Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Stopover Rosslare or close?

• 26-11-2010 8:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 43

We arrive Rosslare on the 18.00 ferry and with these dark nights, we will be looking for a nice fish 'n chip shop and to settle down for the evening/night in a safe and quiet spot (always preferable, lol!).......:rolleyes:

Any suggestions? Wondered about St Margarets Beach area? A beach for our 3 Yorkie "kids" would be nice the next morning? Or would we be moved on?

Many thanks, in advance!! Ana x :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51 ✭✭may2001

I don't have a camper van and I don't live in Rosslare, but when down in Rosslare for holidays/weekends, I often see European camper vans parked over night in the car park at Rosslare strand - right beside the beach. There is a chinese restaurant / takeaway beside the car park. I don't know if there are any other takeaways nearby. There is also a pub just across the street.

Alternatively, I would recommend the caravan park in St. Margarets. We stayed there in a caravan a number of years ago and found the facilities excellent. There is no car park really at St Margaret's beach as parking is only on the side of the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Narrow roads but killmore key is popular with camper van in the summer, don't know about the F&C but I'm sure you'll get something

http://maps.google.ie/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=52.172085,-6.592208&spn=0.008212,0.01929&t=h&z=16&layer=c&cbll=52.172085,-6.592208&panoid=rehShKI2bvj4vyL9WSQP6A&cbp=12,105.95,,0,9.2

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Gypsyrose

Thanks. St Margarets site is closed this time of year (along with so many others!!).
    How would we find our way to Rosslare Strand please?

These are the directions from memory:

1) Head towards Wexford town from Rosslare Harbour

2) Go straight through Kilrane village

3) When you come into Tagoat village turn right at a small pub on the right side of the road

4) This is a very small twisty road, but stay on this road and it will bring you to Rosslare Strand

5) When you hit the first roundabout take the 3rd exit

6) Keep right at the next junction

7) Drive straight down into the middle of the village of Rosslare Strand

8) When you reach the tee junction at the end the car park is directly in front of you

I'd say that it is about 5 miles by road, but it is less than a mile across the sea. You will be able to see the harbout and the ferries when you walk out on the beach beside the car park.

There is a better road into Rosslare Strand from the Wexford side, but you may find it difficult to find the turning in the dark, but there are street lights in Tagoat which should make it easier to find the turning.

I hope that it will be a bit warmer than it is tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭bido

You could park in the church carpark on the left as you leave the ferry port we have seen some parked there during the summer.one at a time:D there is a chipper just up the road past the bank.the harbour hotel have a chinese takeaway also.
    The beach at ST.Margarets is very lonely and dark at this time of year.:D;)

• Advertisement

Many helpful replies, thank you!! Will make a note of all of them.
    Re Kilmore Quay, we have plans to visit there anyway!!

Cold in Wales too and we have snow which is unusual for our area. Sure that the Irish sun will shine all through Dec and Jan?!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 561 ✭✭✭dollydishmop

Piggybacking the OP's post...but does anyone know the nearest campsite to Rosslare, that would be open at this time of year.

Catching an early boat next week, and with current weather conditions we don't want to risk bad roads at silly o'clock in the morning, so looking into getting a bit closer the night before...and also, given current conditions, I think we'll freeze if we wild camp (need hookup to run heating :D )

Wish you luck with this one!! A site OPEN?!! :eek: We are beginning to worry too!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭killalanerr

we are on the road tomorrow not looking forward to it at all

Just wishing you all the very best, weather can't stay so cold? We have found a few sites open in other parts, such as Co Clare, Kerry etc but not near Rosslare. All the very best! Ana x

• Advertisement

Piggybacking the OP's post...but does anyone know the nearest campsite to Rosslare, that would be open at this time of year.

Catching an early boat next week, and with current weather conditions we don't want to risk bad roads at silly o'clock in the morning, so looking into getting a bit closer the night before...and also, given current conditions, I think we'll freeze if we wild camp (need hookup to run heating :D )

If you bring an electrical cable connection to allow you to plug into a normal 3 pin socket, you might be able to request one of the service stations to allow you to plug in for the night for a fee!

Just a suggestion

Never thought of that, is this something they may do in Ireland?? If needs must, we will ask!! :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,755 ✭✭✭meercat

http://www.safenightsireland.com/
    dont know if theres anything here that may help you out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 561 ✭✭✭dollydishmop

Meercat - you are quite possibly a total genius!

Forgot completely about SNI !

Have just emailed a hotel near to Rosslare, listed on SNI - GypsyRose, will let you knowif I hear back.
    When are you travelling Gypsyrose?

@may2001 - we do always carry a 3-pin adapter for our hook-up lead, but figured, so close to the ferry port we'd just get turned away...if they let one campervan in for the night they'd have to let them all in - so didn't want to waste my time asking any of the local petrol stations to be honest

I was debating whether to join SNI at one time but didn't do anything about it.
    We are to be on the ferry on the 15 Dec......we have a holiday cottage for Christmas so will be ok then at least!
    We will be staying over a month in all so that we can see a bit of your wonderful country. :)
    Whilst touring, where will we be able to empty the toilet? Also fill with water? When we planned all this, we thought we'd stay on sites and that a fair few would be open....:confused:

Narrow roads but killmore key is popular with camper van in the summer, don't know about the F&C but I'm sure you'll get something

http://maps.google.ie/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=52.172085,-6.592208&spn=0.008212,0.01929&t=h&z=16&layer=c&cbll=52.172085,-6.592208&panoid=rehShKI2bvj4vyL9WSQP6A&cbp=12,105.95,,0,9.2

Kilmore Quay have quite possibly the best fish & chips in Ireland :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Gypsyrose wrote: »
    I was debating whether to join SNI at one time but didn't do anything about it.
    We are to be on the ferry on the 15 Dec......we have a holiday cottage for Christmas so will be ok then at least!
    We will be staying over a month in all so that we can see a bit of your wonderful country. :)
    Whilst touring, where will we be able to empty the toilet? Also fill with water? When we planned all this, we thought we'd stay on sites and that a fair few would be open....:confused:

If you are filling up at a petrol station ask about water. Most have an out side tap. I filled up once at the petrol station at Liscrannor Co Clare and you might get away with a quick flush but best to ask first. Get a list of quays on the shannon where boats pull up all of them will have toilets and water.

It Waterford Boat Strand between Anns town and Killmurran cove has toilets and water, alot of costal quays do. It's called Dunbrattin Head on the Map.
    http://maps.google.ie/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=52.139336,-7.310286&spn=0.034399,0.077162&z=14

You could also probably spend the night there.

You could also park at Tramore in Waterford.

Oh, making a note of that, you are all so helpful here!! I knew about the waterways but we are not going that way at all (we plan to on another trip, however!) but I never knew re the coastal quays and facilities.
    Didn't know about great fish 'n chips in Kilmore Quay either...!! :D

Advertisement