Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

South Tipp General election thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

What happened ??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Whats this doing here, can it please be moved back to the Tipperary forum

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭cml387

It's quite nice here in the midlands but I preferred where we were.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

This thread was moved from Tipperary to General Elections 2011 and then to Midlands. Moved back to Tipperary so the mods there can decide how to proceed with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Dymo

It would get lost in General Elections, leave it here as it will get some attention here and is relevant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

Tremelo wrote: »
    Not yet... tell me more...
    Heard there was a bit of a scuffle with someone in cashel,dont know if he was a soldier of destiny angry about matties jumping ship or just an irate constiuent .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Interesting to see Richie Molloy join forces with Mattie McGrath. Strange partnership.

Interesting note on McGrath in Cashel. Seems like he's center of attention whenever I hear of him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭DT100

Dymo wrote: »
    Saves him having to put up with all the FF stick he's get at the door step and I think he has a better chance of getting in. He wasn't going to get any vote from me if he was FF, now I'll will give him a vote.

Mattie is well able to run with the hares and hunt with the hounds....If he gets in as an Independant,I wonder what would happen if FF came a courting again.Enda Kenny got a very soft interview on Tipp Fm this morning.He was asked if he was going to take a further cut in wages,he said he would announce the answer to that next week....what a load of codswallop.The polls are suggesting FG will have enough seats to govern alone,but up to now it was FG/Labour government.Enda says we cant tax ourselves out of this recession,but Eamonn Gilmore is of the opinion that its the way to go.How could these parties get together with total different views.I have no great interest of any of the parties to be honest,but I think the Independant vote is a waste....we dont want or need to end up with the likes of Lowery /Healy Rae holding the Government or the Country to randsom.Whichever way it goes,its a long road back.Terrible bad news again on the jobs front in Tipperary town.I havent had any canvassers yet,but am looking forward to having a chat with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

I think It's good that FG and Labour are fighting the Election on there own and not making some kind of pact like they did in previous Elections,of course they have totally different views one is Conservative and the other is Leaning to the Left but don't worry, that will be all forgotten about if one needs the other to form a Government.It didn't bother the Greens in 2007 who once said that going into Government with FF would be like getting into bed with the Devil.The rest is history as they say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

My preference this time round is for an FG overall majority, but it won't happen. Has anyone been canvassed yet? I'm looking forward to meeting several of the candidates.

• Advertisement

They need to be separate parties before the election, becoming a pact before the election will give people the opinion that there ganging up on FF, and it doesn't take much for a FF voter to find a reason for voting for them.

I've met Micheal Murphy on the campaign trail and he seem like a nice chap, interested in supporting business's in south Tipp. All I want this time is change and no party should be in charge for as long as FF were as they become a law on to themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭julyjane

I've only had Murphy at the door so far, being new seems to be working in his favour because people are looking for a change. From what I know of him he is well capable of representing South Tipp but he may not pull in enough votes. A lot of people have the greatest respect for their FG candidates but seem to dislike Enda Kenny

My other half said he saw Seamus Healy in Carrick this week with an entourage of about 30 people, he seems to get a lot of support here

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭allprops

Seems to be a lot more "no canvassers here" signs. Don't understand that myself. I'm looking forward to seeing them.

allprops wrote: »
    Seems to be a lot more "no canvassers here" signs. Don't understand that myself. I'm looking forward to seeing them.

Definitely. I am particularly looking forward to seeing Mattie and Mansergh so that I can tell them what I think of them. Very much would like to meet FG's Murphy, but so far I have seen no candidates anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭JabbaTheHut

I missed Mattie's crew the other day. Came home to see their rubbish stuck in me post box. I was dissapointed I missed them. Wanted to give them some stick for helping us get to where we are now. Don't know if Mattie himself was there.

Looking forward to Manseragh's crew the most. I can't STAND that fella.

Wouldn't mind meeting that Murphy guy. A new face might bring something new to the table

I missed Mattie's crew the other day. Came home to see their rubbish stuck in me post box. I was dissapointed I missed them. Wanted to give them some stick for helping us get to where we are now. Don't know if Mattie himself was there.

Looking forward to Manseragh's crew the most. I can't STAND that fella.

Wouldn't mind meeting that Murphy guy. A new face might bring something new to the table

Pity. Probably sending loyal minions out to do his work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭MinnyMinor

DT100 wrote: »
    .Enda Kenny got a very soft interview on Tipp Fm this morning.He was asked if he was going to take a further cut in wages,he said he would announce the answer to that next week....what a load of codswallop.T.
    the guy who interviewed him does junkets where he teaches politician how to answer his questions

http://www.kadenzaconsultancies.com/Documents/Clonea_Media_Training_Feb2010.pdf

“Local radio and the
    Councillor”
    Speaker Mr. Seamus Martin
    Tipp FM

what a joke

Just as you head out of Cahir towards the M8 junction for Cashel and Dublin, there is a flashing orange mobile sign that says "N24 Clonmel: OPEN". It's occurred to me a few times to re-programme it to read: "Mattie McGrath: Parish Pump Politician".

