Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

South Tipp General election thread

Options
  • 25-11-2010 10:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭

With the election looming, here's a thread to discussion how people feel the next general election might pan out.

I see Tom Hayes as being a shoo in and I thiink Mattie McGrath has proven himself enough with his local politics and his disagreements with Biffo but Martin Manseragh is a goner so who's out there to take his place?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭UpTheSlashers

I cant see McGrath running under FF this time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

No matter what people say theres a big core FF vote in south tipp and they have to vote some where so I can't see McGrath leaving FF

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭cml387

Are you,like me,imagining the things you'll say when FF people come to the door?

And then,when the time comes,just giving a non commital grunt when you see them in the flesh.

In a small way I feel sorry for them (i.e. FF canvassers) and what they're going to face.

Martin Manseragh called to us last time,Although he was talking away, I kept looking at his somewhat frayed shirt and wondering why he couldn't have a bought a new one for doorstepping purposes.

Seamus Healy should do well I'd guess.

I'd give Manseragh a preference above McGrath only because Mattie would like to be associated with FF in the good times and now when the going gets tough jumps ship.
    And remember,it was over stag hunting he lost the whip (mixed metaphor alert) and not anything to do with the economy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

cml387 wrote: »
    Are you,like me,imagining the things you'll say when FF people come to the door?

And then,when the time comes,just giving a non commital grunt when you see them in the flesh.

I am looking forward to FF coming. I'll tell them exactly what I think of them, and I will particularly take pleasure in telling Mattie McGrath that he is a parish pump politician who hasn't a fraction of the intelligence or education necessary to legislate on what's coming down the line. Although Mansergh does have the intelligence and education, his unswavering loyalty to FF means he'll get no vote from me.

I think Tom Hayes is a very low calibre politician. But I want Varadkar, Shatter, Noonan and Bruton in ministerial seats, so he'll get my no. 1.

I'm not sure about my second preference, but it won't be going to an Independent and the candidate in question will have to be well educated whoever he/she is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Dymo

Here's who ran last time out.

136510.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

Dymo wrote: »
    Here's who ran last time out.

136510.jpg

Dymo, any chance you could post the last election's results for N. Tipp on the N. Tipp election thread, or give us a link?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

EKRIUQ wrote: »
    No matter what people say theres a big core FF vote in south tipp and they have to vote some where so I can't see McGrath leaving FF
    There is a big core FF vote in Donegal aswell and look where it got them in the by election, down from 50% in the last election to 21% this time.even FF voters are sick of the crap government we have now.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

I wouldn't be surprised if two faced Mattie deserted the sinking ship and went Independant in the next election.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭julyjane

FG are running a 2nd candidate in the upcoming election - Tom Hayes TD and Clonmel councillor Michael Murphy. What are their chances of both getting in?

Healy is not running as an independent but in a new party called "United Left"
    http://www.joehiggins.eu/2010/11/press-statement-united-left-alliance-announces-general-election-challenge-today/

• Advertisement

If the Newcastle boy does jump ship and run independent,then FF will get to run their original choice as number 2 to Mansergh,i.e Siobhan Ambrose.

She's very easy on the eye and has FF pedigree.

I can't see Seamus Healy not getting a seat.

If Mattie votes for the budget,he'll run as FF and might just make it.

No way will FG get two seats,just can't see it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭julyjane

Mattie McGrath is on Tipp FM now and was introduced by Séamus Martin as "Independent TD Mattie McGrath"

His facebook page says he's a Fianna Fáil TD

Phil Prendergast confirmed to run for Labour again, wonder what her chances are. She'll need a massive improvement on 2007, hard to see her being elected but maybe the few years in the Seanad will have improved her popularity?

If the Newcastle boy does jump ship and run independent,then FF will get to run their original choice as number 2 to Mansergh,i.e Siobhan Ambrose.

She's very easy on the eye and has FF pedigree.

I can't see Seamus Healy not getting a seat.

If Mattie votes for the budget,he'll run as FF and might just make it.

No way will FG get two seats,just can't see it

i dont care if FF has Brazilian bikini models running for them. they have ruined this country and dont deserve another vote.
    i live in a small parish and Tom Hayes has lobbied for broadband which is crucial to the likes of our local co-op and perhaps open up ar the greater area to other potential investment. He has also called for the current farce with the water supply to be sorted amongst a lot of other things while at the same time looking after the people who voted him on an individual basis. I think tom would handle a ministerial role the finest. Seamus Healy done a lot of good work before he bizarrely lost his seat.

i dont care if FF has Brazilian bikini models running for them. they have ruined this country and dont deserve another vote.
    i live in a small parish and Tom Hayes has lobbied for broadband which is crucial to the likes of our local co-op and perhaps open up ar the greater area to other potential investment. He has also called for the current farce with the water supply to be sorted amongst a lot of other things while at the same time looking after the people who voted him on an individual basis. I think tom would handle a ministerial role the finest. Seamus Healy done a lot of good work before he bizarrely lost his seat.

