Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Studio lighting, buying advice/tips?

• 26-11-2010 12:57am

Hey all,

Been looking into this a little and haven't a bean. A 'studio set up' to take people's photograph in, seems quite simple in theory. I'd have thought it would be; place subject in front of background, evenly light, test shot, check exposure is ok and *click*, but there seem to be a lot of options out there to clutter and complicate the issue.

Here's me playing about taking some self-portraits with a table-cloth, stuck to a wardrobe, with me standing about one foot in front of it, and the camera about three feet from me;

149245_163192973720825_100000903707019_315328_2559837_n.jpg
    (Ignore the masks and such, I was just playing about with some old rasslin' merchandise. I'm also aware that my skin tone gets a lot paler as you go from top left to bottom right)

For that I used a flashgun with a ring flash attachment and turned the room lights facing me (my goal setting out was to just get a plain background).

So keep in mind that any studio set up, even if it's €10 out of the bin behind Smyths, is an improvement over what I already have.

So I was wondering (go easy on me, I'm just learning); what would you guys suggest would be OK for someone just looking to expirement and learn the basics, but on a tight budget (budget is currently nonexistant, as I don't actually plan to buy anything for a while, at least until 2011, but want to have a vague idea of what I could expect to pay to get away with a small set up cheaply, and learn what makes one set up better than the next).

I was mooching on eBay, and thought to myself, surely something like these would be grand together?

http://cgi.ebay.ie/750W-STUDIO-KIT-Flash-Lighting-LIGHT-PHOTOGRAPHY-3X250W_W0QQitemZ140474116981QQcategoryZ3860QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3286.m7QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D1%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D5211175388275547213

http://cgi.ebay.ie/Studio-Background-Support-7x7-White-Black-Backdrops-/250568422108?pt=UK_Photography_StudioEquipment_RL&hash=item3a570ab2dc

But then, it surely must have something wrong with it? I just know that any kind of half decent set up will cost at least five times as much. :(

I've been flicking through the threads that came up in a search and seen some stuff like the Lastolite Hilite background that was mentioned by borderfox, but I noticed the results seemed the same as a studio kit Oshead made out of lino and paint with a bit of perspex (I'm referring to this thread)

So I was just wondering, would the above be a good set up for a beginner looking to try his luck with portraits?

How big of a background would be required for a family portrait (say five or six people?)

Sorry for the questions, just looking to get my head around the basics of it all.

Cheers. :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Same boat here. Would love some decent backgrounds with adjustable stands, that don't cost the earth. I've been inventive to date too, using bed-spreads, sheets, blankets, towels, T-Shirts [depending on the crop/range] and doing a lot of post-process mending. I'd like something completely portable too.

Nice work using a table-cloth :) You should try changing the angle of your flash gun or bouncing the light [ceiling/rear wall, opposing wall etc ... ] to lose that strong light cast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭K_user

Nothing wrong with trying to learn more and trying new things! :D

I have been/am there. I don't really have a budget, but am collecting as I go along. But I reckon the best advice is to let you know how I got/am getting on.

Currently I have the Interfit ex150 studio light set. They aren't very expensive, but they will set up back around E200, or less,depending on the deal you get.

I also have a background stand and a few different colour backgrounds. And that set me back another couple of hundred. But this was all spread over time.

First I bought the studio set and found it great. Really helped me tackle a few projects where off camera flash wouldn't have been ideal. And they aren't all that hard to use, anyone with a basic DSLR is already using something far more complicated.

Then I got the background and thats where things get far trickier.

You will need a little space for all the gear by the way. Nothing worse than deciding to take a quick portrait and having to set everything up. A half hour spent putting things up and taking things down again, for just 5 min's of photography...its frustrating.

If you are going down the hanging background and stand route, you have two basic options, the smooth and seamless paper, or creased and folded muslin sheet. The paper is far easier to use, but twice the price. I have the muslin. Which means getting that perfect portrait background is difficult. Head shots are easy, but the more of the background that is visible, the more creases and shadows become a factor.

