Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Campag/Shimano

• 25-11-2010 10:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭

Lo All,
    I'm thinking of upgrading the groupset on my road bike instead of just changing the bike. I have a Spec Allez 16 with the Shimano 2300 groupset on it and I want to go 10sp but I want to keep my frame as it fits very well and I really like it.

Anyhow I was looking at either getting the new Shimano 105 groupset or else the new Campag Centaur groupset. Both are just about at the limit of my budget.

Can anyone recommend one over the other or give me an idea of the pros and cons of each??

Thanks in advance

Eoin

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

enoonan wrote: »
    Both are just about at the limit of my budget...
    does this help at all, or this?

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭enoonan

Thanks Pete.
    I have read both but I am looking for a bit of insider info from people that might have been using either as to reliability, issues etc.

Thanks again though

Eoin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭Single Malt

If the budget stretches I would go Centaur, but the 105 id c. €470, while centaur is upwards of €600 for the UltraTorque version. I have no idea of the price of the powertorque (2011) version, except that its cheaper due to easier manufacturing processes. That said I am not a fan of the powertorque from a technical view. I have used a 2010 Centaur group since Feb. with absolutely no issues.

On a technical note regards the 105 and other Shimano levers that use the hidden cable routing; The hand force required to pull the cable is significantly higher that previous Sti versions, which is my reason for ditching Shimano. There seems to be excessive friction in the area where the wire enters the outer casing at the lever. This is somewhat reduced by the completely overpriced (€13ish) ptfe coated inner wires. If you want Shimano, I would recommend seeing if someplace still has 5600 (the old) 105, or 6600 (old Ultegra), and they may go at a good price. The shifting is smoother IMO, but the newer look better.

Centaur has smashing looks (the carbon version), and long term performance is better if you ask me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭The Bad Pawn

I've had good experiences with Shimano

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭enoonan

Thanks guys for the info and advice.

I had heard that the 5700 105 was not as smooth a shift as the 5600 version.

Will have to think about it a bit longer and see.

Thanks again

Eoin

• Advertisement
Advertisement