Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What's wrong with my computer? Techies help!I'm really frustrated with my computer. I

• 25-11-2010 10:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭

I'm really frustrated with my computer. It's a Dell Inspiron 9400 laptop from 2007 running Windows Vista. I run Lightroom 3 and Photoshop CS2, but have deleted a lot of programs in order to free up disk space. I store most of my photos on an external hard drive. My computer keeps telling me my OS C Drive is full and I need to delete files to create more disk space. I've cleaned it up all I can and it says I have used up 127GB out of 137GB. It is VERY SLOW. I sit around waiting for it to catch up with me.
    The internet hangs alot a too, but this might be because I'm using a Vodafone DSL broadband connection? Should I buy a new computer that is better able to handle the new Lightroom and my camera RAW files?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Elite_Etnisa

No its not DSL connection.
    Your disk is just full check it in my computer as well. If i was you i would reinstall windows putting in XP making two partition 10 gb for windows it self and the rest for you files and never save anything oc C:/.

If you dont render or do any advanced work with graphic you can keep with this laptop and for future i would advice to get a desktop for graphics rendering with a good screen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭kbell

Having a similar problem as the op,and tried the same steps to rectify the problem with no luck also, any advise for us would be great :)

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭newbridgemom

I'm great with camera technology, but not computers I'm afraid. I have no idea how to uninstall Vista and re-install XP. How do I do this? Also, not sure how to partition?

if it helps, I've just looked at the DELL Support Centre. It says that my OS (C:/) has
    100GB 71.7% Other
    267MB .19% Compressed
    28MB .02% Web Files
    19.1GB 13.72% Windows
    3.2GB 2.30% Programmes
    69.2MB 0.05% Documents
    132.6MB 0.09% Video
    2.1MB 0% Audio/Music
    4.8GB 3.44% Pictures
    11.8GB 8.48% Free Space

Is something eating up the Other space that is slowing my computer down? What is contained in this space? I can't seem to get a list of what is in it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

When you delete files are you then emptying the recycle bin?

Also when you remove programs are you doing a proper uninstall?

Have you tried doing a system restore to the furthest possible date to see what difference that makes?

Edit: are you sure you just have a c: drive? when you go into my computer what drives do you have there?

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Before you go uninstalling, let's see can we figure out where the space is being used.

If you go to my computer, and double click on the c drive. There will only be a couple of folders. Hold your mouse pointer over each of them in turn to see how large they are.

When you find the largest one, enter it. Repeat the process till you find the folder with all the junk. It's probably a temp folder, where some program (maybe antivirus) has been creating temp file after temp file until your hard drive is full.

You can delete those temp files, maybe reinstall the application you think may be causing it.

More advice here.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/104637-temporary-files-temp-folder.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭mbiking123

Hello

You can delete files however they are not really deleted, this is how hackers can rob software off hard drives that have even been formatted.

For your problem it would appear that you have deleted files however they are probably in the recycle bin. Ensure that the recycle bin is empty and this should free up hard disk space.

With alot of information being saved and then deleted your hard drive may need to be defragged, Windows comes with a tool to defrag. In fact there is a tool to clean up hard disk space which you may find useful. For example cookies that the browser downloads can be deleted.

Vista does like RAM and alot of it, your probably on 32 bit OS so anymore than 3GB or RAM is a waste, if your on 1GB RAM or less this will lead to your system running slow.

Anit-Virus software can sometimes slow a system down but is very important. Do you have anti-virus software ? You should have. If you have a virus/trojan etc this could lead to many problems including your system being hyjacked. The software may need to download updates, this will slow down your Internet. Allow the updates and allow a complete scan of your system. A scan will slow your system down as it takes up processor resources and memory space.

Windows OS updates can also lead to a slow Internet connection if updates are being downloaded

hope this helps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 197 ✭✭softdancomputer

1. install ccleaner. clean harddrive and registry. use default settings.
    2. defragment, use Defraggler
    3. save money, upgrade to win 7 or downgrade to xp, vista is crap

I find Vista fine, it just needs alot of RAM. 2GB should be fine

Runs photoshop, dreamweaver etc fine

its a personal thing, but if you change OS you may have problems with drivers and some hardware may not work so I would stay with Vista

A lot of info here, thanks!

