Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AIB Question on closing account

Options
  • 26-11-2010 2:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭

Hi folks,

I have looked through the rest of this part of the forum and checked on the rest of the wibblywobblydot etc but no joy!

Anyway, my AIB account has been inactive since December of last year because I am in Australia. Anyway, now it has been closed on me and since I intend to come home for Christmas I was going to transfer money into it for ease of access etc. Anyway, I have no dealings with AIB anymore as I save with Rabo but at this stage, is it going to be much hassle to get it reopened?

Oh and honestly, the account was minus a euro or something like that with nothing else coming out of my account or repeatedly bouncing back etc.

Comments

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

It's impossible to reopen an account once it's closed, you'll have to open a completely new account. TBH, I couldn't say for sure whether or not you'll have trouble, best bet is to check with your branch. It's not like you had a major default, your account was most likely closed because it had a small negative balance and was closed off so as interest didn't keep accruing and increasing the overdrawn balance.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I have an account in Limerick from when I was in collage 15 yrs ago with AIB thats still open. OP How could they close it with out asking you 1st. It could be hard to open an account when your not there in person, passport / bill in your name dated in the last 3 months proving your address. All impossible if your not in the country.

You may have to transfer the money into some elses account until you get home.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭misterdeeds

Diddler82 wrote: »
    Hi folks,

I have looked through the rest of this part of the forum and checked on the rest of the wibblywobblydot etc but no joy!

Anyway, my AIB account has been inactive since December of last year because I am in Australia. Anyway, now it has been closed on me and since I intend to come home for Christmas I was going to transfer money into it for ease of access etc. Anyway, I have no dealings with AIB anymore as I save with Rabo but at this stage, is it going to be much hassle to get it reopened?

Oh and honestly, the account was minus a euro or something like that with nothing else coming out of my account or repeatedly bouncing back etc.
    your a/c became dormant and your bank are obliged to close it but u can reactivate it by going into your bank with i d and fill out a form or two and then your a/c will be reopend same happend to me last year so any balance will be given back to you ok

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Diddler82

Thanks for the replies. Will call into the bank when I'm home to see if it can be reopened.

Most likely I will use a Commonwealth Bank Travel Card, by the time I transfer money across with the fees involved in will work out about the same.

Advertisement