Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New 24" Monitor, which brand?

• 26-11-2010 12:13am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭

I'm getting myself a second monitor for my PC. I already have a 24" LG Monitor from about 2 years ago which still works fine and an older Dell 19" VGA monitor that I'm looking to replace. I want to get another 24" so hopefully I can buy a third 24" in future and make the most of ATi's Eyefinity feature.

My only problem is that I don't know which one to get. I had originally considered one of the fancier Dells but really, this is only going to be a secondary monitor, not my main screen so I'm really only going to need a basic enough and fairly cheap one.

It seems like 1920x1080 is becoming the standard resolution for this size of screen so I'd probably prefer to stick with that and if possible, HDMI input. I'm not sure of what brand would be more reliable though out of the ones I've seen, namely BenQ, Samsung and Iiyama and it seems a bit difficult to find reviews for individual displays.

Here is a quick round up of the screens I have been looking at:

Komplett- BenQ G2420HD
    Scan - Iiyama E2472HDS
    Overclockers - Iiyama E2472HD
    Overclockers - Iiyama B2409HDS
    Overclockers - Iiyama E2407HDS

They're all around the £160-180 price point, but are there an that I should just cross off the list altogether?

Also, the shops could be a factor. I'll probably buy a few things while I'm at it so if anyone can recommend or warn me about any of the above the please do so :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Iv read some shocking reviews on the Samsung 2450h despite it being amazons most popular monitor.

I just ordered the Asus VH242h. Should be here Monday so ill let you know what i think. Got a good deal on HWVS

• Registered Users Posts: 7 eF. Godlike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 296 ✭✭Dey were Sooted

Hogzy wrote: »
    Iv read some shocking reviews on the Samsung 2450h despite it being amazons most popular monitor.

I just ordered the Asus VH242h. Should be here Monday so ill let you know what i think. Got a good deal on HWVS

I was hoping to get the Samsung going by the costumer reviews on amazon - Think I will go for the Asus now - cheers !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,140 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I know BENQ do an on-site swap if anything goes wrong with one of their monitors. A power-switch went on mine (could only turn it off and on with a bit of jiggling), and it saved an awful lot of bother by not having to ship the monitor off and wait for a replacement.

I don't know whether any other manufacturers offer the same sevice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

ejmaztec wrote: »

Dell do it. They send a courier to pick up the faulty one and deliver a new one. No charge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

Ah, thanks. I'll forget about that one.

The only problem I'd have with he Asus you mentioned is that it's HVS and while I know they're a good shop (ordered my first PC with them), I don't want to go through the hassle of paying with them.

Thanks for that. No point spending extra on Dabs.
    I know BENQ do an on-site swap if anything goes wrong with one of their monitors. A power-switch went on mine (could only turn it off and on with a bit of jiggling), and it saved an awful lot of bother by not having to ship the monitor off and wait for a replacement.

What does that mean? Will they come and pick it up or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

C14N wrote: »
    Thanks for that. No point spending extra on Dabs.

Whats the price difference. Dabs might be worth it incase you have any trouble with Komplett theyre a balls for customer service.

Whats the price difference. Dabs might be worth it incase you have any trouble with Komplett theyre a balls for customer service.

It's about €20 or more like €35 with postage. Doesn't matter though, I think I'll go with the Iiyama E2472HD from Overclockers :) It's an LED with higher contrast ratio and I like how the ports are laid out. Also has lower power consumption and faster response time.

Sort of off topic question but I was wondering that if I buy a Gigabit ethernet switch, can I plug this into my broadband router?

That mightn't be very clear but what I mean is that I have a 100mbps eircom router but I do a lot of network streaming with HD videos so I'd prefer a Gigabit network. I have 4 different computers and game consoles already plugged into it. If I plugged them all into a switch and plugged the switch into the router, could I get a better network speed and still get broadband on all my computers? (Btw, my broadband is only 1.5mb and I know it won't go up so I'm wondering if this is a cheap alternative to buying a new router.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,140 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

What does that mean? Will they come and pick it up or something?

It was just a matter of the courier arriving, taking the new monitor out of the box, replacing it with the faulty one, and then driving off into the sunset.

I see on the Iiyama site, that they do the same.:D

It was just a matter of the courier arriving, taking the new monitor out of the box, replacing it with the faulty one, and then driving off into the sunset.

I see on the Iiyama site, that they do the same.:D

Thanks for checking that. Great service really:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 296 ✭✭Dey were Sooted

Sort of off topic question but I was wondering that if I buy a Gigabit ethernet switch, can I plug this into my broadband router?

That mightn't be very clear but what I mean is that I have a 100mbps eircom router but I do a lot of network streaming with HD videos so I'd prefer a Gigabit network. I have 4 different computers and game consoles already plugged into it. If I plugged them all into a switch and plugged the switch into the router, could I get a better network speed and still get broadband on all my computers? (Btw, my broadband is only 1.5mb and I know it won't go up so I'm wondering if this is a cheap alternative to buying a new router.)

just a thought...... you might be better off to start a new thread for this one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭dnme

OP
    I bought the iiYama E2410HDS from Komplett last month. Arrived within 48 hours and free delivery :)

Monitor is of average plastic build but I expect that for the price. But in terms of LCD performance, it's beautiful. Very comfortable brightness and contrast ranges and I use it for gaming. I'd highly recommend it. Great piece of kit.

Advertisement