Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

X-mas party this year?

• 26-11-2010 12:56am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭

Just out of interest. Workers out there. Are you having an official x-mas party this year. Meaning your employer is paying toward it via free booze, subsidised meal?

Will you be having a company x-mas party? 62 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 62 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

We got it last year.

Waiting to hear back if we're getting it this year :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭123balltv

No not for me they said times are bad even worse than last year ah sure at least I have good memories of past christmas parties
    I dont really care just once I have my job

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭Wompa1

We are having one but it's coming out of the employee social fun which is not subsidised by the company. In the past the company gave a x-mas party of their own.

I didn't care much until I heard my gf who is doing a post Grad is getting one for her department. Subsidised meal and drinks. A little bit bitter that public sector places seem to get them regardless

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Big_Evil

We are having one alright - company pays most of it, not sure how they work it out - so much per head contribution, any excess is carried by the attendees....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭oompaloompa

I work for a bank, and we're not having a christmas party... we're having TWO :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

working in a pub means i have an xmas party every night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Yup :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

Every work night out I've been to....3 in total have been free bar and I get trashed! We're having a Christmas party but it's a post Christmas party but it's black tie...I get to dress up all purdy!!! EEEK!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Having one too hopefully, if i'm still employed with the company :)

I think we get about €15 per head... better than nothing.

Might sneak in a naggin of vodka :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭dusty207

Friggin right, been on a FAS health care course since April, no rest at all, 17 of us aged 22 to 58, yehaw!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Not going to bother going to the company one, will go to departmental one. That's getting funded all right by the company - because of us winning some thing... can't remember what.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

Work wide christmas party is costing €50, department/unit christmas party is slightly cheaper at €35 for the pleasure, a lot aren't going obviously.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Self employed but the arcade management where my shop is is having free wine and nibbles and music in the arcade when it's all locked up in the evening.

Looking forward to it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 ButtersStotch

Yup a black tie dinner. Nice 4 course meal, free bar, with a mulled wine reception no less! Laa dee daa :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Yeah, 5 star hotel, meal and a "few" free drinks, also booked a room in the hotel at a reduced price :) Going to make a day of it and have a round of golf before the dinner :p

Ha Ha I hate you all. Well actually enjoy it, I think it's actually a good investment this year by a company. I would think staff morale is at an all time low in most places.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

We are having xmas party but no free drink at it, company pay for the meal and thats it - they never ever have paid for drink at any of the xmas parties tho

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭jimthemental

Not atoll sure we'd be lucky to get paid where I am!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Overflow

Just had mine, Free booze all night......hungover !

Have another one in two weeks, company is taking us to Copenhagen for the weekend, much free drink will be had and there will be much rejoicing

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

The company is having one next week. Way too early imo. Should be a decent session though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

yup.

free drink all night
    black tie

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭jokettle

Nope, not unless we want to organise and fund it ourselves :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Zeouterlimits

Dinner yes, but no free drinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭thebigbiffo

free bar for the night and finger food. then again, in my work, every day's a party:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

Aye there'll be a big one around the 17th in some posh hotel in Dublin. Good times!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

I work in the Civil Service. We are organising our own party. A night in the pub with finger food. We are paying for it ourselves though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

We've never had a Christmas party in the job I'm currently in (I've been here 5 years). There are only 5 of us here including my boss (4 at the moment because one of them is on maternity leave) and it wouldn't exactly be the most sociable place of work! My boss always brings us out for a nice lunch with a few glasses of wine the week before Christmas though. Hopefully he'll still do it this year!

Before I worked here I used to work for a big recruitment company. We had a party for our own office (pub, free finger food, one or two free drinks) and then we had a company-wide party in a swanky 5* hotel. Free meal, open bar all night and accommodation paid for. Sweet as a nut.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Yes, having a X-Mas party in 2 weeks, having free bar all night and free meal in a hotel. The rooms are part paid for as well so we have an option to stay. Cant wait really. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

gazzer wrote: »
    I work in the Civil Service. We are organising our own party. A night in the pub with finger food. We are paying for it ourselves though.

Ditto, I'm a civil servant also and we are paying for our own do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

I never understood why people enjoy work parties anyway. Why would you want to spend your free time with people you only really talk to because you have to, not to mention when they're half cut and even more unbearable than they are during work hours? I gave up making excuses to get out of these things years ago, now I'm just honest and tell them I can't be bothered. I'd rather go out with people I like.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Yes, but like all the others I won't be going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭AAAAAAAHHH

flahavaj wrote: »
    I never understood why people enjoy work parties anyway. Why would you want to spend your free time with people you only really talk to because you have to, not to mention when they're half cut and even more unbearable than they are during work hours? I gave up making excuses to get out of these things years ago, now I'm just honest and tell them I can't be bothered. I'd rather go out with people I like.

Maybe some people get on with the people they work with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Yup. We don't have to pay for anything as far as I'm aware.

I work with some sound people that I like drinking with. Can see that it would be murder if you worked with knobs though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 326 ✭✭marathont

You must be Mr. Popular where you work.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

I don't get why people expect subsidised Christmas parties from the companies they work for. Get pissed on your own time, damn it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Titan28

We are having one and the company is paying for it, but it is scaled back from what it used to be. It's just going to be a few free drinks, finger food and DJ in a pub.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

marathont wrote: »
    You must be Mr. Popular where you work.

If you met the cúnts I work with you'd understand why this matters little to me.:pac:

Furthermore work parties usually end in tears, when there's women involved, often literally.

Advertisement