Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ambassador

Options
  • 26-11-2010 2:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭

Just wondering have they completely stopped doing gigs at the Ambassador these days in favour of the long term events?

I was thinking today about a few great gigs I went to in there over the years, pity if its not used as a live venue any more.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭JJ

That's correct. The Academy is MCD's other small to medium sized gig venue now.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Yea they seem to be using Tripod and Olympia more these days aswell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭Luke G

Just wondering have they completely stopped doing gigs at the Ambassador these days in favour of the long term events?

I was thinking today about a few great gigs I went to in there over the years, pity if its not used as a live venue any more.

Waste of a venue, It was Much better than The Academy, I don't know how true this is but i've heard a few times that they plan on Moving the Ilac Centre Library to the ambassador, Hope that isn't true, Would love to see more gigs in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Yeah, it was a shame that the Ambassador stopped holding concerts but I can see from MCD's perspective why they did what they did. More money to be made in venues that can be double up with club nights as well as concerts. It was an appropriate time to close the venue too, just before the economic crisis.

They may have considered revamping the Ambassador and holding club nights there but The Academy is perhaps in a better location. The smaller capacity can be an issue with some of the more bigger acts; now we see bands that would have typically played the Ambassador play the Olympia and, more recently, Tripod.

I way preferred the Ambassador to the Olympia though, saw a load of great gigs there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Mr.S wrote: »
    a revamped Ambassador into a venue/club would be very nice. But as said, MCD have the Academy now so why have to small/medium sized venues when the demand isn't there.

Exactly, I think it would be great if MCD revamped the Ambassador into a 4,000 or thereabouts capacity music venue but there probably isn't the space with the Rotunda right behind it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Damian Duffy

I just find it strange when I walk by and see sonic staring back at me and previous to him, a bunch of dinosaurs. This is the same place where I have seen Queens of the Stone Age, Motorhead and BRMC among many others. Shame it's no longer a music venue. I can see the logic but it's still a shame. Like the academy as a venue, find tripod a bit frustrating and the Olympia can be hit and miss.

Advertisement