Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

New regulations for MotorCaravan Testing announced

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 MOBILVETTA

Advisory note was basically to get new tires fitted asap. The tires had plenty of grip left on them but it was the age and possibility of perishing. The car passed the test wit the tires 6 yrs old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

MOBILVETTA wrote: »
    Advisory note was basically to get new tires fitted asap. The tires had plenty of grip left on them but it was the age and possibility of perishing. The car passed the test wit the tires 6 yrs old.

Thanks very much.

I will be ringing the guy at the RSA that I've been talking with and get this clarified with him. If this applies to cars, it will also apply to us with our 'vans.
    I'll be back with an update A.S.A.P.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Thanks very much.

I will be ringing the guy at the RSA that I've been talking with and get this clarified with him. If this applies to cars, it will also apply to us with our 'vans.
    I'll be back with an update A.S.A.P.

Keep us posted IG

Keep us posted IG

O.K. folks, let's see if can cover what the RSA have told me just this morning.

The Advisory Note basically is telling you that, because of the age of the tyres, they will be looked at more carefully during the next test. If the tyres show no obvious sign of side wall damage or wear then another advisory note could be given. It does not mean that the tyres will automatically fail the next test. This will apply in the same way to campervans.
    There are, at the moment, no plans to make tyres over a certain age illegal although some, didn't go into detail, E.U. countries do have such regulations.

The guy at the RSA emailed me a rather long, and complex, pdf document issued by the U.K. tyre industry regarding tyres for Campervans and Motorhomes.

This document states that we should be using commercial grade tyres relating to the weight of the vehicle, and I imagine that we are (I'm going to get mine checked on this point). They also recommend that 7 years is the maximum life of a tyre but less if the vehicle is stored/standing unused for a long time frequently as in the winter months.

I think that just about covers it.

If anyone wants the pdf document let me know and I'll attach it on another posting. It is 2.75mb but I'll see how much I can resize it by.

Phew!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Macspower

I really dont mind the tyre bit.. but thats probably down to experience. When I bought my motorhome it had 4 perfect looking tyres on it with plenty of grip left on them..

the first week out I got a blowout on the motorway on the back left and a week later I got a blow out on the motorway again on the opposite side..

I just replaced all 4 tyres and never had a problem since.. Both tyres blew out on the sidewalls and on closer examination they had signs of perishing..

• Advertisement

Macspower wrote: »
    I really dont mind the tyre bit.. but thats probably down to experience. When I bought my motorhome it had 4 perfect looking tyres on it with plenty of grip left on them..

the first week out I got a blowout on the motorway on the back left and a week later I got a blow out on the motorway again on the opposite side..

I just replaced all 4 tyres and never had a problem since.. Both tyres blew out on the sidewalls and on closer examination they had signs of perishing..

As you said "Down to experience".
    As the the new regulations for us will not cover tyres in any way different to that of the NCT on cars it's down to the individual to keep an eye on his tyres.

Advertisement