Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changed processor in PC, now monitor not working - Help!

Options
  • 25-11-2010 8:34pm
    Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi!

Pretty much as the title suggests, we have a HP s3322uk slimline Pavillion PC. We changed the processor from 1.60ghz intel pentium processor to this but now when we turn on the PC the monitor isn't picking it up. We've checked all the cables etc, and also re-seated the processor to make sure it was in right, but it's still not working.

We plugged the monitor into the laptop and got a picture, so we know the monitor is working, and we tried to plug the PC to the TV but again it didn't pick up a signal.

Anyone have any idea what's wrong and what we do to fix it?

Thanks guys!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭digme

reset your bios and check is your ram seated correctly.
    More than likely ram

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

The 45nm C2Ds (E3*00/5*00/6300/6500/7*00/8*00) aren't compatible with the archaic 945 chipset in the Pavilion. You need an older 65nm C2D (E1**0/2**0/4**0/6**0) instead.

jesus lol

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Solitaire wrote: »
    The 45nm C2Ds (E3*00/5*00/6300/6500/7*00/8*00) aren't compatible with the archaic 945 chipset in the Pavilion. You need an older 65nm C2D (E1**0/2**0/4**0/6**0) instead.

Erm, could you dumb that down just a tad? :o I'm really not tech savvy at all (that's the bro in law, but he's away for the next few weeks :(). Do I need to buy something new?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Toots* wrote: »
    Erm, could you dumb that down just a tad? :o I'm really not tech savvy at all (that's the bro in law, but he's away for the next few weeks :(). Do I need to buy something new?

yes. :)

One of these.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_Core_2_microprocessors#.22Allendale.22.2C_.22Conroe.22_.2865_nm.29

• Advertisement

The new CPU you bought can't work inside that Pavilion, you need to put the old one back in and/or try to buy an older CPU, probably something like an E6700 or possibly an E4700.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Oh fudge! Thanks guys!! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

could

:confused:

Would this one work?

• Advertisement

WTF??!? :confused: They now sell a 45nm version??!? :eek: Are they trying to confuse people?! :mad:

Nope, that one won't. You need an old 65nm version and will probably be stuck looking for it second-hand as they're a good few years old now. Do not pick up the one you just linked by mistake! :o:eek: Its a much newer, incompatible CPU... with the exact same name as the one you're looking for :o Facepalm time Intel? :pac:

God this is complicated!! I think I might just buy a new computer tower instead! At least it'll come pre-assembled!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Or you could get people here to help you choose components if you want to go down the self-build route.

I'm all confused! All I wanted was to make my PC faster so I could play the sims 3 :o. It's looking like it's gonna be difficult to get the processor I need, so perhaps I'd be better off doing a self build. Granted I have no idea what I'm doing, but the husband and his brothers have done it before so I'd get them to put it together while I watch. I'd be interested to do it though!

What exactly would I need to get so that my PC would work? I'm assuming I could keep the case, and the CD/DVD drive, and the (new) processor and fan that I bought. Or would I be better off getting a new case, because the one I have is a slimline PC so it might be harder to get bits to fit in? :confused::confused:

Um... that computer should already have been able to play Sims 3 just fine, albeit at fairly low settings. And the way to improve performance would have been a graphics card upgrade rather than getting a faster CPU! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

I'm all confused! All I wanted was to make my PC faster so I could play the sims 3 :o. It's looking like it's gonna be difficult to get the processor I need, so perhaps I'd be better off doing a self build. Granted I have no idea what I'm doing, but the husband and his brothers have done it before so I'd get them to put it together while I watch. I'd be interested to do it though!

What exactly would I need to get so that my PC would work? I'm assuming I could keep the case, and the CD/DVD drive, and the (new) processor and fan that I bought. Or would I be better off getting a new case, because the one I have is a slimline PC so it might be harder to get bits to fit in? :confused::confused:

Your CD/DVD drive along with hard drives will be fine.

You will need to change motherboard to match the new CPU's socket but should be able to get a micro atx board to fit the slimline case. Without knowing the specs of your current PC tho you might need to replace ram, graphics card and PSU.

