Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to start a turf fire correctly

• 25-11-2010 10:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hi there,

Just after joining.

Can I ask what is the best,qucikest most efficent way to start a turf fire.

Usuually I put a firelighter in the middle of the grate,light it,build some kindlers(sticks) around it then add turf. It takes ages and sometimes wont light.

Any advice welcome

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Hi there,

Just after joining.

Usuually I put a firelighter in the middle of the grate,light it,build some kindlers(sticks) around it then add turf. It takes ages and sometimes wont light.

Any advice welcome

Better off with a Coal base, Fire lighters and then kindling on top. When you light, put the turf on top of the kindling and away it goes. Once the fire takes hold to the coal, it'll be away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

How is the turf ??
    Has it been dried properly, turf varies greatly and some will be dark and soapy and is hard to burn.. Good dry light coloured turf should burn easily..

If the turf is damp you're wasting your time and money as there will be even less heat than turf produces at it's best (which is very little IMO)

• Registered Users Posts: 27 CARROWKILLEN

THE TURF IS GOOD DRY STUFF ALRIGHT.

CAN ANYONE PRODUCE A VIDEO ON HOW TO DO THIS?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭dnme

Now this I gotta see, someone get on to eHow or ExpertVillage quick. Perhaps a DVD even.

Definitely subscribing to this thread :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 219 ✭✭40701085

The trick is simply to start with PLENTY of kindling/dry timber. Get the fire going hot with this timber first, then (and only then) throw on your turf & you'll be toastin for the evening.;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Gerry can of petrol.

hi

can someone please post a video on how start a fire?

thanks

hi

thanks

few fire lighters, ,light them, ,throw a few sticks on, ,then throw on a few shoovels of coal....

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭CashMoney

hi

thanks

I have made a video for you. Unfortunately, the distribution of the final edit has been held up due to a dispute between the director, producers, animators and, of course, the actors. And don't get me started on all of the health and safety hoops I had to jump through for you...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭dnme

Seriously, I think we should do this video, it could be hilarious

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

dnme wrote: »
    Seriously, I think we should do this video, it could be hilarious

Also starring and narrated by Pat Short or else Mrs Brown (aka Brendan O,Carroll)

PMSL at the potential outcome of it.:pac::pac:

You really need to go back to school,if you "seriously" need to see a video on how to light a fire.

FFS like.:rolleyes::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

The video i have made for you will hit general release on 12/02/11.
    It has been nominated for the oscars for best picture, best supporting actor (the firelighter) and best director (me).
    Colin farrell plays the man who cannot get the fire to light (OP), colm meany plays the older man who teaches him to light the fire and andrea corr plays the love interest who falls for farrell after he lights a successful fire following a spite of frosty weather.
    I hope you like the video OP and that you go forward and enjoy many years of firelighting...

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭spadesaspade

hahahaha, some funny f£££ers on this site

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Easiest way is to start with a fire log from Aldi or whatever. Once this is burning then put the turf on top.

http://www.wikihow.com/Light-a-Fire-in-a-Fireplace

Or do this but indoors in the grate, once fire is burning properly add turf.

Seriously,
    Can someone show us how to start a fire in a fireplace using turf and firelighters.

All my mates use firelogs but they are expensive to be using all the time.

Thanks

Seriously,
    Can someone show us how to start a fire in a fireplace using turf and firelighters.

Thanks

Stick your ar5e into the fire,after you have had a good hot curry,then get ready to let ripp,and then light up with the matches or zippo lighter,and VOILA.

Great help Paddy:mad:

few fire lighters, ,light them, ,throw a few sticks on, ,then throw on a few sods of turf......

There , saves me typing it out again....

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭CashMoney

Seriously,

Thanks

Seriously dude. It's not rocket science. Fire lighters at bottom. Thin dry kindling sticks on top of that. Heavier dry sticks on top of that. Light firelighters (or just use crumpled newspaper at base instead of firelighters). When all that catches hold. Place a piece or two of turf on top...

Did you even try to google this? Are you just winding us up? Would you prefer me to come around and light your fire for you every day so you don't have to bother your arse even trying?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

Hi there,

Just after joining.

Any advice welcome

hi

thanks
    Seriously,

Thanks

Troll methinks.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Enough!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement