Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

protests this coming sat the 27th nov 10

Options
  • 26-11-2010 12:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭

hey

just wondering if anyone here knows where the protest is starting in dublin on saturday at 12? im coming from cork to take pics of it and wondering where it starts?

any info wud be great, thanks.!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

It's starting from Woodquay (near Christchurch Cathedral) at 12 midday and proceeding to the G.P.O.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭serjical_strike

Sundew wrote: »
    It's starting from Woodquay (near Christchurch Cathedral) at 12 midday and proceeding to the G.P.O.

do you think there will be many attending..?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,344 ✭✭✭mojesius

Actually, I have to go from Thomas Street/ Christchurch to Marino around noon for work, I would normally go across quays to Drumcondra. Will the quays be blocked off all day to traffic? I cant see anything up on Dublin City Council or anywhere?

PS, Sorry to hijack your thread, serjical! Hope you get some good pics. Thing is, it's starting around Wood Quay (right where I'm driving) but havent heard about planned road closures anywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kwalshe

maybe search through the many threads about this, search function is your friend, my friend

I think this will be the biggest protest of recent times.

• Advertisement

mojesius wrote: »
    Actually, I have to go from Thomas Street/ Christchurch to Marino around noon for work, I would normally go across quays to Drumcondra. Will the quays be blocked off all day to traffic? I cant see anything up on Dublin City Council or anywhere?

PS, Sorry to hijack your thread, serjical! Hope you get some good pics. Thing is, it's starting around Wood Quay (right where I'm driving) but havent heard about planned road closures anywhere.

ah thats cool im curious as to what is happening up there myself, dont wanna make the trip if its gonna be a small thing so hoping for a big one.. hope the traffic goes ok for you :)

kwalshe wrote: »
    maybe search through the many threads about this, search function is your friend, my friend

indeed..! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

God I don't really know. Anyone I have spoken to in work seems to have been put off by the "trouble rumours"!

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭babybrian

who's the protest organised by? I tried to find out stuff online about it and seen Sinn Fein's name attached to it on one site....I really dont want to be jumping on the sinn fein band wagon(just my opinion sorry to offend anyone).
    Anybody know?or what is the 'theme/issue'(incorrect phrase but Im new to protesting like alot of people I think)...but im sooooo friggin angry :mad::mad:

Sundew wrote: »
    God I don't really know. Anyone I have spoken to in work seems to have been put off by the "trouble rumours"!

not to sound stupid or anythin but the trouble thing wudnt put me off but maybe thats because if somethin happened it would make for great pics, nothin too serious though someone getting hurt is never fun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

there will be many groups marching but mainly individual citizens and some unions

Crosáidí wrote: »
    there will be many groups marching but mainly individual citizens and some unions

thanks for the reply :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,688 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

All the egowarriors will claim to have organised it, ie; the unions, the shinners, the marxists, the hippies, the dubs, the culchies, the opposition etc.... .Anyone with an axe to grind will be there. I for one will be there, call me what you want, I'm an Irish citizen. I don't like what's going on, I know what I am protesting against, the lack of integrity, the cronyism, the dishonestly, the me fiener's etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

It's everyones right to attend a peaceful protest if it's what they believe in and they want to make themselves heard. As for others hijacking the protest, We have to stop them, some of these kids just want to stir the shit and don't know how it's done. We all have to do our part to stop fellow protestors engaging with the gards, becomming aggressive, and encoruaging others to split from the main route of the protest, as this is counter productive and gives gread headlines for the worlds rightwing press, "riots in ireland" on Fox News. they love it.

Protest trouble makers are the same type who show up at english football games and cause trouble. doesn't mean the real fans stop watching football and it doesn't mean that you can't express your opinion.

As for Sinn Fein being there. just because Sinn Fein agree with you about the bailout, doesn't mean you are supporting a united Ireland and are now an official member of the IRA for showing up the same demonstration. once again, don't let others hijack the the goal of the demo'. If they want to identify themselves under a flag, let them, if you disagree with their values, simply march well away from them (or near another group you might feel more solidatity towards)

finally,
    -any violence or trouble, just walk away.
    -any unfair brutality from the gards, keep your video camera handy.

Fair play to all attending, I was reading the thread over on AH, seems to be a lot going. I'd love to be there, but have a prior face-painting obligation that day (no, I'm not joking). That is, if I make it across town.

Fair play to all attending, I was reading the thread over on AH, seems to be a lot going. I'd love to be there, but have a prior face-painting obligation that day (no, I'm not joking). That is, if I make it across town.

facepaint the protestors as lions and spider-eh-men..?

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭clancyoo7

Spacedog wrote: »

-any violence or trouble, just walk away.
    -any unfair brutality from the gards, keep your video camera handy.

I hope you will keep the video camera handy for any violent protestors as well as the gardai. It will be the only way to weed out the trouble makers.

facepaint the protestors as lions and spider-eh-men..?

lol, If I can't make it to my original gig, absolutely. I'll abandon the car, walk down and paint all your faces for free. I even have glitter and can make you all little balloon animals and swords (in case things get hairy). I do a great spiderman face, skeletor and the hulk. Tiger faces are quite time-intensive but I suppose it would be somewhat ironic to see thousands of tiger-faced protestors marching through Dublin!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭Darlughda

Well, I am definitely going. As an individual. On my own.

All through the Celtic Tiger Boom years, I was disgusted at the madness that went on, and the opportunities lost by the government to make improvements in this country while they had the chance.

Now, I am going to march because this debt belongs to the bankers, greedy developers and those who seem to think they are unaccountable because they have the two Brian's in their pocket.

No way should their debt be our sovereign debt.

No way should we accept the crippling interests rates of this bailout that we have no idea of what the consequences will really be.

No way should the poorest and most vulnerable in society be made to suffer the lion's share of the gross excesses that they did not cause.

I was initially reluctant to protest as I don't agree with the public service unions, Sinn Féin, Éirigí and the usual suspects, but feck them all, I am furious about what is happening, so I will be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

Darlughda wrote: »
    Well, I am definitely going. As an individual. On my own.

No way should their debt be our sovereign debt.

This is one of the main reasons why i'm protesting, they are making a private debt a public debt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭flynnlives

Hi guys!

This is the placard im using, feel free to print of and use!

fiannafailure.jpg

lol, If I can't make it to my original gig, absolutely. I'll abandon the car, walk down and paint all your faces for free. I even have glitter and can make you all little balloon animals and swords (in case things get hairy). I do a great spiderman face, skeletor and the hulk. Tiger faces are quite time-intensive but I suppose it would be somewhat ironic to see thousands of tiger-faced protestors marching through Dublin!

ill take one skeletor and a sword to protect myself in case things get a little hairy hah :)

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭dRNk SAnTA

The more peaceful protesters there are, the less easy it will be for the government to dismiss public anger as being just a few headbangers. Lets get off our arses, this will be my first time protesting. :D

dRNk SAnTA wrote: »
    The more peaceful protesters there are, the less easy it will be for the government to dismiss public anger as being just a few headbangers. Lets get off our arses, this will be my first time protesting. :D

me too, pics and protest..!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Sideshow Mark

babybrian wrote: »
    who's the protest organised by? I tried to find out stuff online about it and seen Sinn Fein's name attached to it on one site....I really dont want to be jumping on the sinn fein band wagon(just my opinion sorry to offend anyone).
    Anybody know?or what is the 'theme/issue'(incorrect phrase but Im new to protesting like alot of people I think)...but im sooooo friggin angry :mad::mad:

It's organised by the ICTU. I don't think there will be trouble, its taking a very "non contentious" route. I'm thinking the wintery/snowy weather will put off many, so numbers mightn't be as high as first thought. It's certainly going to make it difficult for anyone com g from outside Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭babybrian

Thanks for the replies people, I think I will go even though weather is to be crap...
    And I like the poster 'flynnlives'

POWER TO THE PEOPLE ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

Can i get some advice please. how much is expected to turn out tomorrow? I want to go and take part. Would be against the unions but cant sit down and do nothing about this crap thats being lumped upon us. i want to go but will be going alone from home due to having no interest from others. is one more really going to make a difference.

ilovesleep wrote: »
    Can i get some advice please. how much is expected to turn out tomorrow? I want to go and take part. Would be against the unions but cant sit down and do nothing about this crap thats being lumped upon us. i want to go but will be going alone from home due to having no interest from others. is one more really going to make a difference.

Its not about the calculation of numbers its about people who feel strongly about something so much they want to protest and add their physical presence to that.

In answer to your question, if all the people who feel they want to protest and add their presence, then yes. These things do have ramifications. It may not be immediate but the important thing is the experience for the individual involved who says enough is enough, I want to say no to this no matter what because it is wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

Darlughda wrote: »
    Its not about the calculation of numbers its about people who feel strongly about something so much they want to protest and add their physical presence to that.

In answer to your question, if all the people who feel they want to protest and add their presence, then yes. These things do have ramifications. It may not be immediate but the important thing is the experience for the individual involved who says enough is enough, I want to say no to this no matter what because it is wrong.

Ok, thanks. Never protested before. so from heuston i follow the quays until i meet the crowd. there will be different groups there i gather. how will i know im standing and marching with the right group. do i look for flynnlives banner? im scared sh1tless

• Advertisement

ilovesleep wrote: »
    Ok, thanks. Never protested before. so from heuston i follow the quays until i meet the crowd. there will be different groups there i gather. how will i know im standing and marching with the right group. do i look for flynnlives banner? im scared sh1tless

Jayzus sweetpea, whatdyawant someone to hold your hand?

Look it, go to any newsagent buy a map of Dublin.
    Find Woodquay on the map.
    Get there before Midday.
    Find a group or banner that sounds like what you are about.
    Walk.

Nobody will say boo to you.

Advertisement