Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Black Friday

• 26-11-2010 10:13am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,797 ✭✭✭✭

Have I been living on another planet for the past 10 years?
    First I asked my self, what the fcuk is Black Friday?
    After looking it up I asked, why the fcuk is it mentioned so much now in Irish media/by Irish people.
    This surely wasnt as big a deal in Ireland 2/3 years ago, was it?

Are we getting more and more americanised (whatever you'd call it)?
    I know we are a long way down this road already.

Am I the only on that thinks this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Whats Black Friday?Something to do with the toy show?:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

kippy wrote: »
    After looking it up I asked, why the fcuk is it mentioned so much now in Irish media/by Irish people.

Only black people are allowed outside today.
    All other races, nationalities who are not black must stay in the house and can only venture out tomorrow again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Black humour day? BTW, keep us posted if you see any of it off the west coast!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

mfceiling wrote: »
    Only black people are allowed outside today.
    All other races, nationalities who are not black must stay in the house and can only venture out tomorrow again.

I wouldn't mind if this was actually true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

its only for Coal merchants.

seriously tho - I have no idea what it is - i just hope its not yet another americanism bulldozing its way in. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

what the fcuk is Black Friday?

He was a character in the novel Robinson Crusoe by Daniel Defoe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Sean^DCT4

Black Friday is the day following Thanksgiving Day in the United States, traditionally the beginning of the Christmas shopping season. On this day many U.S. retailers open very early, often at 5 a.m., and offer promotional sales to kick off the shopping season. Because Thanksgiving always falls on the fourth Thursday in November in the United States, the day after occurs between the 23rd and the 29th of November.
    The day's name originated in Philadelphia, where it originally was used to describe the heavy and disruptive pedestrian and vehicle traffic which would occur on the day after Thanksgiving. Use of the term began by 1966 and began to see broader use outside Philadelphia around 1975. Later an alternative explanation began to be offered: that "Black Friday" indicates the period during which retailers are turning a profit, or "in the black."

Link

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

bonerm wrote: »
    He was a character in the novel Robinson Crusoe by Daniel Defoe.

Ah he was deadly in Spider Man.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

yup gotta love Black Friday, i've taken advantage of some of the bargains already! :D

Born in the USA!

Yep its basically a day retailers offer discounts in the states. Now retailers here and UK are using it as a marketing drive as times are tough. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭Wompa1

I would assume it's getting known here now because of the popularization of shopping online and buying stuff from American stores online.

Not worth it this year, sounds like they are clamping down on taxing stuff being bought in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

the apple ie store is having a black friday sale... but there's not much of a discount. nothing like you would see in some shops in the US!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

As the 'oul saying goes. 'You buy Irish, you buy twice'.

(this phrase has been bastardised from another. Any connection to people living or dead is purely coincidental.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

They turn off the lights today.
    Gotta save on electricity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

I prefer blue Monday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

So it's just some american thing or other we can just ignore here then basically

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

cisk wrote: »
    Born in the USA!

Yep its basically a day retailers offer discounts in the states. Now retailers here and UK are using it as a marketing drive as times are tough. :rolleyes:

We ought to start celebrating Thanksgiving then too?

It seems a bit paradoxical having something like Black Friday straight after an event where you are meant to be appreciative for what you have!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Are we allowed eat meat???...Cos I just had a breakfast roll and don't wanna be going to hell an sh*t

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Damn!!

I thought Black Friday meant something else....

I went into work with shoe polish all over my face and dressed as a minstrel! Boy, is my face red...............if you could see it behind the polish, that is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Jakkass wrote: »

It seems a bit paradoxical having something like Black Friday straight after an event where you are meant to be appreciative for what you have!

On the whole premise of being appreciative for what you have, that might not be a bad idea for a holiday here right now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Wompa1 wrote: »
    On the whole premise of being appreciative for what you have, that might not be a bad idea for a holiday here right now.

Actually, it's even more relevant for us given our economic climate. Although we're going through a difficult stage, we still need to give thanks for our friends, family, and all that is around us.

As for who to give thanks to, that is another question. (You all know what my answer is :))

I wouldn't pass up a birra turkey.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭KingMambo26

Jakkass wrote: »

On that note, I noticed lots of Irish people in fb wishing Happy thanksgiving. WTF?

Army v Navy football game on the box anywhere folks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

just wondering though (don't want to make an expensive phone call to NY for this)

do they get the day off work (ala bank holiday) over there on Black Friday?

or is that why the shops open so early?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

i would have seen friday as a more greenish colour, but thats just me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭General Zod

He used to play with the Virgin Prunes and has made a living for the last 30 years by following Bono around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 363 ✭✭Rockn

Yeah it seems to be something we've borrowed from the Americans. Maybe they can have bogger shopping day in return.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 valuseeker

Got my Apple Black Friday huge discount e-mail this morning . Do they really think us Irish are thick,

The prices on their Irish site and US site on theexact same, except one is Euros and the other in Dollars.

Today 1 dollar trades at €1.32. Some mark up by Apple. Maybe they know something about the € that we dont

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

valuseeker wrote: »
    Got my Apple Black Friday huge discount e-mail this morning . Do they really think us Irish are thick,

The prices on their Irish site and US site on theexact same, except one is Euros and the other in Dollars.

Today 1 dollar trades at €1.32. Some mark up by Apple. Maybe they know something about the € that we dont

Aptly named poster is aptly named.
    Do they really think us Irish are thick,

Yes they do, and by all accounts they have perfect reason for thinking like that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement