Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kindle - Do you have to get all your books from Amazon?

• 25-11-2010 10:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm interested in the Kindle. But I'd prefer to buy ebooks from an Irish retailer e.g. Easons.

If I buy the Kindle, can I only use Amazon to get ebooks or can I buy them elsewhere and simply drag and drop them on to the Kindle?

If the Kindle is locked into Amazon, what's the best e-reader to suit my needs?

Any advice on this would be welcome.

Boobar

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,314 ✭✭✭emo72

i think you need to check a program called calibre. it will do what you want, with a bit of effort from yourself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

emo72 wrote: »
    i think you need to check a program called calibre. it will do what you want, with a bit of effort from yourself

Spot on Emo72, that's exactly what I was looking for. This will help a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,314 ✭✭✭emo72

no problem boobar, you are welcome;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

i take it with that software books bought on itunes can be used on the kindle ?

they are different formats I believe but the calibre software will convert from one format to another.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

No, unless the DRM can be broken that's not possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

glasso wrote: »
    they are different formats I believe but the calibre software will convert from one format to another.
    If you email a .pdf document to your kindle email.

For e.g

Whoeverskindle@free.kindle.com and put Convert in the subject title, it will convert the books for you.

Advertisement