Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Direct Me to the Winter Gloves Sticky

• 26-11-2010 10:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

Or make one if one doesn't exist. Burrrrrrrrrrrrr!

I'm a newb. This morning I decided to double up with my winter cycling gloves under my motorbike gloves. Surely that would stop my hands from going numb. Not so!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Or make one if one doesn't exist. Burrrrrrrrrrrrr!

I'm a newb. This morning I decided to double up with my winter cycling gloves under my motorbike gloves. Surely that would stop my hands from going numb. Not so!

The solution in order of effectiveness.

Mittens.
    Wind deflectors.
    Heated grips.
    Good gloves.

The reason for it is clear. Wind is your enemy, but truly effective gloves would be useless at anything under 60kph because you would sweat them wet.

I use good gloves and heated grips. Because I have a irrational fear of mittens and can't find any wind deflectors for my bike that don't require some sort of effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 motthomas

I wear a set of A*stars Jet Road Goretex gloves and find them pretty good for the morning spins. I have a 20min trip to work on the M50 and they keep me dry and warm. Only in the coldest few mornings recently would my fingertips start to get pretty cold but its only for the last few mins of the journey and its definately bearable. They are the older "model" though so maybe the newer ones are better.

Id say to get complete comfort though you'd have to combine good gloves with either wind deflectors or heated grips. What kind of gloves do you wear at the moment?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Sids Not

These are the only ones i wear during the winter....mmmmmmm warm....:p

Sids Not wrote: »
    These are the only ones i wear during the winter....mmmmmmm warm....:p

Looks like you make a mean casserole.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

I've only got winter gloves ATM, basically one layer of leather with bits of plastic on. Really need to get winter gloves, no time until Saturday though :(

• Advertisement

Looks like you make a mean casserole.

MMMMMMM ...tis the weather for it....:)

As for proper gloves i found handlebar muffs(:D) the best thing in my courier days...no gloves ever kept my hands warm...still dont..:(

MMMMMMM ...tis the weather for it....:)

As for proper gloves i found handlebar muffs(:D) the best thing in my courier days...no gloves ever kept my hands warm...still dont..:(

I know the mittens are good. But every time I go to look at a pair I think of this and just can't do it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Muffs would look slightly out of place on the SV I think :pac:

KamiKazi wrote: »
    Muffs would look slightly out of place on the SV I think :pac:

As long as my hands were warm i would'nt give a flyin fcuk..........i'd put them on my gsxr if i had to..;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Muffs look terrible on every bike.

• Advertisement

Cant agree with you on that....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Cant agree with you on that....

Ah arse-floss - my favourite.

I want to see her changing gear with those shoes:p

OP - try on a few pairs of decent winter gloves in a bike shop near you. Don't buy gloves off the 'net as you are almost certain to get the size wrong. I currently favour the Spada Enforcer...

'c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 wha?

Got a pair of silk glove liners offa gee-bay for bout a tenner, world of difference

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Silk liner gloves.
    Then regular pair of mid-cost gloves.
    Then cover them with a pair of those stretchy 'magic gloves'.

Restricts movement a little (but not so that it's dangerous). But the layers keep me very warm.

Of course, this is only when the temp is <5c. Above that, I remove the 'magic gloves', and above 10c I remove the silk liners.

Here's what the gloves look like:
    http://knitfingerlessgloves.com/magic-knit-fingerless-gloves.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

What about a pair of latex gloves under regular gloves? Anyone try this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

TheZohan wrote: »
    What about a pair of latex gloves under regular gloves? Anyone try this?

Year's ago in work when we were only issued with leather gauntlet type gloves (no lining) we use to use marigold gloves in the wet and snow.. Worked a threat but your hands stank of rubber!.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

Hope ye are getting the good stuff now makikomi!!!

the only solution lads is what i avoided for years as it was percieved by fools like me as unmanly.

until i bought a bike with the heated grips already fitted.

there is no comparison.

now i wear my hein gerike goretex summer gloves all year and i'm comfy.
    and dry as they really are waterproof!

Do it, you deserve it!

Advertisement