Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dessert/sweet/cake recipie suggestion

Options
  • 25-11-2010 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭

Just got a craving to bake something at the weekend..
    No idea what!

Dont like dark chocolate, that's about all i can think of..

Any suggestions and (easy-ish) recipies appreciated :)

(oh and not chocolate cake)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭nompere

This is a Nigella recipe that I cook every couple of weeks. MY daughters call it proper pudding, to distinguish it from the healthy fruity alternatives.

Serves 2 greedy people

2 stale croissants

100g caster sugar

2 x 15ml tbsp water

125ml double cream

125ml full-fat milk

2 x 15ml tbsp bourbon

2 eggs, beaten

1 Preheat the oven to 180C/Gas 4.

2 Tear the croissants into pieces and put in a small gratin dish; I use a cast iron oval one with a capacity of about 500ml.

3 Put the caster sugar and water into a saucepan, and swirl around to help dissolve the sugar before putting the saucepan on the hob over a medium to high heat.

4 Caramelize the sugar and water mixture by letting it bubble away, without stirring, until it all turns a deep amber colour; this will take 3 to 5 minutes. Keep looking but don’t be too timid.

5 Turn the heat down to low and add the cream – ignoring all spluttering – and, whisking away, the milk and bourbon. Any solid toffee that forms in the pan will dissolve easily if you keep whisking over a low heat. Take off the heat and, still whisking, add the beaten eggs. Pour the caramel bourbon custard over the croissants and leave to steep for 10 minutes if the croissants are very stale.

6 Place in the oven for 20 minutes and prepare to swoon.

With experience I've tweaked it a bit. None of us think that adding alcohol does anything for it at all. Using pain au chocolate instead of plain croissants adds quite a bit. Leaving the caramel to cool before adding the eggs helps to avoid scrambling them. It works really well if you cook it in individual ramekins, though do use a bain-marie in that case. Some caramel ice cream goes well with it.

Advertisement