Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

South Tipp General election thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭MinnyMinor

Vizzy wrote: »
    As for Mattie,he would go in to alliance with next doors cat if he thought that it would further his cause( as against the cause for South Tipp)
    mattie is a standard by which me feiners are judged

than the looney left alliance of Healy & Co.
    i am curious as to your issue with healy. i am not defending him just curious

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭andrewdeerpark

MinnyMinor wrote: »
    what has the GAA to do with election?

Tipperary the home of hurling. Jack Lynch former Taoiseach, John O'Mahoney elected for FG this time, Sean Kelly (former GAA president) FG Munster Euro MEP...etc etc...

The GAA and politics in Ireland mix I rest my case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

what has the GAA to do with election?

Good question. The GAA has nothing to do with the election. Thankfully, not everyone is a Gah head.

i am curious as to your issue with healy. i am not defending him just curious

I have nothing personally wrong with the man, however he is the best citizen advice centre in Clonmel and gets people a free bin, medical card, etc that's not going to solve the national issues. Plus unlike Mattie he already has completed a 4 year+ dail term so has previously qualified for a full Dail pension, Mattie does not have this in the bag for himself yet; the last dail only lasting 3 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Vizzy

Tipperary the home of hurling. Jack Lynch former Taoiseach, John O'Mahoney elected for FG this time, Sean Kelly (former GAA president) FG Munster Euro MEP...etc etc...

Mansergh needs to take up hurling so!! :):):)

mattie is a standard by which me feiners are judged

As I said Mattie does not have the TD pension in the bag yet like Healy. Dail has to survive 4 years to qualify.

nonsense.

Mansergh needs to take up hurling so!! :):):)

Has plenty of time on his hands now...

I have nothing personally wrong with the man, however he is the best citizen advice centre in Clonmel and gets people a free bin, medical card, etc that's not going to solve the national issues. Plus unlike Mattie he already has completed a 4 year+ dail term so has previously qualified for a full Dail pension, Mattie does not have this in the bag for himself yet; the last dail only lasting 3 years.
    anyone who is entitled to a bin or medical card does not need a td to get it.

• Advertisement

nonsense.

How many former soccer players or rugby players enter politics V's GAA players; hardly any.

The GAA is a political breeding ground unlike other sports in Ireland and the numbers back me up.

As I said Mattie does not have the TD pension in the bag yet like Healy. Dail has to survive 4 years to qualify.
    irrelevant to the fact that mattie is a me feiner and always looks after mattie. he prob left ff cos he saw the writing on the wall and wanted to be in a position to go back to ff if they did well or as he is now deal with Fg or Independents

anyone who is entitled to a bin or medical card does not need a td to get it.

Why are people voting for him so; he is hardly a national visionary.

irrelevant to the fact that mattie is a me feiner and always looks after mattie. he prob left ff cos he saw the writing on the wall and wanted to be in a position to go back to ff if they did well or as he is now deal with Fg or Independents

They are all me feiners its just that Mattie makes it obvious. Of all the elected TD Mattie is still the one that has not secured his golden TD nest egg; including the leftie Healy.

PS Is he (Mattie) any different than that other Tipp man Lowry?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Vizzy

Again agreed but Mattie has written the book on parish pump politics.
    See last weeks paper,he was even checking out and giving advice to the elderly on the workings of their panic alarm,laughable.
    I mean really, can you see a politician in any other civilised country at that craic.
    This is the heart of the problem, national politicians looking after local issues and getting voted in again and again.

Why are people voting for him so; he is hardly a national visionary.
    you really think people vote for him cos he got med card for them.he has not the power to get a card for anyone who is not entitled.
    mattie is no national visionary either, parish pump gombeen

Again agreed but Mattie has written the book on parish pump politics.
    See last weeks paper,he was even checking out and giving advice to the elderly on the workings of their panic alarm,laughable.
    I mean really, can you see a politician in any other civilised country at that craic.
    This is the heart of the problem, national politicians looking after local issues and getting voted in again and again.
    total gommbeen

mattie is no national visionary either, parish pump gombeen

Agree I am not defending Mattie I just cannot understand how Healy is any better.

They are all me feiners its just that Mattie makes it obvious. Of all the elected TD Mattie is still the one that has not secured his golden TD nest egg; including the leftie Healy.

PS Is he (Mattie) any different than that other Tipp man Lowry?
    no another gombeen me feiner.but being like lowry does not make him right you seem to be a mattie fan and healy hater

Agree I am not defending Mattie I just cannot understand how Healy is any better.
    and i do not see how mattie is any better than healy. they both play the- i -can- get- you- a- med -card scam

• Advertisement

no another gombeen me feiner.but being like lowry does not make him right you seem to be a mattie fan and healy hater

I don't hate any of them I just think the pick of candidates in Tipp South was desperate from all parties and independents, its just that Mattie is singled out (to be fair he draws it on himself with his Healy Rae type persona) ahead of others for critism.

They all spend too much time at the making reps for people and giving the impression the people can not do it themselves. i would never ask a td to do anything for me since there is nothing they can do that i cannot. just teaching people to be dependent on them like the other great politicians...the church

I don't hate any of them I just think the pick of candidates in Tipp South was desperate from all parties and independents, its just that Mattie is singled out (to be fair he draws it on himself with his Healy Rae type persona) ahead of others for critism.
    that is why he is singled out plays to the gallery

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Reginald P. DuM

I have a proposal now that the election is over, will run it past the mods here.. A thread should be started to discuss the performance of our 3 elected officials.. It could make for an interesting exercise assuming people actually care about politics post election fever.. It may well die a death but as long as it didnt descend into mere mud slinging and actually discussed what they have achieved to deserve the nod from the electorate, it maybe worthwhile. Though going on that achievement criteria it may well be a short thread! Me and my mud slinging!! Anyone care to comment?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭julyjane

Martin Mansergh helped secure the millions for the flood relief schemes around Clonmel. Give him some credit.

What took him so long? Carrick On Suir (a much smaller town and on the fringes of the constituency) got very successful flood alleviation works in 2001

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

I have a proposal now that the election is over, will run it past the mods here.. A thread should be started to discuss the performance of our 3 elected officials.. It could make for an interesting exercise assuming people actually care about politics post election fever.. It may well die a death but as long as it didnt descend into mere mud slinging and actually discussed what they have achieved to deserve the nod from the electorate, it maybe worthwhile. Though going on that achievement criteria it may well be a short thread! Me and my mud slinging!! Anyone care to comment?

Sounds like a good idea to me. Prob best to PM the mods about it first though to get the all clear.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,892 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

You can start the thread if you like, but keep this in mind:

If any poster reduces the new thread to the rubbish I've seen in the last few weeks ("gombeen", "crook", "fool", etc) they will be punished strictly and the thread could be locked. That kind of pettiness is childish and adds nothing of value to a proper political discussion.

I'll put a similar warning in the thread whenever you get around to starting it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 molly2007

