Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

South Tipp General election thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭DT100

julyjane wrote: »
    Please let Murphy get the 3rd seat!

I would be hoping that too..but Mansergh's transfers will help him:mad:

Senator Phil Prendergast eliminated in Tipp South 2nd Count

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭julyjane

Seamus Healy elected on the 3rd count :D
    The 4th count will distribute his surplus of 924 votes

Looking like Mattie McGrath to take the 3rd seat

http://www.nationalist.ie/news/general-election-2011/general-election-live

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Result of the third count, the distribution of Phil Prendergast's votes.
    Hayes +972 to 10186
    Healy +1723 to 11265
    Mansergh +277 to 5865
    McGrath +729 to 7078
    Murphy +841 to 6404

Healy has been deemed elected.
    Count four will now be the distribution of Healy's surplus of 924 votes.

Manseragh eliminated next

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭JabbaTheHut

Now that Mansergh is gone, it's hard to see Michael Murphy win the seat ahead of McGrath, since he was a FF man, and Manserghs' transfers will surely go to him.

Healy
    Hayes
    McGrath

Confirmed

Two independents in south Tipp is a bit of a disaster for getting anything done, I'm sure they'll work hard but they will have very little power.

Mattie has it!

What a great fight for Murphy, next time round he should sail in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭JabbaTheHut

Ah well. That's what we got now. Just hope it's going to be workable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Mattie got in:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭UpTheSlashers

McGrath elected, I have lost a lot of faith for my fellow South Tipperary people. 6,074 people should be ashamed of themselves. At least hell be sitting right at the back on the wrong side of the Dáil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

The Kilinascully Contingent, buffoons themselves, have returned a buffoon to the Dáil in Mattie McGrath. The best man did not win the final seat.

Phil Prendergast eliminated :eek:

The distribution of those votes should stir things up a bit!

Shocked with Phil getting eliminated as she might have been good in the cabinet as a health minister i feel with her years of experience as a midwife. She seen from the inside the farce that is the HSE and needless to say she would have been better then Mattie. i think Healy's votes didn't transfer to her to be honest.

Feel bad for Michael Murphy too who was out canvassing the day after the Dail was dissolved and ran a good campaign.

Two good politicians didn't get a chance because some gombeen's in this constituency want a politician like Mcgrath who is living in the 1960's. On the other hand Mansergh gone. :)
    Vizzy wrote: »
    Agreed,the only candidate that I met at the door was Mattie and he won't get my vote but fair play to him for calling.
    The closest after that was a canvasser for "The Gimp" who arrived when it was pouring rain.When I asked a few questions/quizzed her she replied "maybe you would prefer to talk to Martin,he's out in the car"
    Nuff said !!!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

i was telling a guy tonight who is a former Fianna Fail cllr your story above, and even he burst out laughing and couldn't believe Mansergh couldnt be bothered his arse getting out of the car

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭MinnyMinor

Shocked with Phil getting eliminated ...... i think Healy's votes didn't transfer to her to be honest
    why would the when she used healy to get a start and then abandoned him.

Two good politicians didn't get a chance because some gombeen's in this constituency want a politician like Mcgrath who is living in the 1960's. On the other hand Mansergh gone. :)
    don't like mattie in but glad prendergast is not

MinnyMinor wrote: »
    why would the when she used healy to get a start and then abandoned him.

don't like mattie in but glad prendergast is not

Also true but i would prefer her to Mattie and Mansergh if push came to shove.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 murray sparkle

I'm absolutely devastated by the result in our constituency. We have elected two useless TD's and a man who seems to aspire to be a backbencher.

Let me put this into perspective for you - Carlow/Kilkenny elected three FG candidates, Wexford elected two, Waterford elected two FG candidates.

When they come to close down a hospital in the very near future because there's not enough money to run them all - which one do you think will close? Seamus Healy can have all the bloody marches through town that he likes and he won't be able to save it. What will Mattie do? Will he withdraw his support for the government? No! because they neither want him nor need him.