My computer has an E, C, and D drive.
    I always empty the recycle bin. Do it constantly as I'm always getting the warning to clear up disk space.
    I've de-fragged, but haven't done system restore.
    I un-install programs fully but can't seem to get Yahoo Messenger off.
    lloking at the disk space in the Dell Support Centre, it seems something in the 100GB space marked OTHER is the problem. It can't be programs.

I have the free version of Avira Personal Anti-virus. There was a Trojan warning about 2 months ago, but I think Avira quarantined it. Not sure how to find out if it's fully removed? I'm running a full anti-virus scan now.

Just ran PC Check-up in the Dell Support Center and it says my computer has Failed! Under Hard Drive, Targeted Read Test Failed and SMART Short Self test failed. It warns me here that "Your drive indicates that a failure may be imminent. Back-up all important files and replace your drive".
    This sounds pretty serious. I guess I need to move Lightroom onto my external hard drive in case the system fails? HELP! I have a Samsung HM160JI ATA device hard drive. I guess i should contact Dell ASAP.

Hello

This happened me with a laptop before but it got alot of use and was old. A hard disk is mechanical and with everything mechanical they do fail. Being Win Vista I thought it was a little early to fail

In any case def back up, I think you need a new hard drive from your post. Perhaps you are still within warranty for a replacement hard drive ??

Hard drive and batteries are usually the first things to fail in a laptop ( my own opinion)

• Advertisement

One more thing a hard drive before it fails usually makes more noise than usual as the heads reading the platter are not moving as good as when new. Hard to know with laptop, easier when its a PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Elite_Etnisa

I mean you can play with ccleaners and stuff but it wont help. Restoring is the most useless function in windows till 7.

Go into your drive C: and delete files that you dont need shift + delete. If you dont get much more space check your system with online scanners. If they find nothing then just give your pc to someone that knows a little about computers he will sort stuff out. Computers just fail after a time and need a fresh windows.

Get a copy of XP put it in your drive . Restart computer press F7 i think at the start to boot up your cd / press any key to boot it up and follow instructions. When you get to partitions delete all of them and create 2 new ones. Its really simple looks scary first time :)

Back up all your important data. If you dont want to do it your self there must be someone in your town thatll do it for a "fiver". Well copy of legit xp costs but .... Anyway cleaning computer with a lot of viruses and garbage in many files is a waste of time and nearly impossible.

Harddrive message might be caused by viruses eating up your pc and sending false data to system. Swapping out a disk is not too hard either . Many tutorials on that but you should quickly make a back up not a vista one just copy your important files to an external drive.

I wrote down the error reports from the Dell Support Log File and will call Dell tomorrow. It seems there is a hard drive problem.
    Would you recommend getting a new hard drive in the same computer, or should I just get a new computer. i haven't looked at computer prices, but I think they have been coming down since 2007?

too tired to deal with this thing anymore. will try again tomorrow. thank you for all of the help though!

If you go for a new Laptop you will be getting Win7

64bit is available, with i5 which is a quad processor

if your looking for speed and cant be bothered with the hassle of a new hard drive and reinstallation etc then maybe a new laptop is for you

I have a Toshiba i3 64bit 4GB ram which is nice and fast

i5 and i7 now available if your willing to spend the money

your laptop coming on 4 years old, maybe an idea to upgrade. My old laptop thats 4 years old the touchpad is giving problems from the constant use. hence why I got a new one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 184 ✭✭Razzuh

Hi,

First, given the warning about the drive, I'd repeat the suggestion that you should immediately backup anything of value.

To identify whats taking up all your HD space I suggest you download and run this program:

http://download.cnet.com/TreeSize-Free/3000-2248_4-10139400.html?tag=mncol;1

To get a better idea what state your hard drive is in, I'd suggest you run 'check disk':

1. Open Computer by clicking the Start button 4f6cbd09-148c-4dd8-b1f2-48f232a2fd33.png, and then clicking Computer.
    2. Right-click the hard disk drive that you want to check, and then click Properties.
    3. Click the Tools tab, and then, under Error-checking, click Check Now. 18abb370-ac1e-4b6b-b663-e028a75bf05b.png If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
    4. Select both Automatically fix file system errors and Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors.
    5. Click Start.