reading your comments I have to say honestly open your eyes
    Phil Prendergast has an office in Clonmel, it's never open, she's never there, the office is only open a wet week, she missed more votes in the Seanad over her time as a Senator it's appalling she even gets paid. It's a shame she didn't knock on my door because my taxes are paying her wage and she couldn't be bothered to even attend her place of work and do her job.
    Tom Hayes the most arrogant man in politics. He had the cheek to walk around the hospital canvassing and even said to staff, that a certain doctor was voting for him and that might sway them to give him their no. 1 too, I mean come on, people have brains. Tom Hayes is only around when there's a photo op otherwise he's nowhere to be seen. Again he didn't canvass my door.
    Michael Murphy is in dream land. I sat beside him at several meetings and he had the cheek to walk in after a few meetings and complain no one had made him aware of different things that were discussed in his presence. It's all for show.
    Martin Mansergh believes it is his birth right to lead the people, he really did a good job of that didn't he, even accepting the petition from HIS constituants and stating he would not vote against the government to keep the hospital open.
    Mattie McGrath is a hard working man, getting more air play for kissing chickens than actually putting his foot to the floor and voting in the Dáil, electronic votes don't count, only walking through the lobby does but Mattie abstained in order to save face even after he was expelled from the parliamentry party of Fianna Fail.
    Phil Prendergast makes my blood boil the most though, seriously, this women used the public, got elected on one card, switched parties, was handed a Senate Seat by an agreement between Labour and Sinn Fein, then gave her husband her seats until the Labour party kicked up and he had no choice but to give up the seats. Even though she has fought several elections she has never won the public vote. She only got elected initially because the public support for Seamus Healy ensured support to her due to her being a "WUAG" Party member. She leaves the WUAG and then joins Labour, fails to get elected a TD, gets handed the Senate Seat, disappears into the fog, only coming back online when there's another election and has the cheek to think people will vote for her. Now she's being handed an MEP seat. If the people of South Tipperary don't think she's good enough to represent them in the Dáil, why would she be good enough to represent Munster in Europe.
    Good Riddance to her anyways, may all those that use us to get elected and do no work for the people in South Tipperary move to Brussels with her!

molly2007 wrote: »
    reading your comments I have to say honestly open your eyes
    Phil Prendergast has an office in Clonmel, it's never open, she's never there, the office is only open a wet week, she missed more votes in the Seanad over her time as a Senator it's appalling she even gets paid. It's a shame she didn't knock on my door because my taxes are paying her wage and she couldn't be bothered to even attend her place of work and do her job.
    Tom Hayes the most arrogant man in politics. He had the cheek to walk around the hospital canvassing and even said to staff, that a certain doctor was voting for him and that might sway them to give him their no. 1 too, I mean come on, people have brains. Tom Hayes is only around when there's a photo op otherwise he's nowhere to be seen. Again he didn't canvass my door.
    Michael Murphy is in dream land. I sat beside him at several meetings and he had the cheek to walk in after a few meetings and complain no one had made him aware of different things that were discussed in his presence. It's all for show.
    Martin Mansergh believes it is his birth right to lead the people, he really did a good job of that didn't he, even accepting the petition from HIS constituants and stating he would not vote against the government to keep the hospital open.
    Mattie McGrath is a hard working man, getting more air play for kissing chickens than actually putting his foot to the floor and voting in the Dáil, electronic votes don't count, only walking through the lobby does but Mattie abstained in order to save face even after he was expelled from the parliamentry party of Fianna Fail.
    Phil Prendergast makes my blood boil the most though, seriously, this women used the public, got elected on one card, switched parties, was handed a Senate Seat by an agreement between Labour and Sinn Fein, then gave her husband her seats until the Labour party kicked up and he had no choice but to give up the seats. Even though she has fought several elections she has never won the public vote. She only got elected initially because the public support for Seamus Healy ensured support to her due to her being a "WUAG" Party member. She leaves the WUAG and then joins Labour, fails to get elected a TD, gets handed the Senate Seat, disappears into the fog, only coming back online when there's another election and has the cheek to think people will vote for her. Now she's being handed an MEP seat. If the people of South Tipperary don't think she's good enough to represent them in the Dáil, why would she be good enough to represent Munster in Europe.
    Good Riddance to her anyways, may all those that use us to get elected and do no work for the people in South Tipperary move to Brussels with her!
    agree 100% re prendergast waste of space and not to be trusted used wuag
    What meeting did you sit beside murphy at

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭julyjane

Technically Phil Prendergast wasn't handed the MEPs seat, it was part of Alan Kellys election to the European parliament that an alternative person be named. That was Phil Prendergast and it was known before he was voted to the post in Europe, although I have no doubt she was named as his successor with election 2011/2012 in mind.

Advertisement