Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom change of router

• 26-11-2010 12:18am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Wondering can anyone help me. I currently have the zyxel router that was sent from eircom and while its ok i would prefer to switch to the belkin surf 150 n. The problem i am having is:

In the setup stage, you have to follow a series of instructions (plug in cables etc), the last instruction is to plug out the plug for 15 seconds and then back in, when i do this the next screen prompts me to contact belkin for assistance. I was successful in getting the PC to see the router ONCE, at which stage it told me it wasnt able to use the ISP settings, and was unable to contact the internet.

Is there some hampering done by eircom that means you can only use the branded routers they send? Or am i just doing something wrong?

Cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

foxerv1 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Wondering can anyone help me. I currently have the zyxel router that was sent from eircom and while its ok i would prefer to switch to the belkin surf 150 n. The problem i am having is:

In the setup stage, you have to follow a series of instructions (plug in cables etc), the last instruction is to plug out the plug for 15 seconds and then back in, when i do this the next screen prompts me to contact belkin for assistance. I was successful in getting the PC to see the router ONCE, at which stage it told me it wasnt able to use the ISP settings, and was unable to contact the internet.

Is there some hampering done by eircom that means you can only use the branded routers they send? Or am i just doing something wrong?

Cheers

There should be no problem using an alternative modem/router with Eircom.

The basic settings are available on their website and have been posted here umpteen times:
    Basic Modem Config:
    Username: eircom@eircom.net
    Password: broadband1
    Encapsulation: PPPoE
    Multiplexing: LLC Based
    VPI: 8
    VCI: 35

However the belkin model no which you have quoted is that of a router only:

http://www.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=492429

That will need to be used with zyxel acting as a modem as it does not have an integrated dsl modem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

dub45 wrote: »
    There should be no problem using an alternative modem/router with Eircom.

The basic settings are available on their website and have been posted here umpteen times:

However the belkin model no which you have quoted is that of a router only:

http://www.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=492429

That will need to be used with zyxel acting as a modem as it does not have an integrated dsl modem.

Apologies, the on i have is the one with integrated modem as seen here http://www.dabs.ie/products/belkin-surf-wireless-n150-bt-adsl-modem-router-6P5W.html

My assumption was that it would be relatively plug & play. I dont remember being asked at any point for any ISP settings

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

My assumption was that it would be relatively plug & play. I dont remember being asked at any point for any ISP settings

The router has no way of knowing who your ISP is so you'll have to tell it. Look for a screen somewhere for setting up the WAN/Internet and in there there'll be an option to selct PPPoE and enter a username/password. The settings for Eircom are :

Username: eircom@eircom.net
    Password: broadband1
    Encapsulation: PPPoE
    Multiplexing: LLC Based
    VPI: 8
    VCI: 35

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Donne

Does anyone know how to get an upgrade for the Firmware of the Zyxtel router?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Apologies, the on i have is the one with integrated modem as seen here http://www.dabs.ie/products/belkin-surf-wireless-n150-bt-adsl-modem-router-6P5W.html

You will have to insert the settings above if you want to get connected - have a look at page 8 of the manual.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

Donne wrote: »
    Does anyone know how to get an upgrade for the Firmware of the Zyxtel router?

Might be as well off getting a decent router instead. The modems/routers supplied by ISP's tend to be uhm....from the cheaper end of the scale. If you have connectivity problems and/or youre a fair distance from the exchange, you'd probably be better off with something like a Netgear DG834. Many people here swear by them and they hold on to the connection even with high attenuation and a bad signal/noise ratio...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

dub45 wrote: »
    You will have to insert the settings above if you want to get connected - have a look at page 8 of the manual.

Aye, i dont think i was making myself clear, lack of sleep and what not.

Basically i cant even get the router through the setup stage, i go through the motions (attach all cables, turn off for 15 seconds etc) and every time i get the same message to contact belkin. When i open the network center it shows the belkin router as being unidentified, pc cant seem to connect to it at all.

Is there something i'm not doing right cos i have tried EVERYTHING i can think of but i have to say i have never had this much trouble with any router/modem before.

Advertisement