Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harddrive for Dm800

• 25-11-2010 6:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,865 ✭✭✭

I'm planning on getting a hard drive for my Dm800 so as I can record stuff.
    I was wondering if I can use a portable USB Hard Drive (USB powered) as I'm a bit wary of putting a sata drive inside the receiver as its a very tight fit and the 800 is notorious for overheating issues and I dont want to take the risk.
    Will the 800 be able to power a portable hard drive via usb or do I need a seperately powered hard drive ,does anybody have any experience ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 100 ✭✭ubuntulinux

If your DM800HD has a fan inside I would go for an internal hard drive.Something along the lines of this should be fine. http://www.memoryc.com/products/description/500GB_Samsung_Spinpoint_M7_2_5-Internal_Hard_Drive-5400rpm-8MB_cache_/index.html:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 246 ✭✭pelisor2000

Zardoz wrote: »
    I'm planning on getting a hard drive for my Dm800 so as I can record stuff.
    I was wondering if I can use a portable USB Hard Drive (USB powered) as I'm a bit wary of putting a sata drive inside the receiver as its a very tight fit and the 800 is notorious for overheating issues and I dont want to take the risk.
    Will the 800 be able to power a portable hard drive via usb or do I need a seperately powered hard drive ,does anybody have any experience ?
    my DM800:)

picture.php?albumid=992&pictureid=4852

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,865 ✭✭✭Zardoz

If your DM800HD has a fan inside I would go for an internal hard drive.Something along the lines of this should be fine. http://www.memoryc.com/products/description/500GB_Samsung_Spinpoint_M7_2_5-Internal_Hard_Drive-5400rpm-8MB_cache_/index.html:)
    Yes my 800Hd has a small fan on the motherboard near the tuner.
    I will probably get an internal sata drive I'd say.
    I connected up an external portable usb drive and it seems to be working ok off the Dm800,its spinning ok and I can see the drive in the hard drive setup menu so it seems like it supports it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

How did you get on with the hard drive. This is my next project. Ive a few External powered HD's spare, i was going to try one of those in my Dm800. Also ive an old IDE 2.5 drive (From a old Dell laptop), will that fit inside the DM800 or does it have to be esata?

snaps wrote: »
    How did you get on with the hard drive. This is my next project. Ive a few External powered HD's spare, i was going to try one of those in my Dm800. Also ive an old IDE 2.5 drive (From a old Dell laptop), will that fit inside the DM800 or does it have to be esata?
    I ended up putting in an internal 320Gb Sata Western Digital drive.
    It was some bitch of a job getting the hard drive in,almost as difficult as getting the figs into the fig rolls.
    Ridiculously tight fit due to the positioning on the onboard fan and the supplied cable is far too long.
    Once I got it in,after alot of sweat and foul language ,it worked well .:)
    Its working well for me now,very stable recording,better than my Dm600.
    IDE is no good I'm afraid Snaps,will have to be sata.

• Advertisement

Cheers, how about an external usb drive, possibly a powered one? is it as simple as formatting it to fat32 and plugging it in, or is it more complicated than that?

Cheers, how about an external usb drive, possibly a powered one? is it as simple as formatting it to fat32 and plugging it in, or is it more complicated than that?
    Should be no bother.
    I got a portable usb hard drive working easily enough ,the Dreambox was able to power it .Powered drives should be fine.
    Its pretty much plug and play to be honest.

Should be no bother.
    I got a portable usb hard drive working easily enough ,the Dreambox was able to power it .Powered drives should be fine.
    Its pretty much plug and play to be honest.

Ok, ill have a play tommorow, whats all the mounting business?

Had problems when re starting the DM800 that the USB drive had to be intalized again, thus formatted and loosing all the recordings.

I came over this problem by entering the following line, using DCC FTP (Editing and re uploading)

Goto:

/etc/init.d/rcS file.

Then open to edit and add this line at the bottom of the page:

mount /dev/sda1 /media/hdd

Save and reup.

Had problems when re starting the DM800 that the USB drive had to be intalized again, thus formatted and loosing all the recordings.
    Interesting Snaps,I had similar issues ,I was going to give you a heads up .:)
    Anytime I tried to initialise my internal HDD,it kept wiping the drive and unmounting it ,using Dream Elite Phoenix.
    I didnt initialise it in the end,I dont believe its necessary.
    I just mounted it via the device manager and it worked .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 tarakino

Interesting Snaps,I had similar issues ,I was going to give you a heads up .:)
    Anytime I tried to initialise my internal HDD,it kept wiping the drive and unmounting it ,using Dream Elite Phoenix.
    I didnt initialise it in the end,I dont believe its necessary.
    I just mounted it via the device manager and it worked .

Hi

I am struggling to get my external HDD working on DM800 using USB.
    Can you please give me instructions on how to mount HDD via the device manager?

Thanks

Blue button, the green button (settings), Scroll down to device manager. Select, then select the USB drive in the manager. Red button to mount it.

Advertisement