Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1Gb Broadband?

• 26-11-2010 11:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭

Singapore rolls out 1Gb broadband to domestic users.

In Cork I got around 1Mb.

I feel like I'm living in the developing, not the developed world :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

What is more impressive is that they were where we are now only a year ago

http://www.asiaone.com/Digital/Features/Story/A1Story20090907-166137.html

You just need the drive to do it, it ain't rocket science.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

Max001 wrote: »

link?

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Max001

K, one time only, I'm gonna humour you. Link to what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

http://www.m1.com.sg/fibre/start.html#hs2
    1000/500 Mbps for S$399 (€228) monthly.

Singapore is the third most densely populated country in the world - 5m people in an area not much bigger than the Isle of Man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

Max001 wrote: »

<facepalm> urgh.

So what? A country has faster bb speeds than IRL????
    How does this not make us as developed or in your own terms a developing world?

We have better human rights records than China... but I suppose BB speeds to yourself is more a measure of how developed a country is over anything else? :confused:

Do you think the U.S is developed? They have worse helth care rankings than Cuba, do you think the U.S citizens see themselves as a developing country becasue someone else has ONE aspect better than them?

If you look at Chinas populous and density there are far more people per sq foot in their cities than IRL hence its way more cost effective for an ISP there to roll out higher speeds. Their average per person usage is also far higher , all in all - more people using more bandwidth makes for a viable market.

Irl bb speed roll outs will catch up with demand from people. Hell we would have 1gb bb now if we were all willing to pay through the nose for it becasue we simply do not have the population density per city area to make it a worthwhile cost effective venture for any company to try and make money back on vs. the cost of rolling it out.

As demand goes up for higher speeds and costs come down then we will see the end result... until then please realise that companies will only make products if they are SURE they will make the money back. Irl at the mo is too risky a venture to try and invest the billions of euro mark needed to deliver 1gb speeds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Wicknight wrote: »
    You just need the drive to do it, it ain't rocket science.

And the money. The only places in Ireland where this would be financially feasible would be in the most densely populated areas of Dublin, Cork and possibly Limerick. It wouldnt even stretch to the suburbs because they would be too sparsely populated given the costs to set up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Hogzy wrote: »
    The only places in Ireland where this would be financially feasible would be in the most densely populated areas of Dublin, Cork and possibly Limerick.

You must be a Green Party member:rolleyes:. They seem to think there are only three cities - not 5. In the two you omitted (Waterford/Galway) UPC provide the fastest broadband (ex FTTH) in the country (after Casey Cablevision in Dungarvan - also in Waterford).

And, AFAIK, Galway is bigger than Limerick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Freddie59 wrote: »
    You must be a Green Party member:rolleyes:. They seem to think there are only three cities - not 5. In the two you omitted (Waterford/Galway) UPC provide the fastest broadband (ex FTTH) in the country (after Casey Cablevision in Dungarvan - also in Waterford).

And, AFAIK, Galway is bigger than Limerick.

lol you must be one of those unrealistic Fianna Fail members.

Firstly. Dublin, Cork and Limerick would be the only cities that would more than likely have a population density large enough to make 1GB broadband feasible. Whats the point in investing so much if you will only reach 7-8k potential customers. The cost of broadband set up runs on distance and not on the amount of people living in an area.

And Galway is not bigger than Limerick.

Im sick sh*t of people giving out about crap like "oh but Kilkenny and Galway and Waterford are cities too blah blah blah" Yeah they are called cities but thats where their city like features stop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Only €1-2 Billion would bring fibre to everyone in the whole country. How much are those banks costing again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Only €1-2 Billion would bring fibre to everyone in the whole country. How much are those banks costing again?

You couldn't possibly mean spending something on the people of the country now could you? That'd be against the ideology of FF. They only have time for developers and banks.

But yes the cost of rolling out Fibre to almost everybody wouldn't cost that much (maybe 2 billion)and would be a better driver of economic growth than pouring billions down the toilet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭daelight

Recent change of provider gave me this -

Screenshot2010-11-26at082659.png

Downloading an Ubuntu Distro from a JP FTP is ridiculously fast :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

And the money. The only places in Ireland where this would be financially feasible would be in the most densely populated areas of Dublin, Cork and possibly Limerick. It wouldnt even stretch to the suburbs because they would be too sparsely populated given the costs to set up.

That's an off repeated lie by Eircom and Government in the past.

Universal fibre in Ireland is NO HARDER than Universal ESB!

It would cost the same as a 4G Mobile rollout.

€1.5Billion

make more sense than Metro North, for generating Wealth.

It's also MUCH greener than Mobile.

Latest Ministerial Waffle
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056101378

maybe some very rural would get only 15Mbps (but as a minimum, not up to)
    About 1/2 the population could get 1Gbps
    Most of the rest close to the 120Mbps that UPC will eventually have in more than 5 Cities

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

lol you must be one of those unrealistic Fianna Fail members.

Firstly. Dublin, Cork and Limerick would be the only cities that would more than likely have a population density large enough to make 1GB broadband feasible. Whats the point in investing so much if you will only reach 7-8k potential customers. The cost of broadband set up runs on distance and not on the amount of people living in an area.

And Galway is not bigger than Limerick.

Im sick sh*t of people giving out about crap like "oh but Kilkenny and Galway and Waterford are cities too blah blah blah" Yeah they are called cities but thats where their city like features stop.
    Galway is bigger than Limerick but only on a technicality a large part surrounding Limerick City that contains some mad number of people is not within the city Limits hence why Galway City is said to be bigger. Anyway it could be possible to roll out fiber technology by using ESB networks but at the moment it's not feasible due to the large capital investment required.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Xennon

FTTH is where technology is heading, anything in between is a short gap. But when it comes to communications in this country we seem to take the stop gap route. So we waste money using technologies which soon become outdated or simply cannot handle the demand.
    IMHO we should simply stop wasting money and start investing in an infrastructural technology that will support data transmission for the foreseeable future.
    We also have a situation where the water distribution network is in dire need of an overhaul and metering. Would it not make sense to at least investigate the combining of works for both these services.
    We have the ability and the workforce to basically build this country whatever way we want, and now would be the most cost effective time to achieve this.
    Just to add, if by chance we ever do get around to building this infrastructure, can we please keep it this time (ref: Eircom network)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Xennon wrote: »
    We also have a situation where the water distribution network is in dire need of an overhaul and metering. Would it not make sense to at least investigate the combining of works for both these services.

http://irelandoffline.org/2010/10/irelandoffline-have-quietly-been-working-on-a-plan/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 614 ✭✭✭colinod0806

i dont want 1gb broadband. id hit the 250gb aup in no time:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

FYI information Singapore is not China! It is an island state, Singapore is the city and the city is all there is.

It is one of the richest nation worldwide person for person.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

CorkMan wrote: »
    FYI information Singapore is not China! It is an island state, Singapore is the city and the city is all there is.

It is one of the richest nation worldwide person for person.
    and it smells of flowers. :)

well the airport does, that's as far as i got on a stop off on my way to Oz. would have loved to have stopped off for a while to see the place tho if i'd had more time.

Advertisement