Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anybody have a good understanding of mobile phone electronics?

Options
  • 26-11-2010 8:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 13

My wife had a Nokia5800 and liked it. Then it got salt water damaged, was only a month old. Want to get here a phone for christmas (my upgrade, free present!) but 5800 not available. Its replacement is very similar, but has 2 Mpix camera not 3.2. would it be possible to replace the 2 Mpix camera on the new phone with the 3.2 Mpix camera???
    I'm almost sure that there are different electronics and software behind the scenes, but thought I'd ask anyway.
    Thanks, Dave....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,234 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

That's not going to work, different parts and fittings and your 2 year warranty goes out the window so forget about it.

Nokia are not good at touchscreens and the software is horrible, if she want a good phone with a touchscreen and ok camera, look at the likes of the HTC Desire, Samsung Galaxy S, iPhone 4, Sony X10.

Shop around the networks for your upgrade there's some seriously good deals out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Dr. Dave

Thanks for your advice.
    As she is on Meteor, I'm stuck to upgrading with them. The important thing is getting a FREE upgrade on the lowest tariff - keeping monthly costs down. I'm sure all the phones you mentioned are great, no hope getting one free on my tariff!! She would die for an iPhone. Even if we got it for free, the data tarrif we would have to go to is too steep.
    Dave..

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Buy her a second hand 5800 from adverts, ebay etc. Then take whatever other phone for the upgrade, or dont take one at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Dr. Dave

Had looked at various sites for just that Davy.
    Prices range from 120 - 150 Euro for anything decent. Which really surprised me.
    Can get a Nokia 5230 free as an upgrade, which is a cheaper version of the 5800.
    Only has a 2mpix camera, hence my original question post.
    Probably just go with that and stop pissing about.

Thanks all again

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Ye the 5230 is grand if its free. I hope she doesnt use wlan though, it doesnt have it. The sister phone 5530 got the wlan, instead of 3G which the 5230 has.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Gooch2k4

Davy wrote: »
    Ye the 5230 is grand if its free. I hope she doesnt use wlan though, it doesnt have it. The sister phone 5530 got the wlan, instead of 3G which the 5230 has.
    Its worth noting the 5530 doesnt have GPS either

Advertisement