Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

December 2010 forecast contest

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,514 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

After seven days:

IMT -2.6 C

precip at 63% as eastern stations above normal, west mainly dry.

sunshine at 199% despite Casement and Dublin being below normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,679 ✭✭✭Speak Now

We should have another bonus question....:P

When will IMT rise above zero (If at all :eek:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Possibility of the min being broken again tonight maybe? A slight possibility anyway, oak park at -9 at 7pm.

Ooh aah, I saw a 9.2 at Malin Head in the Friday reports ... will that stand up? I wasn't on line this afternoon your time, maybe it was eclipsed today.

The running precip is falling off to about 40% now but as we've seen in various other months, one big week near the end can wreck any low figure. The sunshine is drifting back towards 150% now, I would estimate.

The IMT will soon be positive at this rate (briefly). :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

Is it just me MT or does 2010 seem to have been very sunny?

None of my weather stations have sun measuring facility on them but every time I drive Im blinded and last year I wasnt.

Rainfall of 5mm(December 2010) is all I have for december in Sligo so far but that excludes snow coz me pesky rain gauge doesnt measure that. The same thing happened last year.

Hope that you can continue this monthly competition going in 2011. Its great crack. This and Fantasy Football are the two reasons I get up in the morning ... nearly:)

• Advertisement

Nearly the reasons you get up, or the reasons you nearly get up?! :P :P

It has indeed been a sunny year relative to average ... only July so far has failed to break average (at 73%) and September managed a modest 104%, otherwise every month has been in the range of 120-150 per cent. I would estimate the running surplus is about 25% of the annual total. :)

Nearly the reasons you get up, or the reasons you nearly get up?! :P :P

me secrets out. sh*t ! :)

It has indeed been a sunny year relative to average ... only July so far has failed to break average (at 73%) and September managed a modest 104%, otherwise every month has been in the range of 120-150 per cent. I would estimate the running surplus is about 25% of the annual total. :)

Cool so I wasnt just imagining it. I might nearly get up so.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Sorry for not updating in a while guys but for now current IMT on -1.5c.

Top 5 coldest days in the IMT zone in 2010:

1. January 9th: Daily IMT of -5.8c
    2. January 8th: Daily IMT of -5.6c
    3. Decmeber 2nd: Daily IMT of -4.5c.
    4. January 7th: Daily IMT of -4.4c
    5. December 8th: Daily IMT of -4.2c

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭Joe Public

Ooh aah, I saw a 9.2 at Malin Head in the Friday reports ... will that stand up? I wasn't on line this afternoon your time, maybe it was eclipsed today.

Valentia reached 10.2 yesterday.

boo-yah!!!

we broke 10 -- some of us may get some points now. :D

Weird month where it looks like the min will be further below 0 than the max is above 0. . :P

After fourteen days, the IMT still sits at -0.8 C and looks to take a bit of a tumble again soon. Remarkable anomaly in the making here, bring out the mercy rule yet again.

Rainfall (precip) this past seven days has been 4% of normal which drags down the old average to 32% at present. Boatloads of snow and rain will now be required to verify most of our guesses. That's not all bad, of course, because some forecast models show exactly that.

Sunshine continues to sprint ahead at 173% maintaining a good margin for the month now at 186% of normal -- a totally cloudy finish will therefore bring that home near normal. A cloudy second half like 50% would bring the month home near 120% so I feel that's the lowest figure likely to verify.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Welsh Wizard

Homolumo and myself went in yesterday for the colder than -6 option when it was priced 5/1, now it's 11/8. What does that tell you?

Anyone who buys the bets milder than zero is basically donating to charity on that table.

Would advise that hedged bets (bet something for the -4 to -6, and a second bet for the coldest) seem like easy money combined at this point, but like they say here, always wager within your comfort range, don't try to make rent on a bet.

The white Christmas bets from earlier may all pay off if the ECM is right, the only variable seeming uncertain is whether any precip would fall on the day, but if it does, some should be snow (Ireland/UK).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭homolumo

Homolumo and myself went in yesterday for the colder than -6 option when it was priced 5/1, now it's 11/8. What does that tell you?

Anyone who buys the bets milder than zero is basically donating to charity on that table.

Would advise that hedged bets (bet something for the -4 to -6, and a second bet for the coldest) seem like easy money combined at this point, but like they say here, always wager within your comfort range, don't try to make rent on a bet.

The white Christmas bets from earlier may all pay off if the ECM is right, the only variable seeming uncertain is whether any precip would fall on the day, but if it does, some should be snow (Ireland/UK).

A few others got on just in time too. This morning about 9 or so, it was 3/1 for lower than -6.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

I think this cold spell puts my chances of topping the year on ice, quite litterally... which brings me to the pain-pleasure balance... loose the year competition to get a huge dose of cold and snow! Hmmm... BRING ON DA SNOW!!! :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

boo-yah!!!

we broke 10 -- some of us may get some points now. :D

Did someone say 10.2c would be the montly high ???

You did ... might hold up at this rate. The IMT is a real trainwreck at this point. :eek:

• Advertisement

Annual IMT at 9.02 looks set to drop below 9 before the end of the year. Quite a cool year overall!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Chart graphing the Demember IMT up to midnight 17th:

139943.jpg

Has yet to reach into postive territory and remains even colder than at this stage last year. Current IMT value on -0.2c. At this stage last year, it was on +5.2c That is over a 5.0c difference!

Data source:
    Met Eireann

Ballyhaise showing -9c at 18:30 hours. I feel that the Mount Juliet/Thomastown 16c+ record may yet be bet...but in the North Midlands not the south midlands.

The 6 o c news predicted a low of -10c thereabouts for the state overnight.

I realize Castlederg is not in contest territory but they never got above -10 C today and the current reading there is about -15 C. This shows the potential for Ballyhaise to reach a very low figure tonight if it stays clear, as well as Mullingar and possibly even Finner Camp and Knock. We shall see.

Also there are three or four more nights of potentially very low readings somewhere in Ireland.

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Ballyhaise showing -9c at 18:30 hours. I feel that the Mount Juliet/Thomastown 16c+ record may yet be bet...but in the North Midlands not the south midlands.

Won't be beaten in Mt. Juliet anyway, only -4 here.

Edit: Ballyhaise is at -10 at 19.00

I feel that if you are going to set a record low temperature over the next while that the coldest place in Ireland, for the record, really should be that station called "Boyle" :cool: ( the actual unit must be out in Lough Key Forest Park)

WebClimMap1.gif

mullingar looks like the best chance now, -10 at 10 pm, ballyhaise up to -6.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭John mac

BALLYHAISE -13 @ 23:00

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭MadDogGreener

This bet should pay out now shouldnt it? Its disappeared from the paddy power website, but my betslip says "Lower than 6"/"Lowest temp in Dublin week ending 27th Dec". It was -9 at the airport this morning. And AFAIR, they are using wunderground as the metric.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 mountjuliet

Sponge Bob wrote: »

Apparently it was beat overnight, Castlederg in Co Tyrone recorded a temperature of -18C overnight and the temperature in Foxford, Co Mayo dropped to -17.2C. Mount Juliet's -16.8 is moved to 3rd place.

Wouldn't be surprised if we get some snow here in Mount Juliet in the next 48 hours.

Advertisement