Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why cant I only get faster broadband?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

I think that figure is too high, even for using ADSL2+. It looks like that the line should manage 3 mbps, but your line's quality isn't very good. My line is 4 miles long and has higher attenuation according to the modem too, but it still has a better signal margin.

You really should set up a thread for your own issue rather than jump in on someone else's issue:). Particularly when it's unrelated. You'll get more specific responses that way too.

As i thought. It's not huge issue for me, once the connection is stable which it is now. I never would of thought 10 years ago I would have BB on that line.

Apologies for the OT'ness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,564 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

So I never heard back from the newspaper i wrote a letter to. Any point going to comreg about this matter or any other advice please

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Nemeses

Headshot wrote: »
    So I never heard back from the newspaper i wrote a letter to. Any point going to comreg about this matter or any other advice please

Personally, I don't think Comreg can do anything. Eircom have equipment in there to provide broadband to you and Eircom themselves have told you the exchange itself cannot provide more than 3megs due to the gear in the exchange. Until Eircom plan to upgrade that exchange...you can only have a 3meg connection max. Comreg wont do anything as eircom have stated 3 is all you can get due to the exchange etc by the looks of it, Eircom aren't breaking any rules by the looks of it ..
    Am i missing anything other info here? correct me if i'm wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,564 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Sorry for the bump but I thought people might be interested to read this

The letter from eircom

"The speed available to the end user attached to an exchange is dictated by the backhaul capacity from the exchange into the wider eircom trunk network. Any exchange with less than 24mb backhaul can only offer 3mb and below. This is the case with Golden which has a 16meg backhaul capacity.

Therefore it would not be feasible for eircom to offer the higher speed.

The situation will of course change as eircom upgrades its network backhaul capacity which is being done on a phased basis driven by capacity demands."

Looks like Golden will always be stuck with 3mb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Nemeses

Headshot wrote: »

Looks like Golden will always be stuck with 3mb

St least they gave a valid reason. Pity about the 3meg.

At least it's somewhat broadband!

• Advertisement
Advertisement