Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why cant I only get faster broadband?

• 26-11-2010 2:38am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,564 ✭✭✭✭

I just want to know why my exchange in golden co.tipperary can only do 1 & 3mb broadband.

Now dont get me wrong im blessed to have broadband at all in my area but I just can never get a straight answer from them about the exchange?

My phoneline can hold 10mb no bother but I cant get it, its really pissing me off tbh

Im just wondering has anyone the same experience to me about their exchange ?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

What makes you think your line can do 10Mb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,564 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

What makes you think your line can do 10Mb

The engineers have told me it can plus iv tested alot of houses in my area, newly built ones etc and all come back as 1 or 3mb, so therefore the exchange can only do 1 or 3mb which I find strange

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

You;ll likely find the exchange is actually enabled for upto 7MB, but your line is likely not capable of the higher speeds.

Easy way of knowing if the "engineers" told the truth, post your line stats

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Some sub-exchanges can only do 3mbit. I know Bohola in Co. Mayo is one, they don't sell packages higher than 3mbit on these exchanges.

Cabaal wrote: »
    You;ll likely find the exchange is actually enabled for upto 7MB, but your line is likely not capable of the higher speeds.

Easy way of knowing if the "engineers" told the truth, post your line stats
    my line can do 10mb no bother
    Every one who's capable of getting broadband in my area can only get 1 or 3mb broadband
    PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Some sub-exchanges can only do 3mbit. I know Bohola in Co. Mayo is one, they don't sell packages higher than 3mbit on these exchanges.

that's probably what my exchange is, its a sickner why I cant get higher speeds

why do eircom do this shi't?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

The only way of seeing if a line can run at 10 mbps is to actually run that speed over the line and see how stable the signal is. The meters that linesmen may use wouldn't be able to test that in any case, the modem and DSLAM can test the maximum available speed to a much better extent but it's still not guaranteed.

That's why Cabaal is looking for your line stats, it would confirm or deny this quickly.

A linesman (most eircom technicians wouldn't have anything like an engineering degree) could easily tell you that your line is "grand" but that the company has made a mistake, as it's less likely for a customer to ask them to fiddle around the line. If a customer got the impression that the linesman could do something, they may chance their arm to see if he'll fix it etc.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=66790853&postcount=7
    eircom broadband:
    Connected
    DSL Mode:
    ADSL_G.dmt
    Speed:
    3072 kbps /384 kbps
    Line Attenuation (Down/Up):
    11 dB /5 dB
    DSL Noise Margin:
    28 dB /15 dB

First DNS:
    83.70.93.244(dns3.cra.dublin.eircom.net)
    Secondary DNS:
    213.94.190.194(dns1.cwm.dublin.eircom.net)
    Tertiary DNS:

Headshot wrote: »
    Thanks. That's amazing.

I'd simply lodge a complaint in writing with eircom to get their asses in gear, and they'll be forced to give you a reason of some sort.

Thanks. That's amazing.

I'd simply lodge a complaint in writing with eircom to get their asses in gear, and they'll be forced to give you a reason of some sort.

ill do that tbc

who should i lodge the complaint with ? ie what person or department

I'm not exactly sure: Probably the CEO of eircom Ltd, Paul Donovan?

Eircom HQ is at 1 Heuston South Quarter, St. John's Road, Dublin 8.

• Advertisement

I'm not exactly sure: Probably the CEO of eircom Ltd, Paul Donovan?

Eircom HQ is at 1 Heuston South Quarter, St. John's Road, Dublin 8.

so To_be_confirmed I got a phone call today from eircom about the letter I sent them

Basically they echoed the same thing that customer service was saying that my line cant do it but I told the them that the technical help have told me that I can get faster broadband and have a look at the specs of my line

so the customer service person told me they'll enquire from technical help and get back to me in a few days

Why cant they just tell me whats up

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

dub45 wrote: »
    You must live in the exchange!:D

:D

more or less beside it

so To_be_confirmed I got a phone call today from eircom about the letter I sent them

Basically they echoed the same thing that customer service was saying that my line cant do it but I told the them that the technical help have told me that I can get faster broadband and have a look at the specs of my line

so the customer service person told me they'll enquire from technical help and get back to me in a few days

Why cant they just tell me whats up

Hmmm... I think you should have emphasised that the line stats of your modem say that your line is very good and is short aswell. Tell them that your line is less than 1 kilometre long, and that everyone in the area can't order over 3 mbps either. If eircom can't find anyone getting over 3 mbps from your exchange, they would have to start asking themselves questions.

Oh and make sure you have a complaint reference number!! If eircom continue to give you the run-around, you'll need to approach ComReg with the complaint details and explain to ComReg why eircom have got it wrong with your line (and everyone else's).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Maskedgameguru

Thats the same problem I have.

Loved to no what happens.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

They possibly only have an E3 copper backhaul (32-45mbits) on Bohola and Hospital exchanges and and are throttling DSL offerings so as not to max it out which would force an upgrade to STM1 (155mbits) like Xennon shamed them into on the Inch St. lawrence exchange outside Limerick.

