Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BER Heat Exchanger Help

Options
  • 25-11-2010 10:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37

Hi Everybody, im a mechanical engineering student undertaking a project showing how a heat exchanger effects a BER, my research so far has'nt been productive so id be greatful if you the insightful folks could give me a bit of guidance,,thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

Give a little more info please such as are you using
    • DEAP
    • SAP AppQ
    • AT results ( predicted /assumed )

• Subscribers Posts: 41,644 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

the basic premise is that electricity as a fuel comes from power stations that run at approx 30% efficiency.

therefor eelectricity is processed at a factor of 2.7 ie it takes 2.7 units of energy to produce 1 unit of electric energy.

therefore heat exchangers need to be AT LEAST 270% efficient to "break even" from an energy point of view.

as SB says above, we need more info here to help you out.

perhaps post a link to your xml file?

Oops ! By heat exchanger I assumed heat recovery ventilation. But it could mean heat pump. Please clarify OP.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,644 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

my bad as well, i assumed heat pump..... :D;)

perhaps the OP can calrify

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

And of course boilers also have heat exchangers !

• Advertisement

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

the_shark wrote: »
    Hi Everybody, im a mechanical engineering student undertaking a project showing how a heat exchanger effects a BER, my research so far has'nt been productive so id be greatful if you the insightful folks could give me a bit of guidance,,thanks!

Heat exchanger for what?
    Heat exchangers are simple devices which can be applied to a great deal of applications.
    Even within houses there are literally tonnes of uses.
    In Boilers, on outlet flues, on air extracts, Radiators are technically heat exchangers, Hot water cylinder are heat exchangers, solar buffer tanks.

You are going to have to narrow it down.
    What exactly are you looking to do?

Is this your final year project?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 the_shark

hey thanks for replying,sorry for the lack of info at the start. its heat exchangers used for ventilation heat recovery systems and how they impact on the overall energy rating of the building.not a final year project but a fairly substantial one.I've downloaded DEAP but im basically pulling figures out of the sky when im using it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

the_shark wrote: »
    hey thanks for replying,sorry for the lack of info at the start. its heat exchangers used for ventilation heat recovery systems and how they impact on the overall energy rating of the building.not a final year project but a fairly substantial one.I've downloaded DEAP but im basically pulling figures out of the sky when im using it.

Do you have measurements of a house for reference purposes?
    Because if you did it would basically be a matter of changing the ventilation tab.

Basically you need a full data set for a house. That way you can look at the BER for the house before the Recovery ventilation is installed and after.
    Do you have this?

When you are looking for actual figures for the Heat recovery, there are defaults in the software and there is also a number of data sets for actual models in SAP appendix Q.

Advertisement