Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange temperature rise at Casement this morning?

Options
  • 25-11-2010 10:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭

Just noticed a huge temperature blip at Casement this morning. The temperature was steadily falling through the night and was at -3.9°C at 5am. At 6am there's a big jump in temperature and dewpoint to -0.7°C, then there's a big fall back down to -4.2°C.

I noticed that this rise coincided with a veering of the wind from westerly to northwesterly and back again after, and this would coincide with the location of a group of buildings that are only 25m away to the station's northwest.

136460.png

Three things could explain this blip:

• It was just a false reading in both the temperature and dewpoint. Unlikely, as this would have been caught by Met Éireann in their QC before publishing to the web. (I don't know what was reported on the met.ie site, but the IWN site shows the blip - not sure if this uses raw synops or not)
    • The rise was real and was as a result of the wind blowing warmth from the nearby buildings. Hmmm, with only 6-8kt winds and such cold conditions, it's unlikely that this would be possible, unless there was a nuclear reaction going on inside the building! (It is a military site afterall!) :D
    • The government jet started up its engines on the apron just to the north of the station. This would be plausible, but maybe a more plausible one would be the garda helicopter either taking from or landing on the helipads on the same apron. I'm not sure where the anenometer is located, but if it's located elsewhere then it wouldn't pick up the heli's downwash.

136463.png

136464.png

Any ideas anyone? The station does seem a bit close to both the buildings and apron.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

The helicopter theory makes most sense to me.

I can't see an anemometer within the weather station area, no shadows long enough for 10m height (unless the pole is really skinny!). It might be on top of the control tower, or maybe on top of one of the tall lamposts?

(click below for high res image)
    136494.jpg

Actually, looking at the shadows from the control tower on the roof of the building to the right looks very like windvane/anenometer/antenna type stuff (or is that radar?).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,740 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Could be a bit of cloud passing through which then cleared again:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Similar effects from a NW breeze here, though *not* quite as dramatic... see the wee hours data from the 25th here Su Campu... http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=ICOLAOIS2&day=25&year=2010&month=11

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

That's a great photo rougies, did you take it from an airliner?

I'd say the shadow you speak of is probably from some communication antennae, but there is what looks like a red and white 10m anenometer between the two buildings at the top of the picture. A bad place to put one if it is it.

There was no change in cloud cover observed at the time so it couldn't be that. I reckon it was either an error, a heli or maybe the presence of the observer too close to the sensor!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

Ah I see it, that's probably the anenometer alright. So it must have been either an error, a chopper, somebody standing next to it, or aliens! I'd still go with chopper.

As for the photo: http://www.bing.com/maps/ Choose "Bird's Eye" from the drop down menu at the top. Amazing coverage and quality, you can even look from N/S/E/W. Enjoy! ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement