Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Head Torches

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

seanynova wrote: »
    it seems that most of the headlamps posted have a centre strap over the head also....is that a big advantage when running?

was thinking of buying one from this attace store...not sure which one though. any recommendations?
    http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/Electronics/Lighting/Headlamps.jsp

what should i be looking for? LED, internal rechargeable battery, weight, anything else?
    thanks

You only need the center strap if it's heavy, I've a Petzl (Tikka XP2) and it's perfect for good surfaces, if I'm going off road I'm using the new I got above which has more power and the batteries on the back.
    I went all last winter without changing the batteries in the Petzl, not sure the new one is as green.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Bugsy2000

I have the Petzl (Tikka XP2) too. It's definitely fine for road running. It gives a great spread of light and I've never had any issues with it slipping or moving on my head. It's a very comfortable wear. I've never used it off road so I've no idea what it would be like for trail running.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭seanynova

cheers guys,

got the tikka xp2 in the end...was that or the tikka but the extra distance/battery life made the difference(even though is was $25 more expensive)...i may also use these hiking so all in all, the xp2 was the best fit for my needs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

For anyone that's interested, Trail Running Magazine will have a group test of 14 head torches in their latest issue
    http://www.facebook.com/TrailRunningMag

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Took a punt on this from another website
    Ordered on Oct 1st, arrived today, €18.35 delivered - nice bit of power there, not sure about the battery life, but a great bit of kit for < €20.

Hows this one working out for you, hows the light from it, would it light up enough to go off road/trail at night, nothing major just a park with some tree cover.

• Advertisement

shels4ever wrote: »
    Hows this one working out for you, hows the light from it, would it light up enough to go off road/trail at night, nothing major just a park with some tree cover.

More than enough for a park with tree cover, I use my Petzl in Shanganagh and the one above if I'm going off piste - DoNot and SJ have the same one also.

More than enough for a park with tree cover, I use my Petzl in Shanganagh and the one above if I'm going off piste - DoNot and SJ have the same one also.

Great thanks, think i'll pick one of them up then. Beats running in total darkness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

DoNot and SJ have the same one also.

I used mine in the Moonlight Challenge last Saturday night- 15 miles over the mountains, including 10 miles where the fog meant visibility was down to 2 meters. It worked brilliantly when the air was clear, and I put on the green light for the fog, good option to have. If I'm running on road I'll turn on just the blue or green light- putting on the main white light is like running in daylight. Great for off-road where you need to read the terrain.

I ordered a back-up one a couple of days ago: great value at that price.

I used mine in the Moonlight Challenge last Saturday night- 15 miles over the mountains, including 10 miles where the fog meant visibility was down to 2 meters. It worked brilliantly when the air was clear, and I put on the green light for the fog, good option to have. If I'm running on road I'll turn on just the blue or green light- putting on the main white light is like running in daylight. Great for off-road where you need to read the terrain.

Green light , red light, blue light :eek: - Can you put them all on at the same time and have some funky strobe while you run :)

shels4ever wrote: »
    Green light , red light, blue light :eek: - Can you put them all on at the same time and have some funky strobe while you run :)

The one "complaint" about this piece of gear is that you have to scroll through all the lighting options when turning off. So when I'm running in green light (which is low, and seems close to moonlight), and a car with headlamps starts driving towards me, I have to hit the button a few times to go green>blue>flashing red>off>kickass-1000000lumen-whitelight-"youblindme, I'll blind you">and back to red when he turns down his headlamps.

Yes this headlamp will have you playing chicken with cars :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

I just ordered two of them

Who did you order it from diggger ? I'm looking at bestofferbuy.com as per Beepbeep who got his, but as I've never heard of them before my suspicious mind is working overtime !

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Who did you order it from diggger ? I'm looking at bestofferbuy.com as per Beepbeep who got his, but as I've never heard of them before my suspicious mind is working overtime !

I thought the same, but couldn't find any issues through researching them, payment is through PayPal.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

How about someone record a quick video of their head-mounted light-sabre, versus their Petzl torch, in the wilds of.. say Shangannagh Park, so the rest of us can see if it's worth the investment? ;)

How about someone record a quick video of their head-mounted light-sabre, versus their Petzl torch, in the wilds of.. say Shangannagh Park, so the rest of us can see if it's worth the investment? ;)

Can Emer911 bring the Camera, Action and we can bring the Lights - We need to target 1m You Tube hits - so I'll a dig a big hole for you to fall in to :p

I thought the same, but couldn't find any issues through researching them, payment is through PayPal.

Yep, that's them...And as BeepBeep says, payment is through PayPal!

Cool, don't have a Paypal account, even though I dealt with them professionally for a while. Time to create one. I'm guessing you're based in Tallaght, on their website in the little window showing the latest orders just after you posted, there was two for the head torch, one being delivered to Southhampton I think in the UK, the other to Tallaght !

If anyone else intends to order user the discount code DEAL10 which gives you 10% off so it comes in at just over €16.

If anyone else intends to order user the discount code DEAL10 which gives you 10% off so it comes in at just over €16.
    Where do you enter the discount code? :confused:

It's an odd one as I initially thought there was nowhere to enter it. It appears right at the very end of the process, I used paypal so after you sign in and you're eventually returned back to the website the discount code page appears then, it's nearly the very last thing before competing your order.

Yesterday I was looking for it in the basket and when you check out but I never completed the transaction but came upon it today when I followed through,

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭smoochie06

Just ordered one .(Thanks for the discount code ThisRegard). I run on country roads so hopefully be able to see were im going now:D

• Advertisement

I'm guessing you're based in Tallaght, on their website in the little window showing the latest orders just after you posted, there was two for the head torch, one being delivered to Southhampton I think in the UK, the other to Tallaght !

€16.

Live in Terenure but the paypal account is registered to my previous address so I just went with that... Hope my ex doesn't decide to break some bulbs ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

Cool, don't have a Paypal account, even though I dealt with them professionally for a while. Time to create one. I'm guessing you're based in Tallaght, on their website in the little window showing the latest orders just after you posted, there was two for the head torch, one being delivered to Southhampton I think in the UK, the other to Tallaght !

Cheers for the code, although it's a bit late now :)

I ordered one on Friday but not via paypal as I am in the process of moving to the UK so need to close my paypal A/A and open it in the UK. I never received any e-mail from them yet even though it it registered on the website and payment has been taken

Got an odd mail this morning from them, started off with this

We regret to inform you that the following item(s) you have ordered
    is currently out-of-stock:
    1 x UltraFire UF769 Cree P4 + 6 Multi-colored LEDs 5-Mode 130-Lumen LED
    Headlamp (3*AA) (E2520) = €18,35

That's fair enough, they've offered the following as a replacement

If it is acceptable, we have the following product to recommend as
    an alternative:
    1 x UF769 Cree P4 + 6 Multi-colored LEDs 5-Mode 130-Lumen LED
    Headlamp (3*AA) (OEM) = €18,35

Er, ok then. The only thing I can think of is that they're no longer sold with some branded battery included but some other non brand one ?

Er, ok then. The only thing I can think of is that they're no longer sold with some branded battery included but some other non brand one ?

This is what I got from them last year:
    1. We regret to inform you that the following item(s) you have ordered
    Headlamp (3*AA) (E2520) = $24.40

As the product is not in production currently, we are unable to advise
    availability in the future.

2. If it is acceptable, we have the following product to recommend as
    an alternative:
    1 x Cree P4 + 6 Multi-colored LEDs 5-Mode 130-Lumen LED
    Headlamp (3*AA) (OEM) = $24.40

Got a similar message to yours above for my order last week. It's the same torch.

Yeah, thought it would be the same torch when I read it but the batteries may have been different. Thinking about it someone probably initially entered the torch using a slightly different description to the the stock person who adds it under a different one when updating it. This people is why you should use product codes on your system and not descriptions, give the system designer a smack.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭smoochie06

We regret to inform you that the following item(s) you have ordered
    Headlamp (3*AA) (E2520) = €18,35

That's fair enough, they've offered the following as a replacement

If it is acceptable, we have the following product to recommend as
    an alternative:
    1 x UF769 Cree P4 + 6 Multi-colored LEDs 5-Mode 130-Lumen LED
    Headlamp (3*AA) (OEM) = €18,35

I got exactly the same this morning too. I thought it was odd all right. I couldn't see anything different except the OEM bit at the end in brackets.
    I went ahead with the order anyway. Ill post back when /if I get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 curv

bought one of these last month - got the same email - its the same product they send.

to be honest haven't worn it yet - bit self conscious i guess - but its great around the house!

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Wally Runs

I have the AP kit head torch (thanks for the tip). I am still on the first set of batteries, so I am wondering if anybody knows how they run down?

I mean do they just go or does the light fail over a period of time? I am talking about non-rechargable batteries.

Thanks

Move arrived this morning, pretty decent given it was only about a week ago when it was dispatched.

Initial thoughts, I've been done ! The thing wouldn't work at all, eventually it was traced to one of the batteries being not inserted correctly, there seems to be a fine line in making the connection correctly for one of them. Once it was working it is indeed very bright, although I'm not sure how useful the flashing lights are bar to get noticed, although I suppose that's exactly what they're for and not lighting your way.

It's not branded Ultrafire either, it's Liliang, cheap Asian knock off or different trading name ? Packaging is identical to the Ultrafire on their site but with Ultrafire replaced with Liliang and no branding itself on the torch. Ah sure it cost feic all anyway.

• Advertisement

Received mine. Should have come with a multimeter and a set of screw-drivers. Got it working eventually. Still, it's always good to break out the multimeter again and try and remember how it works. :)

Advertisement