I happen to agree with you TG.I was predicting what FF might do if Mattie runs independent.
    I've always been a bit wary of Seamus Healy's politics on the National Question,but I know he does a lot of good work on the ground in Clonmel

He has also called for the current farce with the water supply to be sorted amongst a lot of other things while at the same time looking after the people who voted him on an individual basis.

That's clientelism though. It's parish pump stuff. Now, I don't blame Tom - I blame the system. I will vote for him and the other FG candidate simply because I really want a change of government.

Furet wrote: »
    That's clientelism though. It's parish pump stuff. Now, I don't blame Tom - I blame the system. I will vote for him and the other FG candidate simply because I really want a change of government.

"All politics is local".Tip O'Neill

"All politics is local".Tip O'Neill

Only in a defective system. Our problems are national and must be solved nationally. The Dail should be composed of legislators steeped in national issues. We need to amalgamate the local authorities and give them more power. It should be made law that when a constituent contacts a TD to ask about a medical card or pothole, the TD says, "I'm sorry, I must refer you to the citizen's information office (for the medical card query) or the local authority (for the pothole complaint). Failure to do this is partly why our country is smashed on the rocks right now - unqualified politicians concentrating on local rather than major national issues such as law reform, international affairs, EU policy, financial and economic issues, energy requirements and the like. Until we as an electorate vote with these things in mind, we'll continue to get bad governance.

He is also the deputy spokesperson for transport so he has a lot of influence within the party. He is a front-bencher if they get into government.

i agree to a certain degree what you are saying about parish pump and the likes of biffo and healy rae will retain their seats because the irish people suffer from chronic myopia and cant see the greater issues but i also believe a td has to find the balance between local and national. Sometimes there are greater issues which wont be solved at local level as they have limited resources.

Only in a defective system. Our problems are national and must be solved nationally. The Dail should be composed of legislators steeped in national issues. We need to amalgamate the local authorities and give them more power. It should be made law that when a constituent contacts a TD to ask about a medical card or pothole, the TD says, "I'm sorry, I must refer you to the citizen's information office (for the medical card query) or the local authority (for the pothole complaint). Failure to do this is partly why our country is smashed on the rocks right now - unqualified politicians concentrating on local rather than major national issues such as law reform, international affairs, EU policy, financial and economic issues, energy requirements and the like. Until we as an electorate vote with these things in mind, we'll continue to get bad governance.

At the risk of sidelining the thread,I also agree with you.
    I think the main improvement would be a list sytem to allow a group of TD's to be apponted by the parties themselves based on there vote share.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Redr

Local politics has killed real politics in Ireland. If the worthiest person in Ireland - lets say John Hume - was to run as a FF candidate no-one should vote for him. Yes even he attends your mother's funeral, has a quiet word in the matron's ear for your daughter the nurse who needs a job, will intercede in the row about the tree on council property that is blocking your light, or will use his influence to get you planning permission - aaaaaarrrrrrrgh! This crap has caused the problem!!

One should not vote for FF!!

• Advertisement

I have recently reread "Letter Of A Succesful TD" by JB Keane

Although it was written over forty years ago it still is a completely accurate summary of how politics works in Ireland.

Tull Mc Adoo TD is writing to his daughter..

"As you know,the new housing scheme for Kilnavarna is long overdue and it looks like as if the county wouldn't be able to afford it for many a year.McFillen knows how I can get 25 pre-fabricated houses at 250 a house.That's 6250.
    A pal of his will be importing fifty of them from Europe and I can have 25.I'll probably get a friend of mine here in Dublin to buy them and I can see nothing to prevent me from flogging them to the county for four or maybe five hundred apiece.
    In the name of the sainted mother of God,destroy this letter! Because if wind of this move got out,I was finished...............
    ...However,we are the men who freed this country and are entitled to certain considerations."

Here's where the problem may lie. An unemployed person from South Tipperary may have their local SW office in Kilkenny.

So if they needed a Councillor to canvas on their behalf for lets say BTEA or rent supplement, that office is then outside the Councillor's jurisdiction so the next step is a TD.

