Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Today FM News

• 25-11-2010 11:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,968 ✭✭✭✭

I was cycling home listening to the Last Word this evening and the news headlines came on, at the end of it the newsreader goes "And finally for now Cheryl Cole has recieved her sixth tattoo, its believed to be located on her lower back..." and it went on for ages, it described all her previous tatoos and what they looked like, my jaw was hanging open listening to it, it got more time than the dead miners in NZ, truly disgusting :mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Shane10

really? who the fck gives a sh1te about this silly cow.im sick of looking at this woman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭RadioRetro

Probably their mandatory showbiz item to connect wid da kids, what with them being a mainly music station and all.

Not appropriate during a talk show and especially the Last Word. If Eammo Dummy had still been presenting I'll wager we'd have heard his opinion on that story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 640 ✭✭✭real rocker

I guess you could say that both paper and celeb skins never refused ink. Having said that the only tattoo that merits news is the Military Tattoo display in Edinburgh. Maybe conscriptions is the answer for all other versions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭NickDrake

Women newsreaders? Wouldn't expect anything else really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

NickDrake wrote: »
    Women newsreaders? Wouldn't expect anything else really

Seriously???

The majority of radio newsreaders in Ireland are women. What's your issue with them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Look. Imagine you're a news editor with a story list that's full of doom n gloom. You could send a few reporters out to dig up some light-hearted tosh about the one-eyed cat from Ballygobackwards that saved the life of its pensioner owner, taking them away from the newsroom, taking them away from covering Gloomgate and adding to your expenses... or you could read out a piece that has been thoughtfully supplied by Simon Cowell's X Factor machine.
    Seriously, what would you do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 H1ppy

Look. Imagine you're a news editor with a story list that's full of doom n gloom. You could send a few reporters out to dig up some light-hearted tosh about the one-eyed cat from Ballygobackwards that saved the life of its pensioner owner, taking them away from the newsroom, taking them away from covering Gloomgate and adding to your expenses... or you could read out a piece that has been thoughtfully supplied by Simon Cowell's X Factor machine.

True dat.

And I doubt the majority of newsreaders have the hugest say in what they actually get to read at the end of the day, there are other agendas at work, and too many media heads these days are coming out of media courses and not journalism ones. Some newsreaders I'm sure are actually journalists at heart, but some will be presenters-in-training. So to blame the newsreader for the content isn't such a sure thing.

I blame the journalistic and broadcasting culture that has arisen in the last couple of decades that seems to value performance credentials over journalistic ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 858 ✭✭✭goingpostal

Ahh, churnalism. Nothing like it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭hiscan

I notice that about most Today FM news bulletins that they always finish with a story like that,the reason it goes on so long is the DJ always gives his tuppence worth after.You get this mostly on the Ian Dempsey Breakfast Show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

hiscan wrote: »
    I notice that about most Today FM news bulletins that they always finish with a story like that,the reason it goes on so long is the DJ always gives his tuppence worth after.You get this mostly on the Ian Dempsey Breakfast Show.

This is true and I always found myself embarrassed by it. Generally, it's a perfectly good and professional reading of the news followed up by a completely childish bargain-bucket story. I also generally switched the station for the preceding "showbiz news" bit.

• Advertisement
Advertisement