Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

X-Tools Torque Wrench from Chainreaction

• 25-11-2010 9:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭

I just bought this from Chainreaction. While it works as a wrench in both directions the torque measurement part only works while tightening. I don't know whether I've got a faulty one or is this the way it's meant to be:confused:.

Any else got this wrench able to help me out? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Guybrush T

Which bolts do you need to undo to a specific torque? As far as I know all torque wrenches only work for tightening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

Guybrush T wrote: »
    Which bolts do you need to undo to a specific torque? As far as I know all torque wrenches only work for tightening.

Bottom Bracket on drive side and pedal on non-drive side have reverse thread so need to turn anti-clockwise to tighten!

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Guybrush T

Do either have torque values to tighten them to? I usually do bottom bracket 'good and tight' and pedals 'not very tight' as they tighten as you go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭C3PO

Bottom Bracket on drive side and pedal on non-drive side have reverse thread so need to turn anti-clockwise to tighten!

Good point! I was going to jump in with some "smart arsed" reply when I saw the original post .... glad I didn't now! I have a BBB and also a larger Draper torque wrench and I'm pretty sure they both only limit torque for clockwise tightening ... must check tomorrow!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭abcdggs

Do either have torque values to tighten them to? I usually do bottom bracket 'good and tight' and pedals 'not very tight' as they tighten as you go.
    Campagnolo® recommended torque is 310 inch pounds for cups each side.

From the park tool website

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

A beam-style torque wrench, like Park's TW-2, will work in both directions. I'm not sure if ratcheting torque wrenches that work in both ways exist - I've never thought of testing mine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

Well, to be honest, the Bottom Bracket torque is much higher than the 22NM that this wrench goes to and the pedals don't really matter. I just thought given the choice I'd get one that works both ways. I knew the BBB one only works one way.

However, having used both now, the BBB is much nicer to use, has a more solid feel, and comes with the hex keys in a nice box - well worth the extra money. I wish I'd bought it:(.

Might make a nice Christmas prezzie for someone .................:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

Normal torque wrenches will only ever work for tightening torques. It's due to the design. It's also recommended that you don't use them for loosening tight nuts as this can knock them off calibration in extreme circumstances. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torque_wrench

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Pigeon Reaper is right, the golden rules of (click/dial) torque wrenches are:

1) Only use it for applying torque, use a standard wrench if you need to loosen something a bit.

2)If it's a dial type, set it to zero when finished.

3) Don't drop it!

Advertisement