Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

About to Buy - Getting Cold Feet!

Options
  • 25-11-2010 7:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Put a booking deposit on house about 2 months ago, just at the stage now where Engineer report is in everything is in order, next move is contracts to be signed however with all that has gone on especially in the last couple of weeks we feel uncertain whether buying now is the right move:

House €240k
    House mortgage will be €200k
    Putting down €40k
    Both earn €60k combined annually

Taking into consideration income tax cuts, new property taxes etc should we hold off for another year or two... Anyone in the same boat...

We are entitled to our booking deposit back I'm sure, we'll just have the cost of our Solicitor up to now... We really do not know what to do.. have to decide in the next week..

Any advice/professional expertise greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,191 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

How much is it to rent for the next few years on a similar house? House prices could get a hammering over the next 4 years, you need to work out what the rent will cost compared to the drop in house prices.
    It's not costing you 200,000, it's costing 200,000 + interest. Huge difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

personally speaking Id take the hit on the solicitors fee and pulll out.

With all the changes due property prices are likely to continue falling for the forseeable future, and thats without even considering ECB rate rises that are no projected mid next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭3DataModem

If you love the house and see yourself living there for 7-10 years or more AND your jobs are relatively secure than go for it, you can afford it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

keep the 40k in the bank, keep saving away and let the prices fall at least for the next year two and see how the land lays then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

Apart from all the usual arguments about house prices dropping - which I agree with - there's another reason that has become my main one for not buying.

My family and I can easily emigrate if we need to, or choose to, as we're renting. Both our jobs seem secure, but the value of being able to leave if things get ludicrously bad here has grown for me over the last year.

We're either going to be one of the most indebted nations in europe (combining public and private debt), or we're going to be part of a failed bailout and default. Now, or in 3 years time when the deal being hammered out ends.

Mobility is priceless imo, and renting with a family has been absolutely fine so far. I'm renting a perfectly nice house that we still couldn't afford to buy even if we wanted to.

• Advertisement

Apart from all the usual arguments about house prices dropping - which I agree with - there's another reason that has become my main one for not buying.

My family and I can easily emigrate if we need to, or choose to, as we're renting. Both my wife and my jobs seem secure, but the value of being able to leave if things get ludicrously bad here has grown for me over the last year.

We're either going to be one of the most indebted nations in europe (combining public and private debt), or we're going to be part of a failed bailout and default. Now, or in 3 years time when the deal being hammered out ends.

Mobility is priceless imo, and renting with a family has been absolutely fine so far. I'm renting a perfectly nice house that we still couldn't afford to buy even if we wanted to.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

quozl wrote: »
    My family and I can easily emigrate if we need to, or choose to, as we're renting. Both my wife and my jobs seem secure, but the value of being able to leave if things get ludicrously bad here has grown for me over the last year.

My sentiments exactly.
    For right or wrong, your life is only as good as your ability to earn money.
    Mobility is a massively underrated part of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

I wouldn't buy. It's a bad market and the future is unknowable but not good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Treehouse72

OP, don't buy now. I cannot think of a single advantage to buying now rather than delaying. On a €240,000 property I think you can save €30,000+ over the next 2 years (20% price drop less rent paid in the meantime). By the bottom of the housing crash, it could be €50,000.

If you work out how long it takes to pay that amount from a mortgage (several years) and how nice it would be to have it sitting in your bank account, I think it's a no-brainer to wait. I very much doubt you won't be able to find an equivalent property in 2 years.

Ed: IMO. Just an amateur on t'internet.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

OP- I'd echo the above sentiments- the country is going to feel a lot of pain for the next 4 years- aside from the ominous comments from the ECB about interest rates increasing sooner rather than later. There really isn't any particular upside to buying property at the moment- the potential falls could be significantly higher than than any rent you might pay- and you are certainly going to be a hell of a lot less mobile if you buy.......

Congrats on saving 40k- my personal advice would be to continue renting, to continue saving- and in possibly 4-5 years time- after the elapse of the current 4 year plan and after the effects of ECB rate increases has levelled out- to re-acces the situation at that stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

OP completely leaving aside the dropping prices argument. What value can you place on complete flexibility and freedom if you rent? I really think its madness for people to be tying themselves to huge amounts of debt, with a mortgage slip, which at the end of every month will say last payment - 2035 or 2040! Some people on this forum will say, but if you can afford it and have a secure job go for it. How secure is ANYTHING anymore? Given all we have been through and are about to enter into, nothing could shock anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,988 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Interesting reading and there certainly seems to be only one judgement that the OP could make from reading the replies. I don't mean to hi-jack your thread OP but I'm in a similar situation to yourself and it wouldn't make sense to start a new thread.

