Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Moped??? Worth it or not

• 25-11-2010 7:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 970 ✭✭✭

Hi

Im new to bikes. Am doing my theory test next week to avoid having to do the 16hrs lessons being introduced on 6th december. Ill probably get more into bikes in future but for now if anyone has any experience they would like to share, please do.

I have a car but am fed up of spending €50 a week on petrol, plus worrying about parking costs and fines the whole time. Im thinking of getting a cheap moped. I did a little research. I like the look of the keeway matrix50.
    can be on the fully for about €1100.

What id like to know is are 50cc mopeds any good? are they realible? what does tax cost? Are they easy and safe to use?

Im only looking to use it for short commutes in and around cork city. Would never be going on a trip of more than 20miles. They seem a great deal to me, Why is not everyone them then???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

eurokev wrote: »
    What id like to know is are 50cc mopeds any good? are they realible? what does tax cost? Are they easy and safe to use?
    For nipping around town they're great, usually have space under the seat to store a helmet which is very handy.
    Never had a problem with mine (peugeot speedfight) and I had it for over a year. Not sure of the exact figure but I'd say around 50 quid tax.

Couldn't be easier to use really. As for safety, any bike is as safe as the rider makes it ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭stephendevlin

Hi

Im new to bikes. Am doing my theory test next week to avoid having to do the 16hrs lessons being introduced on 6th december. Ill probably get more into bikes in future but for now if anyone has any experience they would like to share, please do.

I have a car but am fed up of spending €50 a week on petrol, plus worrying about parking costs and fines the whole time. Im thinking of getting a cheap moped. I did a little research. I like the look of the keeway matrix50.

Im only looking to use it for short commutes in and around cork city. Would never be going on a trip of more than 20miles. They seem a great deal to me, Why is not everyone them then???

Im thinking along the same lines tax for the year is about 50/60 quid i think. Apparantly you will get about 60/80 mpg also. I would say going out in the pissing rain with no heat and drivers acting like you dont even exist on the roads might put some people off alright.

Seen a yoke with 2 wheels on the front and one on the back looked a bit safer too:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Alkers

I wouldn't go for the Keeway anyway. Stick with something with a reputation. I had a Gilera Runner for a year and had no bother with it. Don't buy new, get something second hand as you're more than likely going to be bored with a 50cc after a year anyway. You can put the money you save into buying good all weather protective gear and a good helmet. Which license are you going for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Hi

Make sure and do the Theory test for A, not A1 or M if there's any difference, then apply for an A learners permit. At least the you can ride proper bikes not mopeds, which are restricted to 45km/h, if you ever want to.

You can do all the basics on a 50cc scooter but should still get some lessons on a proper bike if you've never ridden a bike/scooter before, which you can hire from most schools, and then pass the test on a school bike.

From a quick google the Keeway looks OK, but you'd want to be doing a hell lot of distance on it to make a decent saving after spending €1100 on it, which will pay for 20 weeks fuel in your car. As the others have said buy a decent brand 2nd hand scooter as you may get sick of a scooter fairly soon.

Advertisement