Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

deferring for a semester?

Options
  • 25-11-2010 7:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭

Heya does anyone know if you can do this??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭leddpipe

contact the head of your particular department!
    in the off chance your studying social science, that would be Martina Reidy.
    other than that ya may go look!
    are you definately coming back?
    you could always consider "leave of absence" etc!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭xxzaraxx

no Im doing the arts omnibus... what does leave of absence mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Bryan4president

A leave of absence is when you take a period of time off from college, like a semester. I did this last year, took 2nd Semester off, just had to write a letter to the head of my course, they were ok with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Your programme office should be contacted and they can sort it out from there. Call into the programme office in the Arts Block ASAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

Try talking to one of the student advisers too. Aisling O'Grady is lovely.

• Advertisement

OK I really do not want to do the degree anymore..Any idea of how much it would cost if I was to drop out now?? I only had to pay the student centre levy as my local county council paid for my fees..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

xxzaraxx wrote: »
    OK I really do not want to do the degree anymore..Any idea of how much it would cost if I was to drop out now?? I only had to pay the student centre levy as my local county council paid for my fees..

You will only pay for the first semester since that is all you have completed. Since you got a grant, that means you should only pay half the levy.

http://www.ucd.ie/registry/adminservices/fees/withdrawing_from_a_course.htm
    'Free' fee students who register and officially withdraw (by returning student card) from Friday 1 October 2010 to Friday 31 January 2011 inclusive are liable for payment of the Student Services fee and the Student Centre levy i.e. €1654.00*. FURTHER, half of the tuition fee will be claimed on the student’s behalf from the HEA. A student will then be liable to pay half the tuition fee for the equivalent duration of attendance if s/he registers within the next 5 years in any Irish third level institution.

You should also read this as it tells you of the longer-term financial implications. If you do another course the HEA will not pay for any free fees up until the current point you are in of your degree. So if you are currently in 1st semester of 1st year, you would have to pay half the fees for your next semester 1. It also gives some other useful information.

http://www.ucd.ie/registry/adminservices/fees/faq.html
    I am leaving my Programme at UCD. What should I do?
    You must inform your Programme Office and sign a Withdrawal Form. You should also check to see how a withdrawal might affect you financially if you choose to return to University at a later date. See relevant section of our Website: http://www.ucd.ie/registry/adminservices/fees/withdrawing_from_a_course.htm
    You may also wish to speak to a Student Adviser if you are having difficulties: http://www.ucd.ie/advisers/

In summary what is the withdrawal process?
    Speak to your programme office to decide if withdrawing is really the best option for you.
    If you are sure that you want to withdraw, you need to Fill out a Withdrawal form at your programme office (you can fill it out then and there)and give back your student card.
    The date that you complete and submit the withdrawal form to the programme office, is the date that will be put up as your official withdrawal date on your University record. This is used for fee purposes.
    If you stop attending classes and DO NOT submit a withdrawal form you will be liable for fees until the date that you fill out the withdrawal form

Ok thanks for that! I had a look at the page and was wondering why I have to pay 1654 when I have only completed one semester.. I have already paid the student centre levy but why do I need to pay the full amount (1500) for the two semesters instead of 750? I understand that there will be implications in the future if I do return to a third level institution

Advertisement