Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Head Torches

Options
  • 25-11-2010 10:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭

Planning on investing in one, not to sure what to get, looking at headtorch, any other suggestions appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I have that very model that you have linked there. If you are dublin based you can get it at snow and rock in Dundrum shopping centre. I got it for €45 I thing. Does a great job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭HxGH

ronnie085 wrote: »
    Planning on investing in one, not to sure what to get, looking at headtorch, any other suggestions appreciated

I have a PETZL myself.

I highly recommend them.

I don't know if this is the right one for you however, it depends on how frequent/commited you are to night walking. (or what have you.)

If it's going to get fair amount of usage go for it.

Try and pick one up in a shop, incase you need to return it or try another one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭ronnie085

menoscemo wrote: »
    I have that very model that you have linked there. If you are dublin based you can get it at snow and rock in Dundrum shopping centre. I got it for €45 I thing. Does a great job.

Thats great, not to far away from me, thanks, always find it better to see things in the flesh. It will be getting lot of use 3/4 times a week all going to plan training wise, fingers crossed, so dont mind spending few hard earned euro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Fair play ronnie, getting out and mobile in the dark is a great way to tackle winter training! Recently I got an UltraFire UF769 Cree P4 to replace several Petzl ones I've used over the years. It came highly recommended on the imra forum, and I could see why straight away, its vastly more powerful than any Petzl I've used. The batteries are contained in a pouch at the back, so the whole thing is balanced well. About €25, 10 days turnaround from HK.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,007 ✭✭✭opus

I got the Gamma head torch from Alpkit after it was recommended on the Marathon Talk podcast, arrived a few days after the order. Very happy with it I must say. Cost is £12.50 plus p&p.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Git101

Fantastic piece of kit.
    I've been using one on unlit country roads. I can actually see where I'm going now when I bother to switch it on :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

I've been using the Petzl Tikka 2-3 times per week for the last month, love it. Haven't changed the batteries yet about 12hrs useage.
    It has a useful pull up screen that allows you to spread the beam or have it targeted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭Peckham

Interview on MarathonTalk with Hywel Davies who ran a double Ironman that included 52 miles through the dark. Much of the discussion is about headtorches and general tips for running in the dark.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

I have a petzel tikka, its *okay*. A Use Exposure joystick and a head band rocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭boomdocker

i have this

http://www.uk.ayup-lights.com/products/64/

bit pricy maybe for running only, I also use it for mtb'ing.

fantastic light though, lightweight and bright.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

worth checking out the petzl myo. i use it for running in the pitch dark and find it excellent. very small and great light. about €80 on ebay/amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭ocnoc

The light you want depends on a) your budget and b) what your using it for.

I have this light and its pretty sweet. I use it in terrain, up the mountains and it does the job as well as for a wee jaunt around the less severe trails.

On the other hand, a mate has this one and it is awesome!

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭jeffontour

I've had a couple of Petzl head torches and think there's much better value to be had out there. Didn't find them to be very reliable either given their price and status in the market. Only reason I bought the current one(same as posted by the OP) was I needed a torch for an event that day after I found my previous one Petzl died.

As recommended the Ultrafire looks great and I've only heard good things about Exposure products.

If you're considering running off road skip Petzl and get more bang for your buck with one of the alternatives suggested. My Petzl will become a backup soon when I get round to ordering a new torch from one of the other brands mentioned.

On the Petzl front, they have a rechargable battery for the Tikka now: http://www.petzl.com/en/outdoor/headlamps/core-rechargeable-battery?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=@Petzl&utm_campaign=core&utm_content=en
    You can hook it up to your PC and change it's settings.

Fair play ronnie, getting out and mobile in the dark is a great way to tackle winter training! Recently I got an UltraFire UF769 Cree P4

Hey donothponpop, I ordered that headtorch 2 weeks ago today and still no sign of it, probably just the bad weather causing the delay, e-mailed them this evening and waiting on a reply, you didn't have any problems with them?

