Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mechanical engineering

Options
  • 25-11-2010 10:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Anyone doing mechanical engineering?
    In sixth year and looking at doing mech in UCD, what's it like?
    Is it very maths/theory based or is it more practical?
    Would you recommend UCD for engineering?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

Very, very maths based. You really do need good maths, or more correctly, you really need to be interested in maths and work at it. I was just saying this morning how engineering wasn't the 4 years of playing with lego they advertise it as! That said i did take a module last year that was building a robot from lego :)

I'm second year electronic but the first year is common in all disciplines and i know loads of people doing mech. Its not a free ride by any means but it really is rewarding.

I love it in UCD but that could be as much to do with what being in college means to me (i'm a slightly immature mature student with a second chance) as the actual place/course.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 engsmeng

Im in final year mech eng at the minute. The course is very maths based with alot of theory. You do really have to be good at maths, enjoy it or be willing to work hard at it. It isnt really practical at all, much more theory based, you to some practical eg. Product design, welding, CAD graphics/solid modeling, defect tests, aerodynamics labs ect.
    But it is a great course, if you see it through, you'll get a top class education in engineering, you'll gain good knowledge in every field, maths theory, manufacturing, design, technology, energy systems ect, some very interest cutting edge stuff.
    It's still a great field to get into, the amount of job oppertunities even this year with the resession, that or on offer is unreal. alot more than i expected.

Its also a great course socially, all engineering is, great people that all help each other(which is rare), great events, great societies and a very friendly atmosphere. I couldnt recommend it more.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Which Eng branch has the least maths??

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Which Eng branch has the least maths??

If you have to ask that question, engineering probably isn't for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Overature

they all have a good bit of maths in them, from my experiance in the maths modules all you really need is know enough to pass the exams, for the other modules there are alot of formuleas but every collage will have them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

If you have to ask that question, engineering probably isn't for you.

I'm just wondering, I don't plan on doing it I've just heard that after the first two years you move away from theory and it's all design etc. just wanted to know if any of them would be more compatible with say construction at LC level rather than physics or maths

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

Going by what posters have said in the TCD Science thread, I would imagine Mechanical Engineering to be anything but Mechanical ;), in that in Science degrees; Physics becomes more like Maths, Chemistry becomes Physics and Biology becomes Chemistry etc... I didn't do Engineering but know people that have done it. I'd only be repeating what other posters here have said; rewarding course, hard work, lots of Maths. On the outside looking in though, a BE (ME, with the new changes introduced) in Mechanical Engineering really is a big +1 on the cv, you'd be able for a tonne of jobs in many other fields. It really is a degree that I would have loved to have done if I was any way have decent at Maths.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Overature

El Siglo wrote: »
    Going by what posters have said in the TCD Science thread, I would imagine Mechanical Engineering to be anything but Mechanical ;), in that in Science degrees; Physics becomes more like Maths, Chemistry becomes Physics and Biology becomes Chemistry etc... I didn't do Engineering but know people that have done it. I'd only be repeating what other posters here have said; rewarding course, hard work, lots of Maths. On the outside looking in though, a BE (ME, with the new changes introduced) in Mechanical Engineering really is a big +1 on the cv, you'd be able for a tonne of jobs in many other fields. It really is a degree that I would have loved to have done if I was any way have decent at Maths.:)

studying mechanical engineering is a broad subject, for instance in first year i had 3 maths modules, 2 physics, 1 chemestry, mechanics and electronics, now that ive speciallised im doing manufacturing process, fluid mechanics, electrical cicuits, one maths, heat transfer. but thats only in one semester. they all fall under mechanical engineering and most people will by an expert in one feild and not in the others. do mech engineering, its awesome

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

El Siglo wrote: »

very good point there actually, I'm doing physics and I have 2 Applied Maths modules, 2 pure maths modules and 2 physics modules this semester. Next semester I have 2 physics modules (on is called mathematical methods for physicists), 2 Applied Math modules and 2 other pure maths modules (but they were chosen as electives). So yes, lots of maths. But anything really in the material and physical sciences is very maths based anyway, so too is engineering.

@OP, maths is taught differently is college though in comparison to the LC. You'll most likely end up loving it after a while, it's very interesting so don't view it negatively. Once you're immersed in it you'll get used to it.

Advertisement