This area has been forgotten by Fianna Fail governments for years. we had a chance to send a new dynamic TD to the Dail to represent South Tipp and especially Clonmel - Michael Murphy put his heart and soul into this campaign. He has been an excellent Cllr since getting elected. He is visible and he gets things done. Contrast that to the Mayor of Clonmel - also an elected County AND Borough Councillor. She's useless.

You might say that the people have spoken - of course they have. It just goes to show what a lot of the people in the constituency are like.

If we had elected Phil Prendergast we would have had a very good chance of having a government TD. If we had elected 2 FG and 1 Lab we'd have had a great chance of getting stuff. But no - from now on we might as well be on Inisboffin for all the support we'll get from the government.

Also, who in their right mind voted for Mansergh. 5400 people gave him a number one. HAVE THEY NOT SEEN THE DEVESTATION THAT FF HAVE BROUGHT TO THIS COUNTRY?

It's mind boggling.

Seamus Healy's crowd of lay abouts, Mattie and the gombeens and Tom.

Thanks a bunch.

I'm emigrating.

If we had elected Phil Prendergast we would have had a very good chance of having a government TD. .
    hayes is a govt TD. Prendergast is no more likely than healy tokeep the hosp. mattie just goes wherever mattie will be looked after, he is now talking of making deals with fg and prob left ff to protect himself and have it both ways. gombeen like lowry and heal;y raes

mansergh is a muppet agree 5,000 people are delusional to vote for him

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭clansman

Whoever voted for Mattie McGrath and Séamus Healy are worse than the people who voted for Mansergh. A vote for an independent is a wasted vote as they will not be in power, therefore they will have no "pull" no say and will get fu(k all done. What can an independent do in opposition? They will left out in the cold.

We have only “one TD”... so it is safe to say that south Tipp is done for...
    If we had elected Phil Prendergast we would have had a very good chance of having a government TD. If we had elected 2 FG and 1 Lab we'd have had a great chance of getting stuff. But no - from now on we might as well be on Inisboffin for all the support we'll get from the government.

murray sparkle is right we should have voted for FGx2 and 1 Lab. We would have a strong constituency. We have nothing now.

And for anyone who thinks that mattie will get the job done. Well good luck with that!!!

clansman wrote: »
    Whoever voted for Mattie McGrath and Séamus Healy are worse than the people who voted for Mansergh. A vote for an independent is a wasted vote as they will not be in power, therefore they will have no "pull" no say and will get fu(k all done. What can an independent do in opposition? They will left out in the cold.

We have only “one TD”... so it is safe to say that south Tipp is done for...

murray sparkle is right we should have voted for FGx2 and 1 Lab. We would have a strong constituency. We have nothing now.

And for anyone who thinks that mattie will get the job done. Well good luck with that!!!
    don't agree that healy is useless. if so why poll so high

any way prendergast is going europe, not far enough imo

Also true but i would prefer her to Mattie and Mansergh if push came to shove.
    i would prefer the FG guy to either and i am not FG. Mattie is a me feiner and she is not to be trusted

• Advertisement

Michael Murphy put his heart and soul into this campaign. He has been an excellent Cllr since getting elected. He is visible and he gets things done. Contrast that to the Mayor of Clonmel - also an elected County AND Borough Councillor. She's useless.

What exactly has he done? I'm not being smart it's a genuine question I'm not from the Clonmel area but FWIW I gave him my number one vote because I know him personally and believed in him and still do, he would have made a great impact in the Dáil and hopefully will in the future

Labour's Phil Prendergast is to replace Alan Kelly as an MEP for Ireland South.
    A nice soft landing for Phil.The people of south Tipp didnt want her in the Dáil,but because of the way things work in the political system she is representing us in Europe.A lot of people are under the impression that some of the recent cuts are going to be reversed under the new government,I wouldnt hold me breath.