Blues and grays are manageable. A bit of distance, setting a low aperture, and the problems disappear, leaving a simple coloured background.

(See a sample of mine here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056086053 )

But using a white background is a b*t*h! I still can't get that perfect, seamless white, full length portrait. Now, in saying that, I don't attempt it too often - mainly out of frustration - but its harder than it looks.

(Here are a couple of my previous posts and treads on this:
    From Random photos (first one): http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=68122171#post68122171
    And full length attempts: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056029722 )

There is a nack to it, I just haven't found it yet. Although I am considering getting another light, which would hopefully light the white background more evenly and cut out some of the shadows I'm fighting.

I don't know if any of this helps. Getting studio gear is great and I'm happy with mine. But it does take a bit of work to get that "look" that you might be after.

Thanks for that post, K user!

Very helpful indeed. Its great to hear other people's opinions who are in a similar position, but ahead of you, so have already purchased something.

Out of curiousity, where did you buy your stuff? Online or in a 'real' shop? Have you had any frustrations with your lights themselves? Have they always been able to be powerful enough, and such? (my only fear of going cheap is that the lights will be crap and won't light up the place at all, and me not knowing the first thing about thiskinda stuff, I'll have nothing to complain about except my own stupidity).

Also, how much space does your set up take up? And what size background do you use? Is it big enough for adults, or just the kids?

Sorry for the questions. Don't want to pester you, but found that post quite interesting, so... :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭K_user

Its no problem at all, ask away, God knows I’ve asked enough questions off others here! :D

I got all my stuff online. The studio lights and stand came from Jessops, took less than a week to arrive. The backgrounds came from Amazon, I think. In the case of the lights, the most expensive individual part, I just waited until there was a sale - as I said, I’m on a budget. They might drop in price again after Christmas, if you are interested.

The whole lot, while folded up, take up very little space. Its like having 5 tripods and a kit bag in the corner. The backgrounds come with little bags for storage, and I have another bag for the flash heads - a standard gym bag. But when left up, it depends on the size of the background you choose. I have two different types of muslin sheets. A 3mx6m, which is huge and could fit an entire family, even if they were standing up. And a couple of 2mx3m, which are much smaller and easier to use, perfect for children and seated portraits of adults.

As for the set up - it varies. I have to move the house and its dog to get the white (large) background working-ish. It takes up a fair amount of space. Not only the width, but in trying to get distance between me, the “model” and the creased background. The smaller ones, once set up, I leave hanging in my study against the wall. I hardly even notice them in my day to day use of the room. I have to move the flash head with the softbox out of my way every so often, but it’s a real time saver if the mood strikes.

The lights themselves are fine for my needs. I use them at home and I‘ve brought them with me when needed. I doubt that they’d stand up to 5 day a week, 8 hours a day, usage though. They give enough light for portraits and for group shots, as long as you aren’t too fussy about the background. As mentioned before I have yet to successfully take a white background shot to my satisfaction. Here is another sample that clearly shows the “issue“:

388D9405965D462EB7FF5CF30276076B-500.jpg

That is why, as I said earlier, I’m considering getting a third light. That way, hopefully , the shadows won’t be as pronounced.

But going for a head shot, this is what you get:

E6F2754384374DF2A9E1A6D4A7DFBE89-500.jpg

Oh and for the smaller things in life, they are just perfect:

02C965D0CF0547C8BADCED83E0447A15-0000314495-0001876395-00640L-A08CBC2B66E648778DB6B73FF22E83DB.jpg

I think the biggest question that you have to ask is what you want to achieve? For me, I wanted them for personal projects. For my family. And I really need them for taking animal portraits, which is something that I really enjoy doing, as they light up the room enough and don’t require me to be sticking a flash into an animals face.

Does that help in any way?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 362 ✭✭joconnell

www.strobist.com - pretty much everything you need to know.

• Advertisement
Advertisement