One effective was to do this is to throttle to max 3mbits

The good news is then they can't offer NGB on that exchange and you will not have to pay excess charges for downloading like a pack of hoors :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭dak

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    They possibly only have an E3 copper backhaul (32-45mbits) on Bohola and Hospital exchanges and and are throttling DSL offerings so as not to max it out which would force an upgrade to STM1 (155mbits) like Xennon shamed them into on the Inch St. lawrence exchange outside Limerick.

The good news is then they can't offer NGB on that exchange and you will not have to pay excess charges for downloading like a pack of hoors :D

Hi spongebob

I have a similar situation in Portmarnock. I'm supposedly on Vodafone NGB 8mb but only get connection speeds less than 3mb. At various times I have been told that my line can take 4mbsbut when I ring its often set at 3mb max. Is this Eircom or Vodafone who appear to be throttling the connection ?

dak

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Sponge Bob wrote: »

this must be that "next generation broadband" that eircom have been telling everyone about. :rolleyes:

doesn't exactly inspire confidence in them really. :(

so just to update this once more

Got a ring from eircom and they are baffled by this, the person I was talking to told me that the exchange can do more than 3mb and I asked him why cant i order more than 3mb and he replied " I think that it could be that your phone line was tested a long time ago and the computers in the sales department are still using that information" " so the computers need updating" (along those lines anyway)

so they are going to further investigation on this and possibly push through my order in the sales department

At least its nice to know the exchange can do the 7mb I want

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭anoble66

Yeah, I have had the same before. Eircom run a line grading system. Once that info is recorded - good or bad its recorded down and used on their ordering systems. Not only that, but the resellers such as Vodafone, UTV etc all use it too. Trying to get Eircom to re-grade your line is a nightmare..

oh if they dont regrade ill be off to comreg faster than you can say Jimmy crack corn :D

edit

I take it that they re-graded your line, how did you get eircom to do it

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Petetheroadie

Would someone in the know be able to tell me what speed my line can take per the below stats:

Upstream Downstream

NoiseMargin(dB) 23.0 16.2
    Attenuation(dB) 37.0 22.0
    Power(dBm) 11.9 19.7

Thanks,

Pete

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Would someone in the know be able to tell me what speed my line can take per the below stats:

Upstream Downstream

NoiseMargin(dB) 23.0 16.2
    Attenuation(dB) 37.0 22.0
    Power(dBm) 11.9 19.7

Thanks,

Pete

Put Your figures in here, You've not posted what speed Your modem is syncing at now.
    http://212.23.23.177/adsl/default.aspx

If you're on 1mbit now the line should be capable of about 4.5mbit, if higher its capable of a little more

ugh

Got news today that I didnt want to hear

I cant get 7mb not because of my phone line but because of the capacity

the exchange beside me is a mini exchange and holds the cabinet and there isnt anough capacity to get me 7mb

ffs :(:(

Cold comfort but at least they're honest about the reason. It's something the local media and perhaps politicians would be interested in. "Eircom inadequately equips area for broadband" or "XYZ gets left behind on information highway" etc.

The sponge referred to eircom being embarassed into upgrading another exchange like it.

Well iv emailed the story to a local newspaper, i hope they look into this matter

also Sponge how did Xennon shame eircom into upgrading the exchange ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭ingen

Well iv emailed the story to a local newspaper, i hope they look into this matter

also Sponge how did Xennon shame eircom into upgrading the exchange ?

id be interested in hearing about this too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Put Your figures in here, You've not posted what speed Your modem is syncing at now.
    http://212.23.23.177/adsl/default.aspx

If you're on 1mbit now the line should be capable of about 4.5mbit, if higher its capable of a little more
    Can I get your insight into my figures?
    ADSL Link         Downstream  Upstream
    Connection Speed  1024 kbps   128 kbps
    Line Attenuation  44 db       13.5 db
    Noise Margin      12 db       22 db

We originally had 3mb eircom, but it was only sync'ing at 2mb. I think the problem lay with the POC netopia router (which I almost got reflashed with a stock ROM but that's another story).
    The package was downgraded to 1mb as eircom don't provide a 2mb and it was decided to not pay for something we weren't getting.
    I've changed the modem to a btter one which a lot more stable.

As far as I am aware the exchange, Crookedwood, CKWA is ADSL2+.
    8750Kbps is what the Line Capability Estimator calculates for my figures. I wouldn't have thought that would be possible as I am quite a distance from the exchange.

• Advertisement

I think that figure is too high, even for using ADSL2+. It looks like that the line should manage 3 mbps, but your line's quality isn't very good. My line is 4 miles long and has higher attenuation according to the modem too, but it still has a better signal margin.

You really should set up a thread for your own issue rather than jump in on someone else's issue:). Particularly when it's unrelated. You'll get more specific responses that way too.

Advertisement