Tremelo wrote: »
    Just as you head out of Cahir towards the M8 junction for Cashel and Dublin, there is a flashing orange mobile sign that says "N24 Clonmel: OPEN". It's occurred to me a few times to re-programme it to read: "Mattie McGrath: Parish Pump Politician".

Why not? It'll be good for your country, county, self-worth and boost your nationalistic values. Looking forward to seeing his election results. Crashing and burning is the ideal outcome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭DT100

MinnyMinor wrote: »
    the guy who interviewed him does junkets where he teaches politician how to answer his questions

“Local radio and the
    Councillor”
    Tipp FM

what a joke

Total codolgy altogether.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 aggresso

“Local radio and the
    Councillor”
    Tipp FM

what a joke

Bryan Dobson does exactly that for Mary Coughlan on air!

I'm looking for the link.

aggresso wrote: »
    Bryan Dobson does exactly that for Mary Coughlan on air!

I'm looking for the link.
    that does not make it right and it is not the same as speaking at junkets nad then interviewing the people you teach

• Registered Users Posts: 44 aggresso

that does not make it right and it is not the same as speaking at junkets nad then interviewing the people you teach

Indeed not.

But it would appear that such behaviour and relationships are considered more than acceptable.

I would very much doubt that the main beneficiaries of same are likely to be any one of the opposition parties.

aggresso wrote: »
    Indeed not.

But it would appear that such behaviour and relationships are considered more than acceptable.

I would very much doubt that the main beneficiaries of same are likely to be any one of the opposition parties.
    whether it happens on air with dobson i do not know but there is a difference between what happens on tv and a so called objective journalist giving training to politicians. On air people can see and decide. How many voters know about these tipp fm /kadenza junkets

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/four-firms-with-council-links-organise-50pc-of-conferences-2281792.html mentions kadenza which run the junket given by tipp fm 'journalist' there is a conflict of interest in it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭touts

whether it happens on air with dobson i do not know but there is a difference between what happens on tv and a so called objective journalist giving training to politicians. On air people can see and decide. How many voters know about these tipp fm /kadenza junkets

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/four-firms-with-council-links-organise-50pc-of-conferences-2281792.html mentions kadenza which run the junket given by tipp fm 'journalist' there is a conflict of interest in it

Terry Prone has been on every media station giving her fair and unbiased opinion as to why Enda Kenny was right not to attend the debate. But when Pat Kenny asked her if she had a conflict of interest she immediately answered that yes she had been hired by Fine Gael and was happy to admit that she would spin professionally for anyone who would pay her. She was not asked that on any other TV or radio discussion I saw so she did not volunteer the information.

The lesson is you can blindly assume that the journalist/expert you are listening to is completely neutral and unbiased but you can also blindly believe in Santa and the tooth fairy. Most media analysts have sidelines in PR and such and therefore are riddled with conflict of interests.

touts wrote: »
    Terry Prone has been on every media station giving her fair and unbiased opinion as to why Enda Kenny was right not to attend the debate. But when Pat Kenny asked her if she had a conflict of interest she immediately answered that yes she had been hired by Fine Gael and was happy to admit that she would spin professionally for anyone who would pay her. She was not asked that on any other TV or radio discussion I saw so she did not volunteer the information.

The lesson is you can blindly assume that the journalist/expert you are listening to is completely neutral and unbiased but you can also blindly believe in Santa and the tooth fairy. Most media analysts have sidelines in PR and such and therefore are riddled with conflict of interests.
    at least she declared it
    Most media analysts have sidelines in PR and such and therefore are riddled with conflict of interests
    that does not make it right

• Registered Users Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭touts

at least she declared it
    that does not make it right

Only when asked. She was on TV3, Today FM and Newstalk and never volunteered the information. My point is there is little to be gained from crucifying one local media personality for a conflict of interest when it is common place in the National Media from station owners all the way down to freelance "experts". The only way around it is to treat all interviews with a healthy pinch of paranoia.

Only when asked. She was on TV3, Today FM and Newstalk and never volunteered the information. My point is there is little to be gained from crucifying one local media personality for a conflict of interest when it is common place in the National Media from station owners all the way down to freelance "experts". The only way around it is to treat all interviews with a healthy pinch of paranoia.
    he would be quick to crucify anyone else. as for terry prone i would not pay any attention to anything she would say

She was asked after the leader's debates on TV3 last Tuesday if she had coached either Martin or Gilmore, which she said she hadn't but never declared her coaching of Fine Gael members.

I wonder does Mattie McGrath get coaching?

• Advertisement

Dymo wrote: »
    She was asked after the leader's debates on TV3 last Tuesday if she had coached either Martin or Gilmore, which she said she hadn't but never declared her coaching of Fine Gael members.

I wonder does Mattie McGrath get coaching?
    from gombeen.com

Advertisement