Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do?

• 25-11-2010 7:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭

I will be sitting the Leaving Cert in 2011 and I just wanted to know what you guys would do if you were in this situation:
    See the thing is that I'm only going to be 16 sitting the LC and barely 17 starting college. I really want to study Medicine aswell so here's my situation:
    -Should I repeat the Leaving Cert in a grinds school and hopefully give my points a good boost and then apply to Medicine. I could also do some volunteering and work so I can apply on UCAS. I will be 18 going to college so that would be a bonus. Bad thing is I miten't get the points for medicne even if I repeat.
    OR
    -Do a science degree taking advantage of the year I would have spent repeating and then go on to try get into post gradaute medicine. The plus side of this is that I get to stay with many friends and can finally leave the small town I live in.

What would you guys do?

PS. I find Chemistry and French a bit challenging so that extra year of exposure to the subjects would be really good

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

What is the problem with doing it this year?

You do the science degree you lose your free fees. 10 grand a year for medicine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Solus01

What is the problem with doing it this year?

You do the science degree you lose your free fees. 10 grand a year for medicine.

I only do five honours and LCVP, so that's 570 max I can get and I'm not feeling optimistic with my chances of getting around 540-550. If I repeat can I drop Maths and Irish (My two OL) subjects and continue on with my five HL subjects and take up another honours subject to make six...would that be possible?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Solus01 wrote: »
    I only do five honours and LCVP, so that's 570 max I can get and I'm not feeling optimistic with my chances of getting around 540-550. If I repeat can I drop Maths and Irish (My two OL) subjects and continue on with my five HL subjects and take up another honours subject to make six...would that be possible?

Definitely possible, but if you work really hard (as anyone aiming for medicine will have to) you might make it on the 540.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Bbbbolger

I dont think that would be possible for medicine. For medicine you have to achieve all your points and complete all your matriculation subjects in one sitting of the leaving cert. You can't combine subjects from two years to matriculate That means you'll have to do Maths and Irish in each sitting of the L.C you do as they're both required for Medicine.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭happyfish

Do the leaving and if you don't get medecine repeat.You won't be able to give up Irish and maths and I know its not guaranteed but at least you'll have tried and just gone 17 is really young to be in college anyway(I was 17 starting college and I found it really hard!).
    Basically what I'm trying to say is that theres no rush on you:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Solus01 wrote: »

I don't mean to be a pr*ck but there's very little chance of you getting into Medicine with OL maths and LCVP. For someone going for Med LCVP is practically 30 points down the sh*tter, and unless you're absolutely incredible at your other 5 subjects I'd do the Science course and hope for the best.

Also, 2 sections in the HPAT are very logic orientated, meaning pass maths would put you at a big disadvantage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Theres nothing you can do right now (apart from taking up another subject, limiting yourself to 570 for medicine isn't the best, but unlikely with the length of time left) so go ahead with the leaving and hpat, apply for medicine and see where you stand in August. If you get offered medicine, you can just defer it for the year if you feel you're too young for college, try get a job or brush up on your chemistry for the year.

If you don't get the points for it, you could go ahead with the science course (bearing in mind that postgrad medicine is very competitive, very expensive, longer route overall and requires you to do the GAMSAT to get in), or repeat either the LC or HPAT (whichever let you down). You still have to get eng/irish/maths/language/science and points all in the one year though, you can't drop Irish and Maths.

Advertisement