Myself and my good lady are in the process of buying a house. We put down a booking deposit but haven't signed anything yet so have the option of pulling out and getting the deposit back. The house we're after is fairly modest at just €135,000 which would mean a mortgage repayment each month of about €600 which is perfectly manageable.

I know prices will drop and it would make sense to hold off but we've been renting apartments for the last six years and it would be nice to have a house that we can call our own. I feel time is against me too as at 33 the number of years I can take a mortgage for is getting less each year (not a bad thing some would say!). I'm prepared to lose some value in the house but I don't mind this to some degree as it'd be nice to finally have the ability to decorate it the way we want, to have a garden to grow things, to keep a pet and of course to start thinking about a child.

Taking into account that last paragraph in particular what would your advice be? Keep renting or buy.

and of course to start thinking about a child.
    Just on this point. I rent, and managed to successfully have twins a few months back ;)

You can even find rentals that will accept pets!

My family is, I believe, gaining much greater financial security (from renting) for a loss of security in where exactly I will be living in a year or two. However, if I have to move from this house, I can get another one in the area. For me, that's a very good trade.

Lots of people seem to think that you can't have children if you rent. Why on earth is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

I can completely understand people's desire to have somewhere nice to live and a nice quality of place to live in.

However, I think anyone without a mortgage at the moment is incredibly lucky. I would not advise getting one for at least the next six years.

In general (this isn't pointed at any poster in particular), I think that people's wish for somewhere nice is sometimes a driving force in a mortgage. However, pause for thought -
    even if the people moved into a house and decided to get a new couch, get new plates/delph, new bed (these are the main things that I know are very important to me in house) and yes, spent their own money in say Ikea, (and yes, I know that it's the landlords responsibility to provide these but frankly most rental house furniture is very ugly) this is a fraction of the cost of a house you've just bought dropping in value by 30 or 40 or 50 thousand euro.

I hope I'm explaining this properly. But what I'm trying to say is that even if you went to Ikea and blew 5,000 euro on "nice house things" to live with for the next few years - yes, you are furnishing a house you've already paid for - it's far, far cheaper than taking out a mortgage on a house that is sliding in value.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭KindOfIrish

Save another 40k and you will buy a house mortgage free in 4 years time :D

quozl wrote: »
    Lots of people seem to think that you can't have children if you rent. Why on earth is that?

Hmnn I started off and now I don't know how to answer that. I guess for me I just want to feel like a place is home. Our current apartment while lovely just doesn't feel homely, I don't feel settled. I want to try and be sensible and sort out a home before I start a family. I don't know if that's old fashioned but that's how I feel. I guess I fear if we start a family buying a home won't happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

The higher the asking price, the more you gain by waiting. Kintarō Hattori - where are you looking at buying and what type of property?

Fair enough Kintarō Hattori, but it's worth thinking about imo. You might decide it's not a rational worry after a while.

My house feels like a home - I have my wife, babies, my own super-kingsize bed and it's the kind of house I'd buy if I was buying.

As for
    I want to try and be sensible and sort out a home before I start a family
    are you sure that is being sensible?

You haven't given any reason for why it's sensible? It seems the opposite to me currently - I'm not trying to be argumentative, I'm just trying to help.

I'm going to have more money to spend on my kids because I've rented the last two years instead of buying again. My house is a home. Even if I have to move house, I'll create another home in the same area. And crucially, if my wife or I lose our jobs, or decide that Ireland is in too big of a mess, my family will have the option to move elsewhere if it's in our best interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

I understand where you're coming from Kintarō Hattori - I think your idea of not wanting to have a kid when you don't own your own house is common of our age group (late 20s, early 30's I'm guessing). i would imagine this is because of all the 'truths' we got rammed down our throats over the years - that you're not settled until you own your own house.

I have now realised that that is bullcrap. Your home is where you make it. I had similar ideas to you - I wouldn't decorate a rented apartment for example, but about 2 years ago I started furnishing our current (rental) apartment with our own stuff. Slowly but surely it nows feels really homey, because we put effort into it, and stopped thinking about it being 'someone elses home'. If you're paying rent every month it is your home, simple as that. You can't be turfed out and you do have security if the landlord acts up - I think people underestimate this.

And imagine all the things you're avoiding - worries about interset rates, repairs, upkeep on things (we don't even need to worry about buying a new hoover!) - you can really see the benefits of living like this instead. Best of luck.

Idbatterim wrote: »
    The higher the asking price, the more you gain by waiting. Kintarō Hattori - where are you looking at buying and what type of property?

It's a two bed end of terrace in Balbriggan.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

It's a two bed end of terrace in Balbriggan.

Very much imo and I'm not an expert, but unless you are planning on living there for 10+ years and/or have the opportunity to extend, given that you are planning a child, I'd consider that a fairly poor investment/buying choice in the current market.

