Then when you go to change language at some point in the future it'll be a piece of cake.

stevenmu wrote: »
    Learning to program correctly, and getting a good understanding of the basic and advanced concept is far more important than the language you use to it. I'd suggest you stick with just Java, and put any extra work into learning more advanced concepts. Then when you go to change language at some point in the future it'll be a piece of cake.
    Very true, but OP, to begin with you probably better off sticking with Java as start as suggested.

Advertisement