Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

xbox v wii

• 25-11-2010 8:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Can anyone advise which is better option to buy the new xbox sensor or wii

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,586 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Depends what you want it for, if it's just for the motion aspect then the wii has a better selection of games, if you want it for proper games, proper online gamin etc, then xbox all the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Zeouterlimits

Decide by the games you want to play, that are out and are coming.
    With the 360 you'll be getting access to more than just the Kinect games too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,222 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

only reason to own a wii is mario games zelda games IMO ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

I was curious how much of a debate would open up re Wii vs Kinect. To be honest, as has been pointed out above, Kinect is more than just motion gaming, the potential for upcoming bells and whistles is phenomenal. Also as mentioned, the Wii has really shown itself to be nothing more than MArio and Zelda at this stage, Nintendo gamers will obviously disagree but I don't mean it in an attacking sense, what I mean is that outside of these titles a lot of the third party games that appeal to the motion control side of the Wii have been quite poor, a lot of developers looking for a quick buck. This is less likely with Kinect, I think anyways, as I think MS have a lot to prove and a lot of money to recoup and so will hopefully put themselves behind it a little more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 326 ✭✭marathont

If you have a HD tv, then I would definitely recommend an Xbox. Whatever about movies, games look way better in HD.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

marathont wrote: »
    If you have a HD tv, then I would definitely recommend an Xbox. Whatever about movies, games look way better in HD.

Would full be better then Hd ready and I have a 3d tv could I use that :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

Carpenter wrote: »
    Would full be better then Hd ready and I have a 3d tv could I use that :D:D

Not really seeing as next to no games are displayed in Full HD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,641 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

duploelabs wrote: »

Err on the box marketing != native 1080p. To pick but two off the list of 35 there is no way on earth that COD3 is running native 1080p, since all subsequent COD games so far are upscaled from sub 720p resolutions (I believe 600p). Halo 3 is 640p for sure as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,586 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Yeah xbox graphics are so much better, not just graphics but what can occur on screen in terms of enemies on at one time, explosions, slow down etc, so much more happens in an xbox game than the wii, which looks shoddier than the ps2 a lot of the times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

The xbox currently has much more bang for it's buck. Movies, music, loads of up to date reviews, features (Jessica Chobot.....melt.) and superb on line features.

Unless you have 6 year olds that are demanding you get a Wii I wouldn't get one. I got one when it was all hyped up and apart from a few parties playing bowling I haven't switched it on except to weigh myself. 350 for some weighing scales was a genius move on Nintendo's part but I feel a little hard done by.

Kinect has huge potential as both a gaming device and a controler and video camera and voice activated controls. And whatever they think of next!

Xbox wins even without kinect.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭smog

Wii was simply more fun for the party feel to it when there is a group around (particularly mixed sexes group) , but that has changed with kinect.

Add in also the price of wii
    4 controllers(4 x 30euro)
    4 Motion plus(4 x 25 euro)
    4 Nunchucks(4 x 15euro)
    Wii Fit board for the misses(100 Euro)
    So in total my hardware has cost me 240 (console) + 280 Controllers + 100 Fit board = 620 Euro.

If Kinect had been available to add on to the xbox a couple of years ago i know what i would have gone for!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

smog wrote: »
    Wii was simply more fun for the party feel to it when there is a group around (particularly mixed sexes group) , but that has changed with kinect.

Add in also the price of wii
    4 controllers(4 x 30euro)
    4 Motion plus(4 x 25 euro)
    4 Nunchucks(4 x 15euro)
    Wii Fit board for the misses(100 Euro)
    So in total my hardware has cost me 240 (console) + 280 Controllers + 100 Fit board = 620 Euro.

If Kinect had been available to add on to the xbox a couple of years ago i know what i would have gone for!

Just for the sake of argument, a bundle such as the above would now cost more in the neighborhood of €520 (at least in Smyths anyway!) and that'd include any Wii game €64.99 or less and the Mega Accessory Pack on top of whats listed.

Still though, far much more than a Kinect bundle will set you back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 196 ✭✭joker@

In my opinion there is no point to compare wii to x360 2 different types of consoles.First is only for kids which dont care about video quality and fatter ladies who think this will help loose some kg.
    Second is more complex and have bigger support,better quality games (video)...blablabla.

Advertisement