Venom wrote: »
    You will need to change motherboard to match the new CPU's socket but should be able to get a micro atx board to fit the slimline case.

No can do unless you want to go the mITX route, as the original factor is ITX/mDTX, which only has two expansion slots (mITX has one, mATX four) and is the same width as mITX. No mATX board is small enough to fit in there. Also, I can't remember what format PSU the slim Pavilions use either, I think its TFX so any system upgrade would have to come from HWVS where they actually stock upgrade TFX PSUs.
    Without knowing the specs of your current PC tho you might need to replace ram, graphics card and PSU.

Can't remember the link but I'm fairly sure the 3322 has a 1.6 or 1.8GHz C2D, (intentionally and vindictively!) ancient mobo based on the 945P chipset, 1 or 2GB DDR2 memory, a discrete HD2350 and a pathetic 180W PSU :o

If you have ever played with Lego then you are qualified to build a computer. The components will only fit in their corresponding slots. It's just a matter of getting your hands on the right pieces before putting them together.

Perhaps there comes a point where it makes more sense to start afresh.

If you have ever played with Lego then you are qualified to build a computer. The components will only fit in their corresponding slots. It's just a matter of getting your hands on the right pieces before putting them together.

+1
    Perhaps there comes a point where it makes more sense to start afresh.

Yup, but not just yet. We're talking Sims 3 here after all! :o:p The original CPU is adequate and upgrading the graphics card to a HD5570 would dramatically improve performace beyond what a modest CPU speed bump through swapping to a E6600 could achieve! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

umm, its easy enough to build a computer when you know how but remember, with lego you dont have to worry about bricking hundreds of euros worth of gear with esd, or eletrocuting yourself, or getting the correct drivers to make your system run properly. its not exactly the most complicated thing ever but unless you know the fundamentals it can go very wrong just as easily.

• Advertisement

indough wrote: »
    umm, its easy enough to build a computer when you know how but remember, with lego you dont have to worry about bricking hundreds of euros worth of gear with esd, or eletrocuting yourself, or getting the correct drivers to make your system run properly. its not exactly the most complicated thing ever but unless you know the fundamentals it can go very wrong just as easily.

Ever try to leverage one lego piece from another only for it to fire into your eye? There is an element of risk in just about everything. This, of course, includes building your own computer.

But I wasn't advocating that the OP should roll around the ground in a nylon shell-suit before knocking a few funny looking doohickeys into the flat green thingy with a hammer. Rather, I was trying to offer a little encouragement. One doesn't need any super special knowledge. Go for it! Just stick to the rules.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to see what happens when I stick a fork in a socket.

Lol fanny nice !!!!!

digme wrote: »
    Lol fanny nice !!!!!

Choice of words bad you made... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

+1

Yup, but not just yet. We're talking Sims 3 here after all! :o:p The original CPU is adequate and upgrading the graphics card to a HD5570 would dramatically improve performace beyond what a modest CPU speed bump through swapping to a E6600 could achieve! ;)

For the sims? probably uses very little graphics card load, i'd say it's probably more cpu intensive than gpu
    Choice of words bad you made... :pac:

nah, just the wrong arrangement :D

I'm really talking about graphical enhancement - the base app will happily run on a P4 so even a low-clocked C2D can handle it amply; graphical improvement will likely need better than a HD2350, which is inferior to even current integrated graphics :o:o

Guys thanks so much for all your help!

Just to make things a bit clearer I can now give you the details of my current PC: (we put the old processor back in so now I can see it)

It has: Intel Pentium Dual CPU E2140 @1.60GHz

The Sims wants me to have a 2.4GHz processor "P4 or equivalent" (dunno what that means, I assumed Pentium 4? Just copied it off the back of the sims case:o).

My operating system is Vista.

So if I got a new graphics card would it still work even though my CPU is too slow?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

your cpu is fine p4 is single core your,s is dual core so its fine its the graphics card you want what size monitor are you playing game,s on

19" flatscreen monitor

Advertisement