It's just a two bed, and imo it's essentially an apartment with a garden.

If you were to wait could you potentially afford to buy a better house in a year or two? I'd imagine so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

Hattori, if that's what you're considering buying, hold off.
    What happens when you want another child?
    Either that or start looking further out at 3/4 bed homes (if that's possible for you).The biggest question, after money, when you buy a home, is can you live in it for the rest of your life.Don't think in terms of starter homes or property ladders - that no longer exists.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

Kimia wrote: »
    I understand where you're coming from Kintarō Hattori - I think your idea of not wanting to have a kid when you don't own your own house is common of our age group (late 20s, early 30's I'm guessing). i would imagine this is because of all the 'truths' we got rammed down our throats over the years - that you're not settled until you own your own house.

I have now realised that that is bullcrap. Your home is where you make it. I had similar ideas to you - I wouldn't decorate a rented apartment for example, but about 2 years ago I started furnishing our current (rental) apartment with our own stuff. Slowly but surely it nows feels really homey, because we put effort into it, and stopped thinking about it being 'someone elses home'. If you're paying rent every month it is your home, simple as that. You can't be turfed out and you do have security if the landlord acts up - I think people underestimate this.

And imagine all the things you're avoiding - worries about interset rates, repairs, upkeep on things (we don't even need to worry about buying a new hoover!) - you can really see the benefits of living like this instead. Best of luck.

That's factually incorrect.
    You can be "turfed out"

There are many advantages and disadvantages to renting vs buying.
    The reason people with families would buy over renting would be security amongst other reasons.
    A friend of mine with a family didn't get an extension on a rental lease on two different occasions. That pushed him to buy.
    Moving with a family can be quite an upheaval. Maybe not as bad if you're single or a couple.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

mathie wrote: »
    That's factually incorrect.
    You can be "turfed out"

There are many advantages and disadvantages to renting vs buying.
    The reason people with families would buy over renting would be security amongst other reasons.
    A friend of mine with a family didn't get an extension on a rental lease on two different occasions. That pushed him to buy.
    Moving with a family can be quite an upheaval. Maybe not as bad if you're single or a couple.

When can you be turfed out? I'm not talking about the natural ending of a tenancy for which you can be prepared, I'm talking about being thrown out at a moments notice and as far as I know there are laws against illegal evictions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

When can you be turfed out? I'm not talking about the natural ending of a tenancy for which you can be prepared, I'm talking about being thrown out at a moments notice and as far as I know there are laws against illegal evictions.

The social welfare supports are better for when owning rather than renting. You're not entitled to rent allowance if working when you fall behind in rent. As an owner you are entitled to negotiation of repayments with the bank and along with the 1yr moratorium on repossessions, there is far more support for owning than buying.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

There are laws governing the manner in which evictions can occur, and you are quite correct, it is illegal to evict someone from a rented accommodation unless set rules are followed.

There are however several reasons a person can be evicted from rented accommodation (if you check out the 2004 act, it details them). The natural elapse of a lease of is not just cause for an eviction- however providing a lease is not in effect- a tenancy could be terminated by either party by serving requisite notice on the other party.

Outside of normal reasons- notice could be served for-

1. Non payment of rent
    2. Modification of the accommodation or service providors without the landlords assent
    3. If the landlord needed the accommodation for his/her or a member of their immediate family's accommodation needs
    4. Antisocial behaviour on the part of the tenant
    5. A declaration by an environmental health officer
    6. Force majeure

Etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Mr Cawley

You'll be throwing money away buying now(unless this property is in hot demand).

If you want the house so badly that you'd be prepared to lose value on it for the next few years(again presuming the house isn't in hot demand) then buy now.

The market is not at bottom yet.

You've cold feet, you know that you're buying on a downward slope.

Overpaying for property helped this country go bust, don't compound the problem or do it to yourself.

There's a relevant phrase in stock trading, 'don't try to catch a falling knife'

Mr K
    (investments and markets forum)

ask over there to the respected posters

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭ricman

Say you buy a house now ,200k, in a years time the same home will be for sale for 150 k,or less PROBABLY.You borrow 200k, it costs 400k plus to pay that back at 4 per cent interest rate.For most people ,a couple its cheaper to rent an apartment now.and you could be in negative equity ,ie home value 150k, mortgage 200k.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭X files

My uncle has been an agent for more years than he will admit and says maybe another 20 % to come of current prices. Be carefull we are obessed with ownership and the lassies love the nest.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭ricman

IN a years time, we,ll know can spain ,portugal can be rescued ,is the euro stable.I EXPECT 20-30 PER CENT DROP in prices in the next year , those countrys have a banking crisis like ireland,banks lent too much to many people,and house prices have declined.They are in a similar situation to ireland.

Advertisement