Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ellie Goulding's "Your Song" - what do we think?

Options
  • 25-11-2010 10:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43,934 ✭✭✭✭

I hate to see this.. but I'm actually quite fond of this!

The original is canon, but as I've said in the past.. I have respect for a band / singer that takes a song and doesn't "cover-by-numbers" (take note Westlife), she takes the song and puts her own distinctive spin on it.

It's being rumoured as being a potential Xmas Number 1... I'd certainly prefer to it to standard X Factor tosh that'll be thrown out. Although I'm certain my warm feeling towards the song may change when the radio stations overplay it to death.

PS - I certainly prefer to the horrific version done by The Streets, specifically down to Mike Skinner's voice. Don't get me wrong.. The Streets have some classic songs ('Weak Becomes Heroes' being a personal favourite):

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 EmmaPants

This is a pretty good version, but Ewan McGregor's from Moulin Rouge will always be my favourite :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

I like this Ellie Goulding version , not sure if it's potential number one , some terrible songs have made it to no 1 over the years but I never did equate commercial success of a song as always deserving to be so good luck to her if it does hit top spot .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Have to say I really love Ellies version of Your Song and it has my favourite part of London in the video :)

Song is also being used in Christmas advert for John Lewis.

Have only recently discovered Ellie, love her song The Writer, very distinctive voice and beautiful eyes imo :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I'm not a fan of Ellie Goulding, but I do love this. I always found Elton's version a bit weird, like there was no real structure to it? Probably what he was going for, with the rambling words and all that but it never really worked for me.
    I like the arrangement on this version much more, and she does have a rather nice voice.

I don't think it'll be Christmas number 1 though because it's already at number 2 in this weeks midweeks, so by the time Christmas rolls around it'll probably have fallen way down the charts. Plus there's XFactor, the anti XFactor campaign and apparently Gamu to contest with too.

Advertisement