This will take a long time to run.

I don't know if this will give you a report in Vista. If it does, let us know what it says. If it doesn't give a report, say so, and I'll help you find it (windows almost always dumps a report somewhere).

Let us know what the size of those other drives are (capacity and space used), and also what you find is taking up all the space using 'treesize'.

If you do need a new hard drive you'd probably be better off getting a new laptop entirely I think, but it depends on your budget.

183,586.5MB Users
    19,127.27MB Windows
    2,546.6MB Programs

are the big ones from the TreeSize program.

What does this mean? It's really Greek to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

183,586.5MB Users
    19,127.27MB Windows
    2,546.6MB Programs

are the big ones from the TreeSize program.

What does this mean? It's really Greek to me.

Click on the '+' symbol next to each folder and it'll tell you what's taking up most space in that folder and so on. There are probably a few folders with large amounts of stuff in them that you don't need. Treesize will help you find them. Then you can do a bit of tidying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭ronkmonster

If you install this
    http://crystalmark.info/download/index-e.html#CrystalDiskInfo

It will give you a health warning for your hard drive.

Green for good
    Yellow for dying but not straight away
    Red for almost dead and you need to get stuff off now.

It reads the SMART from the hard drive itself.

I haven't had any time to follow on with your suggestions because I forgot my power cord at my in-law's this weekend. I will follow up and thank you to everyone. Will report what I find when I get my power back.

• Advertisement

Ok, I've checked the details of the Treesize report. Most of the memory is taken up by USERS: 103,144.1 MB. Under details, % of Parent is 80.2%. CD/DVD size is 103,136.7MB. Files: 34,364. Folders:13,796.

Maybe the problem is with the CD/DVD? Why is it using up so much space?
    I will check the rest of these messages and get back to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

Ok, I've checked the details of the Treesize report. Most of the memory is taken up by USERS: 103,144.1 MB. Under details, % of Parent is 80.2%. CD/DVD size is 103,136.7MB. Files: 34,364. Folders:13,796.

Maybe the problem is with the CD/DVD? Why is it using up so much space?
    I will check the rest of these messages and get back to you.

Just keep following the + sign beside the largest folder in users until you get to the root of where all the space is been taken up.
    The fact its users folder means its probably pictures, music or video's taking up the space

CrystalMark is giving me a Yellow warning. There are yellow marks beside Reallocated Sectors Count and Current Pending Sector Count. Temp is 42 degrees C.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

CrystalMark is giving me a Yellow warning. There are yellow marks beside Reallocated Sectors Count and Current Pending Sector Count. Temp is 42 degrees C.

It's pointless installing such a program when you already know you have a problem and what that problem is. It's like buying a pregnancy test after 8 months of pregnancy.

The problem: Low disk space.
    The solution: Free up disk space.

Your computer is like a filing cabinet overflowing with files. This makes finding anything a slow process, hence your laggy system. Just like clearing out all the non-essential files that are clogging up the cabinet, you have to remove non-essential programs from your hard drive.

A program like ccleaner, as previously suggested, will help clear out a fair amount of space by removing a lot of crap from places like the temp folder etc. However, there comes a point where you are going to have to go into C:\Program Files and determine what files and folders should be deleted. Do you have loads of games that you don't play, for example? Do you have loads of images stored in a folder(s) somewhere that you don't touch?

It is also a good idea to clear out any installation files that you have run (they might all be contained in a download folder). For example, if you downloaded a copy of Photoshop you should delete the installation file after you have finished extracting and installing the program. Failing to do this means that you not only have Photoshop, which takes up a fair whack of hard drive space, you also have the associated installation file, which itself takes up room. It's equivalent to indefinitely keeping the box to your computer, kettle, television or whatever lying around the house after the content has been unpacked.

Also, if you have loads of superfluous user accounts on your computer then you should delete them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Another thing, I wouldn't be surprised if your computer is riddled with spyware and whatever else. Do you run regular scans?

Lightroom 3 seems to be saving 80GB of pictures. I think it is doing backups and just saving everything. While Treesize says 90GB is taken up by Pictures, 80GB is in Lightroom. I will try deleting the Lightroom files to see if it speeds it up.

Can always use askthedirectory to sell off your old computer and buy a new one

Advertisement