Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UV Tattoos in Ireland?

Options
  • 26-11-2010 7:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭

Hihi :)

I've been looking to get a UV tattoo done - unfortunately, it looks like Waterford is a no-go (at least as far as an experienced UV artist is concerned), so it looks like time to travel.

I dont mind on the county, but would love any testimonial from anyone who mightve gotton one done - as the procedure is claimed to be much more difficult than your standard tattooing, I'd like to be able to take someone's word on an experienced artist :)

Also, would anyone care to enlighten me to the real risks associated with UV Tattoos? Most reports I've read both for and against UV tattooing don't really back up their sources in a tonne of cases. I realise UV Ink is not approved for use on human skin.. but neither is regular ink. The only substantiated claim I've seen so far is that some individuals may develop a rash from the chemicals contained in UV ink - but that many of these cases would have been the same if normal ink were used on that particular person. I've got a mild case of eczema, but I've also gotton a normal tattoo and have had zero bad reactions or skin effects in the 5 years since getting this done. Infact, it's one part of my body that never ever flared with eczema since the needlework was completed :confused:

Anyway, tl,dr: Where's good to get UV Tattoos in Ireland, and what general risks would you put against it which wouldn't normally accompany a normal ink job?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

The proper UV inks are not put directly into your body, but they are actually contained within tiny plastic microcapsules/beads which are suspended in a liquid. So the main problem with UV inks is that because they are essentially within tiny plastic capsules, then you could/should not ever get laser treatment to try to remove them, as this will simply burn/melt the plastic, releasing nasty stuff into your body, and leave melted plastic under your skin... so you need to be damn sure that you'll never want to get whatever it is removed...

I know we have a member that has had a couple of UV tattoos done that has done a hell of a lot of research into it, he'll probably pop up to give further information. I'll see if I can link to his old posts too.

I'm actually planning a part UV tattoo myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Adrenalin

Any luck finding info on them so far?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

Skincity tattoo do em, I'm assuming they're safe as they're on the market.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Starting to think about getting my tattoo topped up with UV over it. It's only small. About 1.5 inches both ways. And just lines - a start, heart and crochet (only the crochet is filled in)

Anyone any idea how much it would cost for that and where I could get it done?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Eroticplants

G's Tattoo in Galway do them! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Adrenalin

id assume there more expensive then regular ink yeah?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

It's good to see that the superstitious type stance (It glows, it must be evil!:rolleyes:) regarding these is fading* away. That said, if true, the tales about the early versions being little more than boiled down glow in the dark paint are pretty horrific.:eek:
    Hurray for technological progress and PMMA (the polymer the UV ink is contained in).

*Speaking of fading this was another myth around at the time I got my first UV tattoo, now have that one... think it's been 4 (maybe 5) years, and if it has faded it hasn't done so enough to be noticeable.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Sorry for bringing up an old thread, but is there anywhere reputable in Dublin that does these? If so, can you shed light on how it is different to normal tatts?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 RitchieRich

I dont think any of the the bigger studios in Dublin do UV tattoo's. None that I've been in anyway, any of the artists I've talked to think it's a bad idea at the moment because not awhole lot is known about the inks and the long term effects with your body.
    I was thinkin about getting something small done aswell but artists I talked to told me to think about it, and since I have done I've decided to wait.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭barone

G's Tattoo in Galway do them! :)

x2 , based in prospect hill galway ,last i heard

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Eroticplants

barone wrote: »
    x2 , based in prospect hill galway ,last i heard

No they moved down to where Metal Works used to be on Shop Street some time ago.

Advertisement