Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enniscorthy's heritage for sale on eBay?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Missent

Judgment Day, have seen that item for quite a while on Ebay and see no reason why it can be linked to Enniscorthy given that it only bears a number. Not remotely worth the money in my view.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Missent wrote: »
    Judgment Day, have seen that item for quite a while on Ebay and see no reason why it can be linked to Enniscorthy given that it only bears a number. Not remotely worth the money in my view.

Enniscorthy is written on the lable if you look closely.

I know some people worked on renovations in a Courthouse ,and there are many ' crime scene '' exhibits in the cellar.

Items going back to the last century .

This item reminds me of this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

At least this guy stands to get some benefit from the sale of our heritage, unlike the rest of us. :mad:
    It looks to me like the very sort of thing you could be doing with in Enniscorthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Missent

Thanks, allthe doyles. Had looked at that item several times and couldn't figure out the link to Enniscorthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Ian7

have you tried getting in touch with the seller?
    could it have originated from the Enniscorthy RIC barracks?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭TheChevron

Someone should make him an offer, of say one tenth of what he is looking for. The guy could be chancing his arm with that price seeing as he does not know where it came from or when it dates from.

sorry if i'm slightly straying of topic here but i just realised that i have no idea where the RIC barracks was in Enniscorthy. My first instinct would be Barrack street but that area was chock full of malting buildings. Can anyone help me out?

Ian7 wrote: »
    sorry if i'm slightly straying of topic here but i just realised that i have no idea where the RIC barracks was in Enniscorthy. My first instinct would be Barrack street but that area was chock full of malting buildings. Can anyone help me out?

Sorry, just answered my own question here by chance..
    looks like it was based at no. 2 court street where byrnes bookstore is now
    http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai003567019/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭klong

Ian7 wrote: »
    Sorry, just answered my own question here by chance..
    looks like it was based at no. 2 court street where byrnes bookstore is now
    http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai003567019/

Then moved to Abbey Square, where the car park is now. It was certainly there in 1916 and the first Garda station was there also. New Garda station built in 1967 and present one in early 1990s.

Apologies for dragging up old topic! Was looking a somewhat similar topic and this thread popped up

Cheers Klong!

By the way, just looking back at my question there and wondering why Barrack Street was named Barrack Street?

• Advertisement

Quite possibly from a militia barracks which stood on the street; this is mentioned in the Enniscorthy 1500 book on page 35.

In 1843 the building was a corn store and was subsequently demolished when the Roche Maltings were built (where Dunnes is now) later in the 19th century.

interesting. When was it there? It must have been there at quite an important time for the street to have been named after it. may have a read through that book later there. Could the town have had two barracks at once? i.e. constabulary and military?

Possibly, though it wasn't unusual for the military to have a policing function, though that was usually in the days prior to the constabulary being established.

There was what was described as a "temporary" barracks in Enniscorthy in 1811 with over 400 officers and men- perhaps it was on the Barrack Street site.

Advertisement