SW or HSE are both more or less national bodies and in fairness people need some sort of representation in making a case to these bodies so perhaps these national bodies need to be streamlined into county council areas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭WildOscar

SW or HSE are both more or less national bodies and in fairness people need some sort of representation in making a case to these bodies so perhaps these national bodies need to be streamlined into county council areas.
    nonsense dealt with both never needed a TD or councillor.people should learn to do things for themselves instead of giving away their power to crooks which all politicians are to one degree or another

WildOscar wrote: »
    nonsense dealt with both never needed a TD or councillor.people should learn to do things for themselves instead of giving away their power to crooks which all politicians are to one degree or another

Ah now there is rare occasions. Your only talking from your own experience in fairness. :)

EDIT: i will add that in cases these departments, bodies and authorities are full of faceless jobsworths and gobsh*tes that are drunk on power and you need a representative that knows what make these people tick

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

. Our problems are national and must be solved nationally. The Dail should be composed of legislators steeped in national issues. right now - unqualified politicians concentrating on local rather thanWe need to amalgamate the local authorities and give them more power. It should be made law that when a constituent contacts a TD to ask about a medical card or pothole, the TD says, "I'm sorry, I must refer you to the citizen's information office (for the medical card query) or the local authority (for the pothole complaint). Failure to do this is partly why our country is smashed on the rocks major national issues such as law reform, international affairs, EU policy, financial and economic issues, energy requirements and the like. Until we as an electorate vote with these things in mind, we'll continue to get bad governance.

I couldnt agree more.

Regardless of this unfortuantly the electorate of the entire country wont vote on national issue but rather local issues.

Anyway in south tipp, Hayes and Mcgrath will get back in no bother at all.:rolleyes:

Imho the third, and only seat really up for grabs, is between Seamus Healy(united left/wuag) aka anit-establishment and the clonmel based FGer Michael Murphy. I really cant see Prendergast getting in nor the other FF Ambrose.

Ah now there is rare occasions. Your only talking from your own experience in fairness. :)

EDIT: i will add that in cases these departments, bodies and authorities are full of faceless jobsworths and gobsh*tes that are drunk on power and you need a representative that knows what make these people tick
    yes they are gob****es but i have never needed a td to deal with them

Originally Posted by Furet viewpost.gif
    . It should be made law that when a constituent contacts a TD to ask about a medical card or pothole, the TD says, "I'm sorry, I must refer you to the citizen's information office (for the medical card query) or the local authority (for the pothole complaint).
    td would not want that cos they like to give the impression only they can get you a med card/deal with potholes. did both no td. it is a way of keeping people dependent on them so they will vote them into their over paid jobs.A bit like the gombeen radio presenters who give the impression only they can solve problems

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭JabbaTheHut

Was talking to the brother today, and he reckons Prendergast will never make it cause he reckons she's hated in Clonmel. Now I don't know the woman at all, but if his assessment of her popularity is accurate within reason, it doesn't bode well for her.

I Jaysus really hope that that yes-man Mansergh, doesn't make it. After his total blind defense of Ahern (I refuse to call that traitor by his first name), he's proven he's for party first, county second.

McGrath I could see make it, but donno about him managing it on the FF ticket. Him jumping that sinking ship is a very good possibility.

Tom Hayes *should* make it. A second FG seat would be a hard call though.

I could see Seamus Healy in alright. Even though an Independant probably finds it harder that a party candidate to win.

But it's those Greens..................
    It's Goodbye to them. If they do any better than the PD's in the last election I'd be amazed. They were the lap-dog for this government.

Btw, is there any Shinners going this time?

Was talking to the brother today, and he reckons Prendergast will never make it cause he reckons she's hated in Clonmel. Now I don't know the woman at all, but if his assessment of her popularity is accurate within reason, it doesn't bode well for her.
    I don't thnk she is hated by everyone. healy's followers hate her cos they say she used Healy to get a start in politics and seat on council and then jumped ship as did dopey darren. they say she has a lot of followers but maybe not enough to get a dail seat, not that i would vote for her

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 The Nightwatchman

julyjane wrote: »
    Mattie McGrath is on Tipp FM now and was introduced by Séamus Martin as "Independent TD Mattie McGrath"

His facebook page says he's a Fianna Fáil TD

Phil Prendergast confirmed to run for Labour again, wonder what her chances are. She'll need a massive improvement on 2007, hard to see her being elected but maybe the few years in the Seanad will have improved her popularity?

I'll give her Number One because she's the only one who has actually done anything. While Healy has everyone marching up and down to save our hospital she actually made a feck of Harney over St Michaels and has so far kept it open. Healy is Doctor No. Whatever the question, the answer's no. Ever heard a proposal from this multi-pensioned feeder off discontent? Me neither. SF ditto. The only people who will benefit from left-wing radicalism is the few who get elected. Their voters meanwhile will have even bigger cuts in their dole because no-one would lend to Ireland if these crackpots had any power.

Mattie is trying to get everyone's vote. He won't desert FF because he wants their vote, he only voted against the Government in support of RISE - another vote pitch there. And when I heard him on the Late Debate a few weeks ago his policies were mainly FG with a bit of SF and Labour thrown in. A week later he said he had prepared his own Budget. Mattie didn't publish it though. He'd more sense than show us the product of what he is pleased to call his mind. After Kackie Healy-Rae he is the country's number 1 gombeen politician, he has embarrassed our county and he'll get nothing from me.

Tom Hayes? Heard of him but not actually heard him say anything. The Quiet Man. Mansergh - daft as a brush and not interested in the country only FF.

Advertisement