Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bill phone contract lengths

Options
  • 25-11-2010 11:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭

I asked this in the Desire HD thread but is more of a general question.

Im considering taking my first bill phone plan and have the option of a 12month contract at 30euro pm or an 18month contract at 25pm.

What do i have to lose by going with the 18month contract? I know im tied into contract for longer....but so what? Whats the downfall of this?

If i opt for the 12month contract isnt it most likely that i'll just continue on with that contract anyway and end up staying on past the 18months, but i'll be paying 30pm instead of 25pm? Or am i missing something?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,084 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Being on a 12 month contract means you'll get an upgrade every 12 months, being on an 18 month contract means you'll get an upgrade every 18 months (not all companies stick to this and require you to have a minimum spend as well). So you get a subsidised phone sooner and more regularly on the 12 month contract. Also, if you don't choose to upgrade or sign up for another contract then you are free to leave whenever you want. You will reach this sooner on the 12 month contract (obviously) so you have freedom to move sooner.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,234 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Being on a 12 month contract means you'll get an upgrade every 12 months, being on an 18 month contract means you'll get an upgrade every 18 months .

Upgrade after 10mts and 16mts on 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

Am considering Meteor sim only smart lite myself since its contractless (they call it 1 month rolling contract) but it appears you can halt it any time you want.

- the draw back is that its sim only so your not getting the advantage of a provider subsiding the phone or providing an upgrade later.

But since Meteor don't do the iphone, sim only is the only way to use them

Might be one to consider if contract length is a concern

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭bd250110

Before taking a contract you need to consider what it is you are paying for.

1) How many minutes and texts do you actually use per month. It is worth looking at old bills to find out, or working out from used credit if you are PAYG. There is no use in having a "cheap" contract with small amounts of minutes/text/data if you use more than the included minutes. I can't emphasis enough the importance of this step, matching your tariff and usage as closely as possible will save you a lot of money.

12 months @ €30 = 360 + phone cost
    18 months @ €25 = 450 + phone cost

So, is the phone over a hundred quid cheaper on the 18 month? If not I would go with the 12 month. The tariffs seem very cheap for this type of phone, on short contracts. Is there any data included? Android/iPhone are very heavy on data and will rack up huge bills, even with light usage as they are "always on".
    Hope this is of help to you.

Brian.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

bd250110 wrote: »
    Before taking a contract you need to consider what it is you are paying for.

1) How many minutes and texts do you actually use per month. It is worth looking at old bills to find out, or working out from used credit if you are PAYG. There is no use in having a "cheap" contract with small amounts of minutes/text/data if you use more than the included minutes. I can't emphasis enough the importance of this step, matching your tariff and usage as closely as possible will save you a lot of money.

12 months @ €30 = 360 + phone cost
    18 months @ €25 = 450 + phone cost

So, is the phone over a hundred quid cheaper on the 18 month? If not I would go with the 12 month. The tariffs seem very cheap for this type of phone, on short contracts. Is there any data included? Android/iPhone are very heavy on data and will rack up huge bills, even with light usage as they are "always on".
    Hope this is of help to you.

Brian.

Cheers for that.

yep the plan ill be getting includes a data pack of 1gb.
    I went through my online statement with O2 and noticed i send about 300 texts per month. my plan includes free meteor texts so that should save me a fair whack. Also, when i get to my limit ill just send my online texts through cabbage or an ap like that. Should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭bd250110

That all sounds good, once the plan is suited to you that's the main thing. Android is a great platform. Only downside is that you will need to charge the phone very night, but most smart phones are the same. Once you get used to a smartphone, you'd never go back!

Keep an eye on the bills, just in case usage changes, or is more than you thought. The networks mainly make money from this, those 1800 type numbers and roaming. These are three things I try to avoid like the plague! Best of luck!

Advertisement