Anyone hear Martin Mansergh on Morning Ireland? I honestly think the man is not well. I listened to it again just now in case I'd been half asleep this morning

Fianna Fáil are going to regroup and save us all, not in the interests of FF but for the people of Ireland. Fianna Fáil are going to be our knights in shining armour and rescue us all from the government we have democratically elected

http://www.rte.ie/news/morningireland/player.html?20110228,2914789,2914804,flash,257

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Anyone hear Martin Mansergh on Morning Ireland? I honestly think the man is not well. I listened to it again just now in case I'd been half asleep this morning

Fianna Fáil are going to regroup and save us all, not in the interests of FF but for the people of Ireland. Fianna Fáil are going to be our knights in shining armour and rescue us all from the government we have democratically elected

http://www.rte.ie/news/morningireland/player.html?20110228,2914789,2914804,flash,257
    His defeat in the election has made him delusional, :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭andrewdeerpark

Martin Mansergh helped secure the millions for the flood relief schemes around Clonmel. Give him some credit.

As for Michael Murphy employed by the Ronan empire, Enfer:

It is well known around Tipperary that the county board has had serious issues getting its full allocation of sponsorship money from Enfer which side is right I do not know. Also the county referees were left without a supposed promised payment from Enfer.

So here is an Enfer executive running for the dail in Tipperary while the company he is working for is in dispute with the Tipperary GAA county board on an all Ireland winning year for the county. Give me a break I cannot believe he got 5000 votes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Vizzy

Martin Mansergh helped secure the millions for the flood relief schemes around Clonmel. Give him some credit.

It is well known around Tipperary that the county board has had serious issues getting its full allocation of sponsorship money from Enfer which side is right I do not know. Also the county referees were left without a supposed promised payment from Enfer.

So here is an Enfer executive running for the dail in Tipperary while the company he is working for is in dispute with the Tipperary GAA county board on an all Ireland winning year for the county. Give me a break I cannot believe he got 5000 votes.

Ironically it was Martin Cullen that first secured the money for the flood relief scheme in Clonmel (as well as other towns).
    Even if Manseragh did send money Clonmel's way,it was his job.It wasn't as if it didn't deserve it.
    I presume that you wouldn't be lauding Phil Prendergast because she delivered a baby !!
    As for Murphy,I'm not so sure he is as much of an "executive" as he leads us to believe so I'm not sure he would have much say in whether Enfer would or would't pay money to the GAA.
    Overall I would think that South Tipp is rightly f****d after this election given that we have we now have one FG( who may make a difference),and an Independent and a Gombeen who definitely will make no difference whatsoever given their previous experience in the Dail and the fact that they are now "surplus to requirements"

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭andrewdeerpark

Mansergh followed through with the works from his time as minister of the OPW.

None of the 3 TD's in Tipp are anything exciting however is Mattie any worse than Healy the looney left candidate?

I have said all that's required about Murphy, Hayes is not much better, he reminds me of Noel Davern when he was TD for the area, the essence of under the radar safe seat politics.

Only if Labour cannot cut a deal, will the independents have any say and if that happens expect Mattie to be more of a deal maker than the looney left alliance of Healy & Co.

You are correct if labour and FG can cut a deal to say that the independents will be sidelined.

what has the GAA to do with election?

Vizzy wrote: »
    I presume that you wouldn't be lauding Phil Prendergast because she delivered a baby !!
    about the only thing she could deliver
    As for Murphy,I'm not so sure he is as much of an "executive" as he leads us to believe
    thought he had a shop/business in clonmel?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Vizzy

Agreed.
    Although I would say that at least with Healy you are getting exactly what you see.I don't agree with his politics but I know for a fact that he prides himself on his word.
    As for Mattie,he would go in to alliance with next doors cat if he thought that it would further his cause( as against the cause for South Tipp)
    All in all I would say we shouldn't hold or breath for any big announcements for South Tipp,pity.

Advertisement