Hey donothponpop, I ordered that headtorch 2 weeks ago today and still no sign of it, probably just the bad weather causing the delay, e-mailed them this evening and waiting on a reply, you didn't have any problems with them?

Got mine in 10 days, but other stuff I've ordered from HK (different site) can sometimes take many weeks to arrive. Hope it turns up soon!

yeah, between snow, ice, races been postponed and threadmill driving me mad have 2 many excuses not to run, hopefully the dark evenings wont push me over the edge to lazyness, hate winter:mad:

Bump. Decent headtorch for €25 delivered.

Time to winterize. Also, YaxTrax are available in plenty of stores, get 'em before the snow comes.

Robin, B&Q have a sale on boxes of screws :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭baza1976

http://www.argos.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?storeId=10152&catalogId=13352&langId=111&searchTerms=HEAD+TORCH&authToken= what ye think of these from argos... What do people think of the wind up head lamp?

baza1976 wrote: »

Great for picking slugs from your runner beans late at night. Useless for running.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭baza1976

baza1976 wrote: »

Great for picking slugs from your runner beans late at night. Useless for running.
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭wideball

opus wrote: »
    I got the Gamma head torch from Alpkit after it was recommended on the Marathon Talk podcast, arrived a few days after the order. Very happy with it I must say. Cost is £12.50 plus p&p.

+1 on this headtorch. I got this last winter and it's great with the red rear light for quiet country roads. Powerful front light for a cheap price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭BobMac104

Does it eat batteries?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,007 ✭✭✭opus

BobMac104 wrote: »
    Does it eat batteries?

I've had the same battery in it since last year so I guess not! I don't use the really bright light though just the white LED one which is enough light for me.

Bump. Decent headtorch for €25 delivered.

Time to winterize. Also, YaxTrax are available in plenty of stores, get 'em before the snow comes.

Robin, B&Q have a sale on boxes of screws :)

Took a punt on this from another website
    Ordered on Oct 1st, arrived today, €18.35 delivered - nice bit of power there, not sure about the battery life, but a great bit of kit for < €20.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

I use a head torch for work every night on the railway.

Everyone uses these including me

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Energizer-headlight-LED-x3-/330627474182?pt=UK_SportsLeisure_Camping_LightsLanternsTorches&hash=item4cfaeee306#ht_500wt_1202

Cheap, light and a great beam

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Took a punt on this from another website

Cheap, but 5.71 oz = 160g, and I don't know if that's with or without batteries. My biggest issues with headlamps is weight (apart from the ridiculous prices for the Petzls)

gsxr1 wrote: »

77 g with batteries, that's more like it.

Having said that, my €3.99 "camping head light" I got from Lidl or Aldi last year is doing me perfectly fine. I wouldn't go anywhere near a trail with it but for the road it does the business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

Cheap, but 5.71 oz = 160g, and I don't know if that's with or without batteries. My biggest issues with headlamps is weight (apart from the ridiculous prices for the Petzls)

77 g with batteries, that's more like it.

Having said that, my €3.99 "camping head light" I got from Lidl or Aldi last year is doing me perfectly fine. I wouldn't go anywhere near a trail with it but for the road it does the business.

I find the energizer will do a 49 hour working week before a battery change. Then I use rechargeable aaa batteries . I get less hours with rechargeable, but dont mind as they are free after the first purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭seanynova

it seems that most of the headlamps posted have a centre strap over the head also....is that a big advantage when running?

was thinking of buying one from this attace store...not sure which one though. any recommendations?
    http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/Electronics/Lighting/Headlamps.jsp

what should i be looking for? LED, internal rechargeable battery, weight, anything else?
    thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭kingQuez

Petzl kit is ok, I'd only really use a tikka for camping or as a backup though. I used to use a duo for various things. I like my exposure spark on my bike and would consider using it as Tunney suggests on a headstrap, its a great light but doesnt give much ambient light (which is what the tikka and duo do a lot better) so not sure I'd spend that much cash on it specifically for running with.

Advertisement