Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near 1 year old bag ripped, return possible?

Options
  • 26-11-2010 11:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

I bought a messenger bag last mid-December from a store and a few days ago a tear has formed at the side of the bag, just below the strap. Would it still be possible to get a refund or am I out of luck? I still have the receipt.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,979 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Being honest, Id be embarrassed to go into a place 11 months later with a bag that I had used for 12 months. for god knows what to complain about a hole.
    You would be chancing your arm. For all the vendor knows you were lugging rocks around in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Not unless it's guaranteed. Wear and tear under the straps is a common sign of the weight being too much for the bag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

The advice here is rubbish (if the cause is not self-inflicted). I had a Jansport bag (admittedly with a "lifetime" guarantee) that tore at the top after 18 months. Went back and was given a new one. Sure in your case (particularly if not a Jansport brand) you might have to argue a bit, but given it is under a year (and this would not matter anyway under the Sales of Goods and Supplies of Services Act, which you would not bother invoking for the cost of a bag) they have no grounds to deny you on the usual basis of "oh its out of warranty."

A question though - what do you think caused the damage? They might (which is fair if it is the case) be able to determine if it was caused by too much weight as oppossed to poor workmanship.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I'd offer a repair.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

A lot may depend on the brand, and if a lifetime warranty was offered. Additionally, it depends on the use you've put it through.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

tommy21 wrote: »
    The advice here is rubbish (if the cause is not self-inflicted). I had a Jansport bag (admittedly with a "lifetime" guarantee) that tore at the top after 18 months. Went back and was given a new one. Sure in your case (particularly if not a Jansport brand) you might have to argue a bit, but given it is under a year (and this would not matter anyway under the Sales of Goods and Supplies of Services Act, which you would not bother invoking for the cost of a bag) they have no grounds to deny you on the usual basis of "oh its out of warranty."

A question though - what do you think caused the damage? They might (which is fair if it is the case) be able to determine if it was caused by too much weight as oppossed to poor workmanship.

Yep, there is a big difference in whether or not it's guaranteed or even supposed to be very durable. All types of branded bags like Jansport etc. the OP should be able to get some comeback, probably not a refund though. If it is NOT guaranteed and is just say a bag from H&M..there is no comeback really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Doc OC

I have to admit that I had been overpacking it. Also, I haven't found anything regarding a warranty. I'll probably try and repair the bag and get a better one after the new year.

Thanks for the help.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Jansports "lifetime" guarantee is pretty restricted. "Our warranty applies when the product is used for the purpose intended, under normal conditions, and does not apply to damages caused by typical wear and tear over time, unreasonable use, accidents or neglect".
    In other words, not a whole lot more than your statutory rights anyway.

If I were the retailer I'd offer a repair. They're under no obligation to replace it wholesale after such a length of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

After 11 months I doubt you'd be really entitled to anything. Your best bet would be to go into the shop and politely and calmly explain the issue and they might offer a repair.

That is what I generally offer when a customer comes in with an issue like that. It's been used too long to be considered as a genuine fault but if the customer is polite and pleasant about it I will always try to get it repaired for them. If they are rude however, my hands would always be tied and there would be nothing I could do for them.

Advertisement